SASS Wire Forum

SASS Convension Pig Hunt...Any Interest?

Rancho Roy

(Sorry about that...That would be CONVENTION....with a "T" )

The SASS convention will be held in San Antonio Texas this January. There is some might fine wild pig hunting in the area.

Is anyone interested in this "side" event if I make arrangements? Your lever action Cowboy rifles with jacketed or very hard cast lead should do just fine. Especially the 45LC versions. Or you could hunt with your 357 or 45LC revolvers. Could be some fun!

I would guess the cost would be around $200 for an afternoon and evening hunt.

What say you..............Interested?

That is correct. But if you have zero idea where to hunt and zero access if you did. You need to hire a guide or at least pay for access.

It is quite difficult to just show up in Texas and go hunting. Access is relatively tightly controlled.

I thought TX was so over run with feral hogs you could shoot them on site no special permit or license needed.

Perhaps he is talking guide cost, LAND LEASE etc

I have hunted since my hunters safety card dated 1964

I would not expect to attend the convention to shoot hogs with no plan, etc

The hogs will probably not be in the parking lot of the convention once they hear.

Word that some of us intend??.?..

I thought TX was so over run with feral hogs you could shoot them on site no special permit or license needed.

"Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Lots,of good info on that page about hog hunting in general.

I just shoot them around the house.They are almost every where.

"Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Lots,of good info on that page about hog hunting in general.

I hunt feral hogs on a friends place in north central Texas. H e has talked to the local Game Warden and we have been told that because of the crop damage he is having, they are classed as a nuisance and he told us we didn't need a license. Have been hunting them for the last 4 years with buying a license.

I hunt feral hogs on a friends place in north central Texas. H e has talked to the local Game Warden and we have been told that because of the crop damage he is having, they are classed as a nuisance and he told us we didn't need a license. Have been hunting them for the last 4 years with buying a license.

I'm just letting you know the law.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I lived in Middle Georgia in the 90s and our Deer Club got over run with the Varmites. I sat on my Deer Stand and shot several over a few days time with my Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester. It would knook 'em on their ass!

Hoss C.

Sounds like fun. But I really would suggest that you read the info provided about hunting in Texas. Resident license, non- resident license, feral hogs, depredating feral hogs and Hunter Safety courses are all things to be considered. You can read all about it here, http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits

Guest Grass Range #51406

I don't do conventions but if I show up can I do the pig hunt? Not opposed to paying

That is correct. But if you have zero idea where to hunt and zero access if you did. You need to hire a guide or at least pay for access.

It is quite difficult to just show up in Texas and go hunting. Access is relatively tightly controlled.

Amen brother. There aint nothin in Texas that's free especially when it comes to hunting. Take my advise, hire a REPUTABLE guide that maintains a nice kennel full of bay dogs. After deer season wraps up those pigs go nocturnal and you will never see one in the daylight without the dogs to roust them out of the mesquite brush.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the convention is during TX deer season. Getting access to large ranches to shoot hogs during deer season can be problematic.

Locating hogs without an excellent outfitter is chancey, at best. I have 160 acres right in a heavily populated(by hogs)area. It has been 5 weeks since I have seen one. At times, I will see groups of 25 or more every day for three weeks.

• 2 months later...

Wild Hogs got inside my yard fence last weekend and tore up a big patch in my fruit orchard and garden. Ticked me off.

I was able to kill one shooting out the back door about 25 yards Saturday night. With .300 Black suppressed AR15 SBR & night vision. Put the IR laser dot on him and bang.

I night hunt a lot on foot. Stalking within 50 yards for a DRT brain shot with a suppressed rifle shooting subsonic hand loads is a rush.

I get them in my pastures routinely doing damage. Also they are plentiful on roadways at night. Tore my truck up on one 3 years ago.

Message is hogs are feral and plentiful. They do roam a lot so getting a guided hunt who knows their patterns almost guarantees a shot. I have two game cams monitoring and hunt a lot, yet I still can't routinely predict their patterns. A guide with access to multiple ranches has a much better probability of a successful hunt.

For a real hoot, get a helicopter hog hunt. Pricey but a great memory.

Have fun,

LL

How about a night hunt with a 300 blackout with night vision scope and suppressed with subsonic rounds?

KK

Kiowa I own this weapon!

A great idea! There are several ranches in Central Texas that sell hogs hunts. A good place to start is the texashuntingforum.com in the guide section. Post a request for a hog hunt and you will most likely have several guides offering you a hunt. I have had a great deal of success locating hunts in Central Texas using that resource. The majority of hog hunting is done in the night hours. Hogs here are pretty much nocturnal, they typically sleep and sit tight during the lighted hours with limited movement. The most successful way to hunt hogs around Central Texas is over a feeder. Stalk and walk doesn't produce as good as results the fore mentioned.

This was one of the larger hogs we took 74 miles west of San Antonio in the Gonzales area. It actually was in day light hours. Over all, our sucsess rate was far better in the evening.

DSC00495.jpg

Archived