SASS Wire Forum

MEC reloader

Hoss

I posted a WTB on the classified page, but also loking for some advice. I currently use a Lee Loadall, and while it certainly works, I'm wanting to upgrade to soomethig a little better. MEC seems to be the industry leader, from what I have read. I'm considering a Sizemaster, Grabber or a 9000. opinions? Opinions on other brands of shotshell presses?

MEC 8567 Grabber I have and fantastic re-loader. Used the Lee Load All prior to getting the grabber and still have it. Happy with both.

Check them all out:

JRJ

Hoss'

All three of the proposed presses are just fine. Just depends on how fast you need the production to be. The Sizemaster is capable of 200 shells per hour, while the Grabber will run about 400, and the 9000 can reach 500 per hour.

Just depends on the demand you have for ammo, and the time you wish to spend doing it. I have used all three and any one of them will do a great job. I keep a Sizemaster set up all the time, ready to produce 12 ga low recoil low noise loads for CAS. This way I don't have to bother my other presses which are set up for other Clay Target loads.

The Sizemaster is fast enough for my needs as I shoot 3 matches per month, and I can load 3 months supply in a little over an hour. Plenty fast for me.

RBK

The Sizemaster is a good Single Stage press. It is not a progressive so you will do more work and load slower. Since you already have something similar, you may not be as happy with merely going to that.

The next step up is the650 which is a progressive, but it doesn't resize the shells. So you would also need a Super Sizer. That is what I have as I got it cheap. I use the Super Sizer to resize and have the shells ready to load later. The biggest advantage of this set up is that it is very easy to set up and needs no adjustment once it is set up for a type of hull and the same load.

The next step up is the Grabber which does resize. That is great so you can do it all at once. But the resizer makes the press much more complicated. Once it is set up, it is great, but if you need to change much or it needs readjusting you will have to take more time and be more knowledgeable. The Grabber is a really great press for nearly all of our needs unless we shoot LOTS of shotgun such as a trap shooter that shoots cowboy as well.

On all my shot guns shells they are put thru the super sizer first and then into the grabber. The grabber does resize but I go a step further and after they are loaded my wife puts them through the go nogo sizer.

Extra work on .38 re-loading also as all goes through go nogo sizer.

It does pay off in the end.

Hoss, I have a grabber for you. Call me after 5 Friday or anytime aft e r. Busy today getting my aunt home. I can not go to George West Sat but Sunday we shoot here. Bring Verdadero and come shoot and I will make you a good deal which include your trying before you buy or money back soon afterwards.

Dream Chaser

Hoss you can't beat that offer from Dream Chaser.Mrs.Chaser I tried to PM you.You box would not take any PMs

I have two Mec 600 one setup for smokeless for my wife and the other for my BP ( I load the powder separate). I can crank out a decent amount using these single stage presses. One of these I got for nothing and the other cost practically nothing. But for the right price I would upgrade.

Sgt H

I went from a Lee Load All II to a MEC Grabber. The MEC not only loads about 4 times faster, it makes much better shells. The turkey-feather sizer does a better job than the Lee ring, the 4 stage crimp is also vastly better than the Lee. I bought one of the Uniquetek shell checkers - none of the shells loaded on the Lee would drop in. 98% of the shells loaded with the MEC drop in & fall out. You can tell a difference when shooting them too.

The MEC does take some getting used to when starting up & finishing off a run of shells. Get ready to clean up some spilled powder &/or shot.

Holler

Are you looking for a single stage or progressive press? I had a 600 and 650 that I'm using now. One is a single stage meaning you must remove the shell to each stage iirc and the other allows you to rotate the base plate and add another shell. MEC are good reliable machines with a good manufactor behind them it's not a Dillion but it doesn't cost the price of the 900 Dillion either. But Dillion stands by their machines like no other manufactor that I know of. They warranty the machine for the life of the machine and then they replace it.

Archived