SASS Wire Forum

Your. Alias. .Your Story..Who...Why?

Jim No Horse

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still recommend No Horse's stand up out loud version. Many single words become run-on adjectival phrases that would turn Miss Allie Mo's neck pink. B)

Payne...you got me smiling....was gonna shoot a clean match recently...but decided even if I could do it ...it would take so long everyone would miss Supper....like the alias..Jim

• 2 weeks later...

As a not retired yet banker, I was looking for something representing money. And each time I would check out a name it was taken. Deborah said something about last red cent and now you know the rest of the story.

Red Cent..a banker that shoots good really good ..we need more shootin bankers in Texas...Dang thought this thread was gone...lets hear more...Jim

Mine is not as interesting or as witty as most, but my name is Tyson Friar. I'm active duty Army and have spent the last 11 years answering to 'Friar'. I'm also active within the motorcycle community and most there know me as Friar.

Although I'm not Catholic, I am a minister in the Assembly of God, and have always found the parallel ironic.

A 'firebrand' is defined as one devoted to their passions. Mine are God, guns and motorcycles, but mostly the first.

I started off as the Tucson Kid and since that was taken I switched to Tucson Tony. I wanted a real historic name and I was reading Arizona Rangers by Bill Oneal and the name Rye Miles just kinda jumped out at me. I've always loved Arizona so I went with Rye Miles.

Sgt. J.T. "Rye" Miles, Arizona Ranger, Sheriff of Tucson, Constable in Benson, Az and prison guard at Arizona State Prison. He was born in 1866 in Texas. He was a cowboy and drifted into Arizona and got into law enforcement. Killed 6 bad guys in his life. He was married and fathered 6 children. He died in 1942 in Casa Grande, Az. peacefully at home.

Rye ;)

My name is in honor of my two grandfathers- Grandpa Adams drove a rock truck for Sergeant Quarry his whole life. Grandpa Netolicky raised duroc hogs on the farm. In honor of two great men I became Sergeant Duroc.

My mistake on Rye Miles, he died in 1942 at the age of 76.

Hold on Rye...if you died in 1942 who did I buy that Walker Colt from this year?...sign me Confused Horse....lol...

Hold on Rye...if you died in 1942 who did I buy that Walker Colt from this year?...sign me Confused Horse....lol...

My ghost!!! :lol:

Yikes Rye...he sounded just like you...dang...fooled me...Stupid Horse

Yikes Rye...he sounded just like you...dang...fooled me...Stupid Horse

:lol:

I wanted an alias based on a historical character. I also wanted one based on a cowboy who spent some time in the North country where I am from. While searching through history books, I came across the story of the Rocky Mountain Ranger battalion. The RMR was established in northern Alberta in 1885. Its nickname was the Cowboy Cavalry. It was formed to put down the Riel Rebellion and guard the district of Cypress Hills. The Rocky Mountain Ranger was composed primarily of cowboys and ranchers from the northern US plains, and ex-Northwest Mounted Police (the Mounties).

The records show that a man with a great fondness for the Waterton Lakes region (otherwise known as Kootenai country) named John George Brown, and better known as Kootenai Brown, was the battalions chief scout and guide. Kootenai started out as a British Army Ensign in the Kings 8th Regiment of Foot, and was posted to India near the end of the India Mutiny. Finding Army life without battle lacking in activity, he sold his commission and made his way across the Atlantic, across Panama, and up the west coast to San Francisco. He worked as a drover until he heard of the Caribou Gold Rush in British Columbia and headed north. In 1865 he crossed through South Kootenai Pass into the Kootenai country, and was so struck with it, he decided then and there it would one day be his home. Prospecting didnt pay off, so he worked as a police constable, packer, whiskey trader and trapper. In the 1870s he made his way across the northern plains, through Montana and Dakota, and became a dispatch rider for the 7th Cavalry. Once he was shot in the back with a Blackfoot arrow, and according to the stories, pulled it himself and tended his own wound with turpentine. Later, he was captured by Sitting Bull on one of his rides, but managed to escape. After some years in the Northern plains, he got into trouble in Montana. He was accused of murdering a man in Ft. Benton. Sheriff John Healy believed Kootenais account of self-defense, and Kootenai was acquitted. After that, Kootenai decided it was time to take up residence in the Kootenai. He hunted, fished, and guided parties through the area for several years. Along the way, he encountered an orphan bear cub, which he fed and raised, and named Healy, after the man who helped him win his acquittal. Then with the start of the Riel Rebellion, and the formation of the Rocky Mountain Ranger, Kootenai returned to the trail. After the rebellion was quelled, Kootenai returned home, and began to petition the legislature to preserve and protect the Kootenai region. He was the main push to create the park that today is known as Waterton Lakes on the Canadian side of the border, and Glacier National Park on the US side. He was appointed as the first Park Supervisor of the area, and served that role until his death in 1916 at 77 years of age.

There were enough tenuous ties between Kootenais travels and my own to make his story compelling to me. He spent some time in the Red River Valley of Manitoba, and my ancestors homesteaded there. I lived in the Caribou Gold Rush district as a child. When I first heard of Cowboy Action Shooting, I lived in Healy, Alaska, and the story of Kootenais pet bear named Healy cinched the deal for me right there.

A biographer called him The Unknown Frontiersman and claimed that had most of his adventures happened further south, Kootenai would be as well-known as Davy Crockett. Ill leave that to historians to argue. But I dont use the moniker The Unknown Frontiersman because I think that more properly belongs to Captain George Baylor ;-)

• 1 year later...

Well - move the space two places to the left and it says : Levi Anarchy. Levi - in danish - means "Live in". Being a post-civil war Anarchist (Read William Goodwin, "All government is tyranny") kind' a guy, it kind of felt good. I was searching for a week and came along the Nephilim myth of Leviathan, a monster/creature, concept of things beyond control and the name emerged one late night through that string. Being a part of the Dust & Death gang from "Branchcreek", Djursland, Denmark with my Compadres in arms, the Pinkerton Brothers it all matched up.

I saw a western movie a long time ago. The line "Those bullets hit like a Lead Hammer" stuck in my mind and popped up when I needed a Cowboy name. :-)

My Paternal Grandad was Indian Jack Ripley. in the 1880s he was kicked off the ranch by his dad. Rode down into Mexico during the turn of the century and as I understand had some unsavory friends down there...I have pictures of him on horseback around El Paso from that time. He and my dad, also called Indian Jack (who is in my profile pic) looked alike. Dad also had some unsavory friends.

My gran son and gran daughters call me "gran'pa", my christian name is Jean-François, my wife and friends call me JF or Jef. That was it!

My family says I get obsessed with my hobbies (I prefer the term passionate!). I have always been drawn to activities that have their own little subculture going on with good people being the common theme. So for this new adventure I thought it would be fitting to combine two of my former passions, horses and caving.

Johny- I had a very special mare who was a once in a lifetime horse for me that I lost a few years ago. Losing her was like losing a family member. Her sire was Johny's Pride.

Blackhouse - I spent 20 years crawling through mud caving and exploring holes in the ground. Some of the best times were spent under Blackhouse Mountain in Pall Mall Tennessee near Sgt. Yorks place. A group of us rented a small shack for about six years which we called the Hideout. Our little circle of friends became known as the "The Blackhouse Mountain Gang"

I’m from New York and I transplanted to Maryland due to my job. I always wear a cowboy hat and boots. People in Long Island would always ask me if I was really from the West, I’d say YES, I’m from Brooklyn. It is West of LI. While in New York, I was a manager and when Tom, my Regional Manager came to Long Island from MD, He would always tell me the way I talk (twalk) and my science of humor reminded him of Andrew DICE Clay the comedian. Using colorful language I’d ask him “Wad’da mean?” Well when transferred to Maryland, I had to pick up my guns that were transferred from NY to a FFLC in MD. While waiting for the store owner to get my guns from the back, I saw a Ruger Vaquero in the show case. I asked him when he came to the front if I could see it. He said that’s the gun they use in Cow Boy Action Shooting. I gave a loud Scooby Doo “Haaaaaa”. Please tell me everything about this Cowboy shooting. Well he did, I went to see a match, went to a gun show to buy and trade guns for Cowboy guns and joined SASS. At that time you needed to pick three names you’d like for your Alias and you got the one not already used. Well DICE if figured sounded kind ‘a cool and reminded me of my roots in Long Island, New York. So in September of 1998, DICE, SASS #21400 was born.

Even people not in SASS call me Dice and I’ll only answer to that at a shoot. (Should anyone know my real name?)

My original choice was Shagnasty,after a character in a story my wife wrote in high school about a mountain man. Unfortunately it was already taken. My next choice was the Blarney kid, due to being descended from the clan that built Blarney Castle.

I chose mine because I was a medic in the Army National Guard. Most of that time spent in a combat arms unit, where medics are traditionally called "Doc." At least, it seems, trusted ones. I've answered to Doc or Doc Ward for a number of years, so I figured I wouldn't have to work hard to remember another name. In other words, I'm somewhat lazy, uncreative, and proud of the title.

Mine is taken from a Western Character written by Robert E. Howard. The same guy that wrote the short stories that inspired Conan The Barbarian. Breckenridge is a force of nature. Think Bull in a China Shop that inadvertently causes chaos and accidental suffering wherever he goes.

Well, I used to live in Alabama and my favorite tractor color (International Harvester Farmall's) is red. Red was also the color of the hair I used to have!

I've been using this alias on antique tractor forums since at least 1999. When I joined SASS it just seemed natural and even sounded "cowboy"!

I use "Doc" because I was a Paramedic for many years, I Tell People "Neugi" is an old Indian word for "He who has just joined the tribe". The reality is that the first time I shot with the club the lady keeping score said she did not know my name so she wrote down "New Guy".

I originally wanted Buster Jiggs, from the song Tyingng Knots in the Devils Tail,. (Sandy Bob and buster jigs) My riding partner for many many years I started calling him Sandy Bob, as his first name is Bob, and he started calling me Buster Jiggs. But Buster Jiggs was taken when I called and since I live in Amarillo, close to Old Tascosa, Tascosa was my second choice. I sort of like it. It has just enough old time cowboy sound to it.

Archived