SASS Wire Forum

Your. Alias. .Your Story..Who...Why?

Jim No Horse

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silver: Pays homage to the area where I grew up. The Silver Valley of Idaho, which consists of the I-90 corridor between Lookout Pass and The 4th of July Pass (That's my story). Other unscrupulous miscreants (namely family and friends) would say it has more to do with the "alleged" deterioration in the color of my hair.

Shadow: Refers to the black color theme of my costuming. A theme that honors such serious screen characters as: Bad Bob (Life and times of Judge Roy Bean), Mr. Kittrick (Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County), Jesse W. Haywood (The Shakiest Gun in the West), John Slade (Wagons East), and Cactus Jack (the Villain).

That's the rumor anyhow.

Only The (Silver) Shadow knows for sure. :ph34r:

SS

All the good names were gone. Liked Skynard's Free Bird so that's me.

Mine came from the great grandfather of a niece of my wifes. (that was a mouth full)

From what they tell us he was a rancher in North Louisiana and had the best name of anyone I know.

So mine is from a real cowboy :)

Stone Devers.

About 10yrs ago I was on a cattle drive trip out in Wyoming and had a stop in South Pass City. This is where I met my first SASS members. They spent some time with me talking about the town and about SASS, when we left I thought to myself that sounds pretty interesting I should give it a try. Well it took 10yrs to "pull the trigger" and give it a try but now the whole family is in on it and we love it. So South Pass Kid seems fitting since it's was my first run in with SASS members.

Sitting around the firehouse at work trying to explain this all to a bunch of crazy firemen one guy speaks up and says "you should have done One Slug Doug" where the hell was he when I was trying to figure out a name .... Just kidding I think I'll stick with my original choice.

Started out as Black Mike which was my fathers nickname. Got really hot wearing black in summer and also wanted to emulate my cowboy shooting mentor who had a single name "Cayuse".

So I changed to a single name "Just" Mike and now wear whatever color I want.

Killed two birds with one shot.

After my first match I was really hooked but I realized the game required several guns that I didn't already have. I bit the bullet, did the deed and soon realized there were even more expenses to be absorbed further down the line. Well, what the heck, I thought, go enjoy yourself for a change! After all, it's just money. Viola! Jess Money.

I have been called Cooter by all my old 4-wheelin buddies since the Dukes of Hazard show came out back in the late 70's. I drove a pickup truck and always wore a beatup ball cap when off-roading, so the similarity to the Dukes' tow-truck-driver friend stuck. The name Cooter was already taken so I added the small town I grew up in along the Lincoln Highway in Ohio called Robertsvile, or Bobtown for short. Everyone I regularly shoot with just call me Cooter.

Well I'm an innocent little angel, (dogooder) hey now stop laughing! That has a bit of a prankster. Side, which some call evil

Hi Again,

Maybe my Hubby's alias, Jess Brown, will interest you. It belonged to his great, great... grandfather. Jesse Brown was a shotgun messenger out of Deadwood in the 1870s. He wrote a book, called Black Hills Trails, about his adventures. We even found an inscribed original copy of the book. It has some great photos too.

You can read or download (even to Kindle) it from the following site. https://archive.org/details/blackhillstrails00brow

Regards,

Allie Mo

I'm Irish. Eamon is Irish for Edmond and is pronounced AIM - IN, spoken real fast...sort of. The Chute part should be self evident.

EC

Was born in Hawaii and spent a lot of time on Makena beach and in Kihei Maui so I came up with Kihei Makena.

But nobody could pronounce or spell Kihei so Key Hay Makena it became!

Rance was my Dads name that my grandpa picked out of an ol' western comic book..

My Grandpa was born in the late 1800's..

My Dad didn't like the name and went by Bill?? :wacko:

When I joined SASS ( I think in 2003) Rance was already taken..

So I signed up as "Cowboy Rance"..

I've checked on Rance over the years..

It just became available in March of this year..

I grabbed it.. I'm now "Rance" :)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I like it.. don't know why Dad didn't :blush:

The earliest known ancestor of the famous Earp brothers of Dodge City and Tombstone was William Earp who was born in Baltimore, MD in 1729. He and his sons sometimes signed their name in what looked like Harp instead of Earp.

Because the alias Wyatt Earp was already taken when I joined SASS in 1998, I choose Wylie Harp knowing about the early spelling discrepancies.

What was interesting was that a few years later I discovered that America’s first frontier serial killers were the Harpe Brothers, Micajah Harpe and Wiley Harpe or “Big and Little Harpe. :(

They were not related to the Earps but in a 1961 episode of TV’s Gunsmoke, there was a story called Harpe’s Blood, which referred to the murderous Wiley Harpe.

~:Wylie:~

Gold Canyon Kid. Live in Gold Canyon Az 7 months of the year. Two abandoned gold mines within a block of my home. Jacob Waltz's Lost Dutchman's mine in Superstition Mountains a short distance from behind our home. Folks tracked the Dutchman through Gold Canyon area on way to his mine but he lost trackers every time.

These are some great stories...behind the alias we all carry...sure would like an encore from our hot local shooter....Phantom. ..I won't let on you are a really good guy to anyone...come on Uncle Phantom. ..tell us your story...Lazy Horse

These are some great stories...behind the alias we all carry...sure would like an encore from our hot local shooter....Phantom. ..I won't let on you are a really good guy to anyone...come on Uncle Phantom. ..tell us your story...Lazy Horse

I bet I know. ;) His favorite opera is Phantom of the Opera. :o:lol:

My last name is White and I was looking for an name opposite of it. My mothers maiden name was Cole. Her father my grandfather worked the pipe line construction overseas during the 40s-60s and picked up the nickname Blacky well my mother nicknamed me Mickey so I took my grandfathers name Blacky cole and spelled blackey cole. So that's how I came up with my sass name.

Irish Tom. I just thought it had a nice ring to it.

I'm Irish. Eamon is Irish for Edmond and is pronounced AIM - IN, spoken real fast...sort of. The Chute part should be self evident.

EC

Interesting...I've always thought the first name was pronounced with a Rastafarian accent.....Ey mon..(hey man).

The story behind my alias is pretty simple. I'm of Cajun descent and folks have always thought I was a mite on the crazy side. So I chose Couyon Acadien but most folks don't speak Cajun French so I went with its English equivalent with a little play on the letters....Krazy Kajun.

great great grandfather was Joshua bean, a brother of judge roy bean and my grand father called me bo and that's my story that I'm sticking to. Joshua bean was the first mayor of san diego

Well...My stage name is Pygar Jones and my drummer calls me "Doctor Jones". So, at first I was hoping for Doc Jones, but it was taken. Then I read an article about a musician in the late 1870s who defended himself against an enraged husband wielding an axe. He shot him dead in defense from the stage where he was performing. I thought what an interesting concept/persona. I am a musician/songwriter and "Poet Jones" just felt right...and it was not taken...so.. ^_^ good for me.

Bad Jeemes Kelly was my great, great, great (2 or 3 greats?) grandfather, on my mother's side.

When I was trying to think of an alias, everything interesting from the movies and Louis L'Amour books was taken, so I decided to look at my ancestors, because the Combs side of my family had some pretty colorful names. Long before metallic cartridges and repeating rifles, we had "Carnegie BIll" Combs, "Long Jerry" Combs, "Ram Jerry" Combs, and "Danger Nick" Combs ("danger" was not his middle name), also known as "Nick the Tory." In later years there were some sheriff's and outlaws and Combs's involved in feuds (Hatfield vs. McCoy was nowhere near the biggest). But none of the names were that interesting.

Then I remembered the stories my grandmother used to tell, whenever gunfighting and shooting people would come up, about Bad Jeemes Kelly. In my family, gunfighting and shooting people comes up more often than you'd expect - I sometimes still carry the .38 my grandmother used to carry in her purse, back when it was illegal to do so. I also have a book, called Recollections of a Mountain Boy Plus Stories of Sudden Death, by Red Fleming, that has some stories about some of his gunfights, although it calls him "James" Kelly and my grandmother said "Jeemes" (I can identify him because the book traces him back from my grandparents).

He probably did the most gunfighting of any family member I know of. He killed several people, whether face to face or from ambush. He once killed a sheriff from Knott County, named Combs, who was almost certainly a relative on my father's side. The story is, the sheriff came to arrest him on a warrant, but rather than say that, he had a drink of moonshine with him and then pretended to leave and as he closed the door, turned and fired a shot. He missed and hit the floor by Jeemes' wife's foot. She screamed and he thought she had been hit, so he opened the door and shot the sheriff through the throat, shot one of his deputies and beat the other one until he thought he was dead (body was gone the next day). There is another story about him escaping from the Pike County jail and swimming the river in a hail of bullets. At any rate, law enforcement was not successful in dealing with him. He was finally killed when, in his 40's or so, he was visiting a 14-year-old girl who lived nearby and playing banjo for her, when her brother, who had taken offense, sneaked around outside the house and fired through a window with a shotgun and killed him.

So, anyhow, that's who Bad Jeemes Kelly was. I think it's appropriate that I also use a shotgun that, before I started using it in cowboy matches, was last fired to commit a murder in Pike County, KY, where Jeemes was from (and where I am from), back in 1964.

Well when I was a kid, we were the last family to get a TV in the neighborhood, and when the man came and put in the TV would a 12 x 12 screen and a six-inch magnifying glass to make it bigger, the very first movie. Howdy Doody. Mr. Gray the cat, and a cowboy movie, and the cowboy movie went something like this. The star of the movie. On his white horse and 20 gallon hat. Road into ranch. And everybody came out to say hello. And the foreman called over one of the work hands called mileaway. Told him to take his horse. And get some fee and water for it. When he walked away. The hero of the movie said, that's the funny names, that that cowboy has. And the foreman said. Yep, every time there's work to be done around the ranch is always a mileaway . That name stuck with me. I wish I knew that movie I would like to get that tape. Well that's my story

The aliase I wanted was taken (Handsome Stranger) so I got to thinking on it and since I lived in NY which was in the east I would try to make something out of that.I wanted to be military so I figured being a Major was a good place to be and came up with Major E.A. Sterner (Major Easterner).Now Major E.A. Sterner was a "Ring Knocker from West Point who made a lot of friends from down south.So when the War of northern aggression started he resigned his commision and headed west to make his fortune.He has worked as a Cow Puncher ,Ranger, Gambler Lawman and is known far and wide as a Ladies man(Hey it's Fiction) He was also rumored to have been in the employ of General Lee reporting on yankee army movments that might hurt the Southron cause.

I saw cowboy action shooting on TV. I looked it up and found there was a club, Panhandle Cattle Company, Port St Joe, FL, near me. From what I read on the site, I had what I needed with out having to buy anything but a holster. When their match day came around, I went. One of the first folks I met was Tac Hammer and her husband, Jack Hammer. I had with me 2 C&B revolvers, a Henry, and a single shot shotgun. Jack Hammer set me up with leathers and Tac Hammer handed me a sign up sheet.

Let's see, name and address I understood. The rest of the form, well I was simple...

Clueless.

Bob is for real, but at times I come by my whole alias honestly. LOL.

Started out about 40 years ago as a teenager when I used to just come out with weird words for no apparent reason! One day out of the blue I called my then girlfriend (now wife) "Horg" ( I know it sounds bad, if you don't hear the G). After that we called each other Horg as a pet name I guess. Over the the years all our friends refer to us as Horgs. It's even our vanity plate on the motorcycle & Horgens Way as the sign on our driveway. Sooo Eyesa Horg and she's a Horg. When I decided to use it as an alias the idea was to be called 'Horg", however that didn't work out as every Cowboy I meet calls me "Eyesa" Oh well.

Mine was given to me by my uncle, Hair trigger Hayes. I showed up to my first real shoot, and entered up. Hair trigger was running the sign in and asked what my alias was going to be. Well I'm sure I looked like a minor getting carded trying to buy beer. I said,"I don't know let me think about it." So the posse assignments got called out and there was born Longhandle Slim. I looked at him like a cow lookin at a new gate, and he said, "I remember seeing a picture of you in college, wearing red longhandles, boots and a hat double fisted." So I just stuck with it.

Archived