SASS Wire Forum

Movement

Smokestack SASS#87384

I was told by a couple of people at a match today that there was a recent change to the rules regarding moving with a long gun. I have looked and can not find it in the rule book. Apparently Pale Wolf recently clarified what is and is not OK as far as walking while slam firing with a '97 etc. If anyone cane help me to find this clarification or the new rule in the book, I would appreciate it.

Smokestack

Read the June Chronicle editorial. The "old" rule was based on interpreting the existing rules. The June Chronicle says that interpretation is wrong. Right, wrong, whatever, moving while shooting is probably a dead issue just like the "new" lever rule.

I am aware that tex does not like it. What I am looking for is whether or not there was a change in the rules so that when I am running the timer or asked to make a call I can do so based on our rule books, not tex's opinion. Thanks.

There has been NO CHANGE to the "basketball traveling rule" that was applied "as written" to allow a shooter to move while slam-firing an 1897 pump shotgun IF THE STAGE DIRECTIONS ALLOWED DOING SO

(e.g. "engage targets from anywhere between 'A' & 'B' ")

In this case it is probably not just Tex's opinion. There never was anything in the existing rules that specifically allowed shooting while moving. You cannot find a section in the rules titled "Shooting While Moving." It was an interpretation of the basketball traveling rule.

There has been NO CHANGE to the "basketball traveling rule" that was applied "as written" to allow a shooter to move while slam-firing an 1897 pump shotgun IF THE STAGE DIRECTIONS ALLOWED DOING SO

(e.g. "engage targets from anywhere between 'A' & 'B' ")

Thank you, that is how I understood it.

In this case it is probably not just Tex's opinion. There never was anything in the existing rules that specifically allowed shooting while moving. You cannot find a section in the rules titled "Shooting While Moving." It was an interpretation of the basketball traveling rule.

There USED to be... "if the stage directions allowed it".

There also USED to be a reference in the "Stage Conventions" regarding "No moving with a cocked/loaded firearm" that, according to the "preamble" of the Conventions, could be over-written by stage directions.

BOTH of those references were DELETED quite some time ago.

<_<

There USED to be... "if the stage directions allowed it".

There also USED to be a reference in the "Stage Conventions" regarding "No moving with a cocked/loaded firearm" that, according to the "preamble" of the Conventions, could be over-written by stage directions.

BOTH of those references were DELETED quite some time ago.

<_<

Yep, I know. I tried to find the old references but the oldest rule book I have is dated 1997 and the references are not in there.

Yep, I know. I tried to find the old references but the oldest rule book I have is dated 1997 and the references are not in there.

I don't have the actual dates handy, but the original version of the Stage Conventions was written as such.

If someone NEEDS to find the reference (which is a moot point, anyway), it is likely in a back issue of the "Territorial Bulletin" or CC.

The first version of the RO1 also contained the allowance...the "basketball traveling rule" was instituted with the publication of the RO2 Course.

(I happened to be standing by the table when THAT discussion came up...pointed out that the RO1 allowed movement...the response was "then we'll have to DELETE that statement from the RO1 to comply with the new rule that's in the RO2".)

Archived