SASS Wire Forum

looking for good accurate 45-70 loads in a Marlin CB

I have a new to me Marlin 1895 cowboy coming and would like to get an idea of what loads work in this gun. I know you can not post load data on the wire but if you would be kind enough to PM some published data or just tell me what bullet and powder combination you like and I will figure out the charge my gun likes. Thanks

And yes we all know that 70 grains of 2F works :wacko:

I used a 350 grain Gould's Express cast hollow point out of a Lyman mold, years ago.

Lighter payload equals less recoil, a consideration for follow up shots or multiple rounds downrange during a match.

I don't know if Lyman still makes the mold or not and haven't looked to see if a comparable pill is commercially available, but we had very good success with that bullet out of an original Sharps, factory converted from the tobacco cutter.

(Yes I know where it is and no I don't have it, and no I won't tell you where it is, he won't trade out of it, I tried!) :P

Anybody use Reloder 10 in their .45-70s? Alliant publishes loads for jacketed bullets using it (that's why I bought it) but none for lead bullets.

trail boss, 5744 4198 4895 rel7 varget 2400 3031 4064 748

I'll send you a PM for a load using IMR 4198 that is good to at least 300 yards if you are using a creedmoor style tang sight. It was given to me by a SASS shooter who was kind enough to share it with me. The load is not listed in the newer editions of the Lyman manuals. Seems that using fillers has fallen out of favor with most of the reloading manual publishers.

Someone shooting one can chime in with the exact measurment, but I know for sure that there is a maximum OAL for the rifle to feed properly from the magazine. Many of the heaviier weight bullets will have to be seated deeper into the case so as to not exceed the maximum OAL for the action. This will increase the velocity and chamber pressures.

Also bullets lighter than 405 grains may have to be pushed a little faster than the minimum published loads to stabilize properly. It will depend on the rate of twist your rifle has. If your rounds keyhole or have a very bad grouping then slowly increase the charge to move the bullet a little faster but DO NOT exceede the maximum published loads for a 45-70 lever gun. In my sharps anything less than the max charge of of trailboss will not stabilize a 350 grain bulet well enough to get less than a 12 in group at 50 yards, Don't have the same issues with 405 grain and larger bullets.

IMR 3031 also works well but I have not worked up any loads for it.

BTW there IS a difference between IMR-4198 and H-4198 even though they are now made by the same company. The powders are similar but they ARE NOT 100% interchangeable. Same goes for any other powder that has the same # with IMR as the prefix vs H. (4895, 3031 ect)

350 grain at .458 bullet 5744 powder 25 to 26.5 to your choice great load for long range cut it down a little for Cody / Dixon don't worry if you have powder left over. Have loaded around 1500rds in my marlin

2x4

PM sent

Reading up you will want to slug your barrel, Microgrove rifling usually needs a slightly larger bullet than Balard cut.

Watch out for that 3X8 guy he shoots his Marlin really well. :)

Bob, the Lyman 457643 bullet was specifically designed by Don Shay for lever action 45-70 rifles.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=74

400gr - COL1.530 - BC 0.280 - SD 0.272

A Marlin Cowboy is

26" Tapered octagon barrel with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves) Twist Rate 1:20

So cast the 457643 in 1:20 lead/tin alloy because it will obturate nicely in the Ballard type rifling

OK - Powders ... Lyman states that IMR 5744 performs best in their tests for the bullet. Since you probably don't have the Lyman Handloading Handbook - I'll PM you the loading data

Now for accuracy at 200-300yds with a lever rifle, don't expect dime sized groups. Your groups will most likely be in the 3 - 5" range at that distance

Shoot Em Straight and Enjoy Your New Rifle!

350 grain at .458 bullet 5744 powder 25 to 26.5 to your choice great load for long range cut it down a little for Cody / Dixon don't worry if you have powder left over. Have loaded around 1500rds in my marlin

2x4

+1. By the Accurate reloading tables, this is below minimum for the 350 gr lead bullet and 5744, but it works great. Very accurate and soft shooting up to around 100 yds, and a sweet unsupported Cody-Dixon load. Over 100 up to about 300 load up to midrange on the Accurate tables.

5744 was originally designed as a smokeless replacement (not volume for volume! check the loading data~) for black powder cartridges (like the .38-55 and .45-70), and this load works great in my Marlin and Buffalo Classic. For longer ranges when I need a heavier bullet, I go to the 405 gr. Check the Accurate tables.

I use a very tight crimp, and don't have a problem with unburned powder.

Laz

PS - John Boy - Accurate makes 5744, not IMR.

+1.

PS - John Boy - Accurate makes 5744, not IMR.

You are both right. Like many other powders mfgs use the same number with their prefix. That is why it is always a good idea to be sure to include the mfgr.

Thanks, Dave. I've not heard of IMR 5744 before. I can't find it on IMR's website.

I know 3x8 was referring to Accurate 5744, cause I got that load from him years ago!

Laz

Thanks, Dave. I've not heard of IMR 5744 before. I can't find it on IMR's website.

I know 3x8 was referring to Accurate 5744, cause I got that load from him years ago!

Laz

I have seen it referenced a lot of times but I no longer see it on the IMR/hodgdon website. I suspect is has been discontinued.

Archived