SASS Wire Forum

SASS Convension Pig Hunt...Any Interest?

Rancho Roy

Thanks for all the advise. I'm still working on it. Wish it was easier to have success during the day as I'm not sure how many will be interested in a night shoot.

Stay tuned, I'll have some hard facts and pricing within a week or so. This thing called "work" keeps getting in the way of my "play".....

Do you guys eat them, or are the feral hogs too nasty?

The ones round here are great, especially if they have fed out on well on acorns. Doesn't look like nothing but scrub for them to eat in texas.

We had whole wild hog roast in past. For comparison a grocery store pork loin was cooked. Totally different tastes. Wild hog any day. Commercial pork (and chicken) needs to be fried or covered in barbeque sauce to make it palatable.

At our little country church, we have a monthly family style potluck meal after worship, BBQ wild hog is a favorite, especially the ribs.

My wife looks forward to it.

In Fall they get fat on pecans. I love shooting and grilling the young ones about 50 pounds. I seldom kill a big one to eat. Every year I kill and quarter 2 or 3 for giving away for friends to blend with deer for sausage.

Have fun

LL

Shoot the big'un looks like a BBQ and the compact a hot dog! :D

Shoot the big'un looks like a BBQ and the compact a hot dog! :D

Big one was hit 9 times before he went down.

Little one was once through the eye at 225yds.(Of course the grandson was shooting at a sow and didn't know the piglets were there in the grass.

Do you guys eat them, or are the feral hogs too nasty?

Yes and no.

Properly handled, they can be excellent.

that's the key

They are not bad

Not as good as deer, quail or Pheasant. Much better than waterfowl especially geese.

I disagree with a few explanations. The mature boars are nasty musky. The only way to make good meat is to trap them, castrate them, then feed out. Most folks just shoot them to feed the buzzards.

However, the mature sows and piglet under 30#-40# are great eating.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of deer meat. No fat, too dry and too minerally. the only way I like it is deer & pork sausage made from the wild sow.

The ones round here are great, especially if they have fed out on well on acorns. Doesn't look like nothing but scrub for them to eat in texas.

We had whole wild hog roast in past. For comparison a grocery store pork loin was cooked. Totally different tastes. Wild hog any day. Commercial pork (and chicken) needs to be fried or covered in barbeque sauce to make it palatable.

You don't know Texas very well. Here in the Hill Country we have a good crop of acorns this year and as mentioned they are getting the pecans too. The coastal areas and river bottoms are thick cover and plentiful food sources.

• 3 weeks later...

The whole thing doesn't sound kosher to me! ;) I used to hunt European wild boar down to Tennessee...about 50+ years ago, when I was younger and spry. Hunted with an outfitter with dogs and on stand. Range was close up...not more than 10 FEET to 25 yds! There were some "Roosian" and feral crossbreeds. Marinate them for awhile, and then roast 'em. More like lamb than pork IMHO...if I can remember that far back. No bacon on the Roosians. Very lean. Probably doesn't apply to ferals. I shot one at 10 ft with a 180gr. .30-06 from an 18" barrel carbine. Next trip I used a .33WCF with 200 gr. bullets. Range was about 25 yds or less. (You couldn't see any farther than that in the close brush/timer of central Tennessee. Had one in our party that used a bow and a sharp "stick" (arrow). One of the guides was brushed by a feral hawg. Fortunately the tush (tusk) on that side that brushed him was broken off or it would have laid his leg open, and where we were, he might have bled to death before we could get help! Try NOT to have to shoot from the front unless you can hit in the spine. The gristle on the head of some of these gritters can be tough.

Good hunting!

Guest Grass Range #51406

I have checked into guided hunts which is the only info I could get. $700 for 3 days and I have to have the meat cut and wrapped. I don't want any meat. I would like to do day hunts only; not night hunts. I don't mind buying a license or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this Pig Hunt I had suggested will not happen.. I called a number of outfitters and most were concerned about running a hunt for more than a dozen folks. And it seems there is not much Wild Pig hunting in the San Antonio area. Most areas where there is reasonable success are two or three hours away. Almost all hunting is done at night with specialized equipment, not open sighted lever action firearms where it might be impossible to see the sights.

I'm not comfortable in organizing a Pig Hunt in the San Antonio area at this time.

Sorry if expectations were not met.

Archived