SASS Wire Forum

Your. Alias. .Your Story..Who...Why?

Jim No Horse

I wanted to grow up to be a cowboy.

Me pappy wanted to grow up to be a cowboy.

Me grand pappy wanted to grow up to be a cowboy.

Me pappy watched "Winchester '73" and was mightily impressed by the character played by Jimmy Stewart.

Lyn McAdam.

It seems that "Linn" was a not uncommon first name given to the firstborn son, when most of Ohio was still property of the Marietta Land Company.

You know how mommies will name a little girl baby after a character in a soap opera?

I was named after a character in a horse opera.

"Linn" is my middle name, it's the name I write under, it's historic and it's a link with one of my personal heroes ... doesn't get any better than this!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It started about the same time that Doc Holliday said to Wyatt Earp "I stand corrected Wyatt...you are an OAK!" in the movie Tombstone.

While walking either on vacation or in the store, I would stop short and the wife would run into, and bounce off me and exclaim "Ya Big Tree"

Plus I am kinda big. Thus ends that story.

I chose the name of John Henry Quick because he joined the Marine Corps on my birthday in 1892 and he was awarded the Medal of Honor in the Spanish-American War when he was a Gunnery Sergeant for his actions at Guantanamo Bay. I was a Gunnery Sergeant and I was at Gitmo for awhile and I mentioned his joining on my birthday, so it just seemed natural to honor him. :)

When I was 7 snooping in grandaddy's barn I found an old branding iron with a Diamond S on it. It was our old family cattle brand, That branding iron now resides in my reloading room. Momma came up with the Doug part a little over 51 years ago.

Dusty Sometimes

Sometimes I'm Dusty (every other weekend!)

And sometimes I'm Kevin...

When I was a kid my dad always called me Hoss. I knew when I was trying to come up with an alias it would be Hoss something. Could not think of a good last name, so as my name is Rooney I just kind of borrowed that. Not real fond of it though, if hungwright is still available I may change........ :)

I liked the sound of "Blacque Jacque Shellac" from the Bugs Bunny cartoon, but, French is one of the few bloodlines I don't have running thru the family tree. Being part Scottish I thought Black Angus sounded good, plus I saw some humor in a cowboy being named after a cow. McPherson just rounded it out nicely.

So, there ya go - Black Angus McPherson

i live on the watab river , there is a "natural crossing" in my back yard that was used by the rail road and others when the area developed , when i was joining up my friends encouraged the use , had toyed with a number of choices , but because i was older [and acted younger] they pushed for the "kid" ,

not sure if its appropriate these days , but im too old to change it now ,

the view off my deck -

mikesphotos-5001_zpsb5f68f28.jpg

My real name is Thomas, but I go by Tom.

I had Doctor Thomas as my first choice, because I thought it'd be fun to wear a nice Victorian era suit on the weekends. Then my brain stopped working and Tennessee Tom and Farmer Tom were also available, per the website.

So I wrote those three in the blocks, without paying attention to which one I wrote first, and got this one.

After all that was over I was trying to find the end of the internet and discovered there was a serial killer in Chicago in the 1800's named Dr Thomas Cream. He was later arrested in London for a murder and was briefly suspected to he responsible for the Jack the Ripper killings.

So maybe it's better that I didn't get Doctor Thomas.

Good thread, Jimbo, some nice stories here.

I had kept an alias list for years while I worked on weekends and couldn't make it to matches. I'm from the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas and have a Scottish heritage, so I wanted something to call up both things. My partially formed idea is that my character came to the border country from Scotland, maybe by way of Ireland. Wears his duds as he sees fit (thus 'the hat'). Got into a fight in a cantina and cut his way out with a big blade, so the caballeros gave him a handle - El Sabre.

Actually, the Sabre part comes from my having flown the F-100 Super Sabre. I'm sitting in one in my avatar photo. The handle ties all this up nicely. To make it sound more border like, it's pronounced "Sah-bray." Unless you're Vaquero Petite in one of his moods, that is. :P

Mine came from this calling card, which I have in a little collection. It belonged to someone my mom thought was a great great aunt.

I made calling cards from it. Also, there is the Allie Mo/Alamo play on words.

17465_1192768228877_3266156_n.jpg

That's funny Mo. There's an old Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys song called "Across the Alley from the Alamo"........

Mine pretty easy to figure out. My favorite fictional character Augustus McCrae was taken. So I took Augustus and combined it with one of my favorite historical heroes, Texas Ranger, Scout, Trail Blazer, Charles Goodnight.

Mine is a little convoluted. As many here, all my clever ideas as well as favorite literary, historic or movie characters were already taken when I finally found SASS.

Scratched my head for a few days then went a different direction:

1. I've raced motorcycles all my life (still do), as well as acted as an offical and CEO of a national motorcycle racing santioning body.

2 One of my favorite actors was Steve McQueen - The Magnificent Seven was one of my all-time favorite movies.

3. Steve McQueen was a passionate and very accomplished motorcycle racer and used to race in the SoCal desert using the alias "Harvey Mushman" to prevent the studio chiefs from finding out (his contracts typically prohibited it).

I remembered the last fact when we finally shut down our local club (who had held a couple races annually) and sold all the assets We donated most of the proceeds and memorabilia to the Motorcycle Heritage Museum in Ohio. Among them were race entry forms signed by "Harvey Mushman" which have been on display there from time to time.

Thus, Harvey Mushman!

It's always fun to find a pard that recognizes the origin!

My other hobby is gardening and canning. I've won the canned salsa contest at the Iowa State Fair twice. Most shoots that I go to I bring chips and salsa for afterward.

When i was a little kid, my favorite book was "COWBOY SMALL" by Lois Lenski. It is a picture book about a cowboy that rides, ropes brands, sleeps under the stars and eats at the chuckwagon during the round up. He rides for the BAR S ranch.

It was written in the 40's and i got it from my grandma.

I read this book to my kids when they were little. Just about wore it out. Am reading it to my granddaughter now. She already has a horse named Hollywood.

My wife found another copy out there on the world wide interweb and i built my gun cart around it. It is covered with plexiglass.

Remember to always be yourself...unless you can be a cowboy...then be a cowboy.

Cowboy Small aka Vaqero Petite

I have a couple of brands starting with J bar, so I started using J Bar. Imagine my surprise when I went to register it and there already was a J Bar! One of the Star Wars movies was out and there was a character called Jar Jar Binks, so my daughter said, "You could be J Bar Binks"... I'm a space cowboy, I guess. :lol:

I'm a cop so I kinda wanted some kind of law name, but I couldn't think of anything, then my wife suggested combining something from when I was in the Air Force. I was an engineer in a AF group called RED HORSE so I became the Red Horse Ranger

I'm a cop so I kinda wanted some kind of law name, but I couldn't think of anything, then my wife suggested combining something from when I was in the Air Force. I was an engineer in a AF group called RED HORSE so I became the Red Horse Ranger

I usually take longer than other folks to do things, for whatever reason. "You shore do take a long time, Trish."

Just sign me,

Long Time Trish (or L.T.)

I'm from Rippon WV so Rippon kid sounded pretty good but we changed it to Rippen Kid because it sounded faster and less French. My wife's the Mountaineer Momma a huge WVU fan

My paternal grandfather's name was Rufus. He was a lumberjack, rode pro rodeo, broke horses, farmed the Great Plains==did just about everything you can imagine.

The maternal surnames were "Brady" and "Kelly". My grandmother was registered as a member of the Cherokee Nation and the Chickasaw Nation on the 1898 Dawes Roll. The "Kellys" are the largest Irish Clan and the "Bradys" are one of the High Clans (We have our own bean sigh). Several Kellys fought under General Stand Watie in the Border Wars and a great-great-great (?) grandfather (Brady) rode with the James Boys under Quantrell and Bloody Bill.

Seemed reasonable at the time............

That's funny Mo. There's an old Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys song called "Across the Alley from the Alamo"........

Mine pretty easy to figure out. My favorite fictional character Augustus McCrae was taken. So I took Augustus and combined it with one of my favorite historical heroes, Texas Ranger, Scout, Trail Blazer, Charles Goodnight.

:)

Well I'm an innocent little angel, (dogooder) hey now stop laughing! That has a bit of a prankster. Side, which some call evil

Too bad Fuller Bullspit was already taken. :P

(My apologies to the original Professor Fuller Bullspit. Sorry Brian. I couldn't resist.)

GUNSMOKE, Season 9, Episode 5: The Widow Maker

I think it is Steven Forrester plays the character Coltrane, also known as 'The Widow Maker'

My daughter wanted me to get 'Cotton Top' because of my white hair but it was taken.

So, Widowmaker Hill was my next choice.

Cherokee Big Dog nicknamed me 'Widder' about 6-7 years ago and its stuck ever since.

..........Widder

I spent 26 yrs as a La. State Trooper. When my daughter was young she would watch me put on my gunbelt with my S&W model 66 & later Sig Sauer 45. Then I would retrieve my mod 870 or AR15 before heading out for my shift. One day my wife told me "Bridget is calling you Charlie Twoguns becuz you take two guns to work with you every day!" I took the alias "Charlie Twoguns" for my SASS alias in honor of my beloved daughter.

I hale from Center,Tx; deep in the piney woods of East Texas (15 miles from the La. border). There is a small country church there called Spann's Chapel. The grave stones of this little church are loaded with quartz, and when a full moon shone on them they seemed to glow. The place became a favorite 'parking' spot for high school boyfriend/girlfriend. They took to calling it "shiney graves". This was about 45 yrs ago. The road this church sits on is also called 'shiney graves road'---it was where my dad taught me to drive a car. A little liberty in the spelling and here I am.

Thanks for the memories :)

S.G.

Read a book about the Lakota Indian Tribe "Hanta Yo" in the glossary was some Lakota-English translations; PISKO means NightHawk, I am a Black American (Night) and people always tell me I have piercing eyes like a (HAWK). I also remember it as a term for the guard watching the cattle herd overnight. My story in summary after the civil war, my Pa, stayed in the army and became part of the Bufflalo Soldiers, I lived and grew up around the forts and played with the kids from the Lakota tribes that had settled near the forts. Thus the indian kids gave me my alias and taught me various skills of their way of life. I have scouted,drifted and finally became an Arizona Ranger. Thats my story and I'm sticking too it..

Well I wasn't gonna reply but since I told this story ten or so times at EOT I thought I might as well. For those of you who saw the movie the Godfather there was a scene toward the end where the old man is talking to Michael and tells him that that he had higher hopes for him than to be in that business ie. "Senator Corleone, Governor Corleone, something" and Michael says, "I'm not a pezza novante Pop". Well that expression is a Sicilian idiom for Big Shot but translates "ninety caliber" . As you can guess I am of Sicilian descent .

GUNSMOKE, Season 9, Episode 5: The Widow Maker

I think it is Steven Forrester plays the character Coltrane, also known as 'The Widow Maker'

My daughter wanted me to get 'Cotton Top' because of my white hair but it was taken.

So, Widowmaker Hill was my next choice.

Cherokee Big Dog nicknamed me 'Widder' about 6-7 years ago and its stuck ever since.

..........Widder

Ya know fer $15 in goverment cheese ya cud make it o fish al.

Ya could have one of dem one word aliass, ie Phantom, Manatee, Lassiter............Widder :P

PS: Rance

PPS: Fireball, Keystone, Goody, Jefro, Creeker, Ugly, Blackwater

My alias is from a line from the Beatles' song "Rocky Raccoon." Unfortunately, I misspelled "Magil" as it is spelled In the lyrics, but did not infringe on copyright laws in spelling it as originally spelled, "McGill."

The more I think on it, the more I believe that "magil" is Paul's lyrical slurring of "my girl" from the song "Michelle", which was such a hit from the "Rubber Soul" album.

Okay, so how cowboy is that? No wonder I shoot B-Western. Check my sasswire signature.

Archived