SASS Wire Forum

Fellow Adult Air Gun Nuts out there?

Not nearly as nutty about them as I am my Cowboy Guns, but I do like exactly 50% of the two I have. Back in the 70's I bought a S&W pump up .22 air rifle. After many years of being forgotten in a barn, I took to a feller in NC who put it back in working order for. I haven't had time to mess with it much yet, but it does bring back some fond memories. I've learned my pumpin' arm ain't as strong as it used to be. :)

My other one is a Ruger that I bought at WalMart a couple of years ago. Never did care much for it. Horrible trigger.

Baikal IZH .177 air pistol. I shoot it a lot in my basement during the winter. Shoot 30 shot sessions, which are 1/2 of a normal International Match. Really helps calming the shooting nerves after the novelty has worn off of winter.

Church Key

BTW, Outdoor Life magazine has a pretty good review of 5 air rifles. One thng they stressed is don't get too excited about the supersonic ones. Not nearly as accurate.

You can get really good accuracy with them IF you have a pellet they like. I've found that air guns are very very sensitive to pellet weight and shape. Pointed? Flat? Domed? 8.9 grain? 8.9? 8.64? I think RWS, Gamo, and Crosman all put out sampler packs of pellets. I used to recommend to people who asked "What pellet works best?" (well, after I determined what they meant by "best") that they buy at least one, if not all the sample packs and test them all methodically. Some even did it.

I have an old DIANA, made by what's now RWS. It was once owned by my great aunt. I did some repair work to it a few years ago to return it to firing condition. I found that .177 BB's will just roll down the barrel and fall on the floor. But .177 pellets, make that old spring powered air rifle deadly.

I have two Crosman 357 CO2 Pellet Revolvers. I have a S&W M&P 40 semi auto bb gun. I got a Crosman 1077 8 shot Carbine what looks like a Ruger 10/22 and loads up with a rotary clip.

Fun Plinking and target shooting in the backyard. Election Signs make great target holders. Especially the Demo ones!

Jonesing for a nitro piston or springer rifle.

I have a Bakail IZH .177 and an Airforce Edge in .177. Our rifle club has indoor silhouette shoots every 2nd Sunday and weekly practice on Wednesday mornings . Sure breaks up the boredom of winter!

I have a benjamin Trail XL 1100 nitro piston 22 and my old sheridan blue streak 20. cal. The XL 1100 shoots almost to the velocity of 22 shorts and is as accurate as most 22 rifles. My old sheridan is my best for accuracy, and it is 50 years old. They just don't make them like they used to. I also do work on them if any SASS pards need to put one back into shooting condition. The parts to rebuild them are still available.

Mackenna

I have rebuilt a couple of Crossman and Benjamins in the past few years. I find them at yard sales and such when they just need a gasket kit. I fix the, shoot them and sell them for a profit.

I have been looking at a more serious pellet rifle for varmints. I really like the Sumatra lever guns, but have a hard time getting past the $500+ for a pellet gun, even if ti is a high-end .25 caliber six-shot lever gun with 15 power settings.

Archived