SASS Wire Forum

gun cart

guitar_slinger

It's not going to win the "prettiest cart" at the shoot contest but it'll work. Just finished building it tonight. Will get to test it out at the next shoot.

5A4AD58F-AC9D-4243-A343-5F8ADD0BC929_zps

Guitar Slinger

It looks like a well thought out gun cart. I'll bet it works out just fine.

It looks like a well thought out gun cart. I'll bet it works out just fine.

Made a few mistakes, the next one will be better. This one should do for a while. I'll shake out the things to change and build another one over the winter to correct all the things I may not like about this one.

Guitar Slinger

Looks great and very secure for the firearms. Might want to put a peg on each end of the top section, otherwise you may have a gun slide off and end up on the ground.

Really like the bent wood handles, very nice touch.

Looks like it will work just fine!

My wooden carts were always a work in progress, with each cart a little better than the last.

Built three.

Then I bought a Rugged Gear 4-gun cart.

Looks familiar. I would build a box on the back for keys and such, and a box on the front for ammo/cooler.

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Yep, looks very familiar.

I have a box for the front (old box I've been using as a shootin box for years). I most likely will build something for the back unless I decide to build a totally new cart which is a possibility.

I measured the hole for my axle wrong and it won't fold flat (put the hole too close to the bottom so it folds to about a 45 degree angle instead of flat. I decided to just put 2 pieces of lumber across the joint to lock it upright. I drive a rather large SUV (Honda Pilot) so it will fit laying on its side in the back without folding. "brain fart" as I was laying it out. Next one will fold flat. :D

Looks good. I am on version 5 working on 6 of my cart(s). I do it mostly for fun and keep my brain working. Your wheels and tires look like some I have used. I had problems with them holding air. I used a small bottle of "green slime" tire sealer and it worked great. Keep up the good work and have fun with it.

Slim

Great start! Looks pretty.

Think you will find those small tires will be hard to push across rough ground and gravel. Larger tires, up to 18-20 inches, are more common. Air inflated tires go flat easily - the never-go-flat tires are pretty handy.

The front support leg looks a little fragile, especially if those are just three screws. A front leg gets a LOT of impact force as you "slide to a stop" pushing your 40 pounds of gear. I don't feel like I have too much wood in the front leg of mine, and the leg is 1 1/2" thick laminated oak, about 4 inches wide, with a rabbet on the leg to provide extra support by the front of the cart rather than having just a screw-attached leg with a large shear plane.

For sure you will need some sort of retainer for the barrels of the guns, up at the crossbar and pegs, to keep guns from falling forward and bouncing around. A single bar that captures all guns with one motion, and that can be opened and closed with one hand (or even with the butt of one of the guns you have in hand) is really pretty important. But, some folks have an individual leather thong for each gun, which they attach to each gun they put into the cart. Keeping your guns from bouncing around minimizes wear and tear on both the guns and the cart.

Good luck, most folks build two or more, first one ends up in the firewood pile. Mine sure did.

GJ

i like what you both have built , mine is a converted golf cart because it has served in more than one venue , spent first half of its life in three gun but it serves the purpose and its compact when packing , but as you know it has its drawbacks ,

Thanks guys.

The leg is more stout than it appears. It is a half rabbit joint glued in place with the 3 screws as extra insurance for the glue joint. Good point about the abuse. I may add 2 more (1 at each corner).

Being a guitar player, I have plenty of old guitar straps and strap buttons around and have rigged one to use for keeping the guns from falling forward. I like the leather thong idea and may have to work something out with that too.

I also added a shelf and a box to hold keys, cell phone, and extra stuff. Going to put a water bottle holder on it too.

Yes, my shop is a total mess right now. A couple projects going on plus been tying flies for the summer's fishing.

B667AC59-051D-45A4-AE80-DD46FE03D4A6_zps

Guitar Slinger

I am building my fifth cart.

# 1 was not easy to roll on rocky terrain and was given to a homebound fellow who wanted to stand his father's guns in the living room (each wears a trigger lock now).

#2 is my current wormy maple and oak cart for three guns. Too big for my Mustang. Makes me want to carry an extra longgun that always leads to trouble in a match (shoot what you brought)

#3 and #4 were made as loaners for local ranges from surplus pine and overstocked wheels. I made them a little lees than great so that no one would be tempted to 'borrow' them.

#5 is my new ultra-light all-steel cart (about 6-lbs). I work in metal fabrication and have designed a small two-gun cart that can have trays/boxes added for extra ammo, snacks, etc. as needed.

I am building my fifth cart.

# 1 was not easy to roll on rocky terrain and was given to a homebound fellow who wanted to stand his father's guns in the living room (each wears a trigger lock now).

#2 is my current wormy maple and oak cart for three guns. Too big for my Mustang. Makes me want to carry an extra longgun that always leads to trouble in a match (shoot what you brought)

#3 and #4 were made as loaners for local ranges from surplus pine and overstocked wheels. I made them a little lees than great so that no one would be tempted to 'borrow' them.

#5 is my new ultra-light all-steel cart (about 6-lbs). I work in metal fabrication and have designed a small two-gun cart that can have trays/boxes added for extra ammo, snacks, etc. as needed.

need a pic of number 5

I don't know about where you shoot but around here the wheels are two small to be comfortable to push around here. I prefer 10-16 inch wheels plus my next mod to my off the wall cart by Gunther will be to make it a four wheeler.having to till and push a cart is tyring I really would like to attach it to my electric scooter for towing to the bay then disconnect at the bay for use at the stage. Currently I'm using a old hooligan cart modified to fit on my scooter but it only holds four guns, not enough for side match day and the box is only large enough for tools and safety items I use saddlebags across the seat for ammo and other gear and the basket in front holds my bp tools when I shoot frontiersman but the cooler has to go on the floorboard in the way or I use a small lunch bag cooler hanging from the gun rest.

A shooter who's past had a really nice setup on his scooter. I need to break out the welder and build some mods in on both carts. Neighter have an umbrella holder have to use a gun slot plus on the scooter the umbrella is too low and gets in the way usuall. Never found the right umbrella need one that tilts at the right place, above the rest so you can block the sun but it doesn't interfere with access to the scooter or the cart.

I don't know about where you shoot but around here the wheels are two small to be comfortable to push around here. I prefer 10-16 inch wheels plus my next mod to my off the wall cart by Gunther will be to make it a four wheeler.having to till and push a cart is tyring I really would like to attach it to my electric scooter for towing to the bay then disconnect at the bay for use at the stage. Currently I'm using a old hooligan cart modified to fit on my scooter but it only holds four guns, not enough for side match day and the box is only large enough for tools and safety items I use saddlebags across the seat for ammo and other gear and the basket in front holds my bp tools when I shoot frontiersman but the cooler has to go on the floorboard in the way or I use a small lunch bag cooler hanging from the gun rest.

A shooter who's past had a really nice setup on his scooter. I need to break out the welder and build some mods in on both carts. Neighter have an umbrella holder have to use a gun slot plus on the scooter the umbrella is too low and gets in the way usuall. Never found the right umbrella need one that tilts at the right place, above the rest so you can block the sun but it doesn't interfere with access to the scooter or the cart.

I don't think wheel diameter is going to be a problem most of the places I shoot. The wide tires are more of a benefit pushing through gravel and loose dirt. If they are too short to clear ruts then larger wheels will be an easy change (remove 2 nuts, slide on 2 new wheels, swap out the front legs and I'm done).

Like others, I'm probably going to make several of these before I get it right.

Guitar Slinger

Made a few mistakes, the next one will be better. This one should do for a while. I'll shake out the things to change and build another one over the winter to correct all the things I may not like about this one.

Guitar Slinger

Planned on building another one while I was building my first. That was 4 years ago and haven't even thought about building another.

I built the first one out of pine as a "trial" with the intention of building another one out of hardwood when I had the kinks worked out of this one. Turned out I didn't want the extra weight of the hardwood.

Archived