SASS Wire Forum

Your. Alias. .Your Story..Who...Why?

Jim No Horse

Just wondering how you picked you alias...Got a story for us...??? Thanks Jim

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Sage..... Well I originally wanted Bitterroot Bob to honor my Grandfather, who was born and raised in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana and name Robert. But at that time it was taken, so the search began.

I live in SW Colorado in what was called "the Great Sage Plain" by cattlemen and settlers. I am also a pretty big guy, so there you have it. Also a play on words as someone who is very old and wise is referred to as being a Sage. I am old, but wise, well I'll leave that up to someone else to make that judgment. LOL

A couple of years after I picked my alias, I found that my original choice was available, but I just didn't want to change this late in the game.

When drinking bourbon or Tennessee whiskey, I order it with branch water on the rocks.

When ordering a drink, branch water is just plain old water as opposed to a drink made with carbonated or soda water.

In olden days, water from a running stream was some times referred to as branchwater.

Just ask the folks at Jack Daniel's how important branch water is to their final product.

My maternal grandfather's name was Jack.

Ol' Bull Skinner was a haulin' goods with his wagons along the Shelbyville to Vandalia pike. Heard about the big money in buffler hides and sold out and went to Kansas Territory to make his fortune. Around 75' the buff was gettin' scarce. Tried a year bone pickin', but quit cause it was too dirty and rough a work. Became a gentleman of oppurtunity, twern't too particular of what side of the law, worked both sides of it don't ya know. Died around the time of the "Big War" in a sportin' house in Kansas City at the age of 92. ;):lol:

Howdy Jim,

My original alias was Ruff Justice, I took what someone meant as an insult and used it as my alias.I was at a community college in California in the early 1990's taking a Administrative of Justice class, sort of an over view of the criminal justice system. Well we were discussing capital punishment and the scared straight programs. I said they should make the most at risk/violent youth sit through an excution and this one guy said was "Rough Justice." Sort of drawing out the last part., So I changed the spelling and went with it. Lost that alias when I went through my divorce and let my membership slip.

I grew up in western Michigan. And, well, I'm may be a mite slim.................. My daughter Kaya took hers from an American Girl doll she has. If Indian dress wernt so dang expensive she would really look the part.

Interesting thread.

Mine should be pretty easy to figure out. I play guitar.

These days, to paraphrase an old country song, iced tea and cornbread took the place of pills and 90 proof.

won't find me in the bars but playing most Sunday mornings at church.

Guitar Slinger

My real name is Steven Stevens. My track coach in college always said I had two first names. Right about that time the movie Deuce Bigalo Male Gigalo came out. A girl on the team stared calling me Deuce she said it was fitting cause of the double name thing. Just stuck I guess.

Being a contrary kind of person living up here in Yankee land I just had to be a confederate. From artillery to explain why I can't hear. The alias is a play on jonnny reb and my street name. But I do live in SOUTHERN Maine.

I have a hard time remembering names.................just ask my wife......Aaahhhh.........Oh yeah, Jan

Thought for days on an Alias I could remember

Decided to use the name on my Birth Certificate, Social Security Card and Drivers Licenses..........Aaaaahhhhhh...........

..........anybody seen my wallet?

Found it!!!!

I had a serious injury that left me with a bad hand, and while I was in the hospital, a friend told me , "looks like you got delt a bad hand". Seemed appropriate.

<--- Kimchee Kid. My mother is Korean. The looks on the MD's faces when they first read my alias is priceless.

Farrier for many years. Could not pick a name when I started.

Then was at a barn. Got started working. Owner came out and said

Al. When I heard that anvil ringing. I knew you was here.

Then I thought that was a good name for me. Anvil Al.

Started off the first few months of SASS as Rockhill Wrangler.

As that is what we call out place. Rockhill Ranch. (not really much of a ranch)

I grew up in western Michigan. And, well, I'm may be a mite slim..................

Yep, that's my reasoning exactly. I'm originally from the city of Brotherly Love and I'm terribly skinny. Almost to the point of being emaciated. :)

Back in the day I attempted to 2 other alias's that were taken...lots of thought and consternation. Then it hit me, I use to be a, police officer, consumer of tequila, husband to someone before the upgrade, a severe adrenaline junkie (downgraded to moderate due to , possible age?), see the trend and finally a kid. It just fit.....Yoos-ta-be-Kid

My first alias was Hoss Hungright and my wife hated it so within a few months I got tired of listening to her and went on the wire and started entering aliases to see what was available. Surprisingly there are a large number of pretty clever aliases still available. I entered Yul Lose and it was available so I sent in the $15. and got renamed. She likes being called Mrs Lose a lot better than Mrs Hungright.

Trenmore Coffin was an attorney in old Carson City, whose history caught my attention for a few years. I thought, "That would be a great basis for a Cowboy name". One day on a walk, it just came to me.

Fillmore Coffins

I didn't have an alias when I first started. Someone made a joke about the new guy having a Gawd awful stage. I liked it, and it stuck

John Ray Davis was my father-in-law. He worked as a Cowboy in California back in the '20s. I figured using that name would make it easier on the Mrs. as I started spending money on stuff.

Whie he was in California, he asked his dad in New Jersey about getting into this new talking pictures business. His father advised against it.

At least, I have his 1889 Marlin.

I don't know if it's a good story but there was at least a little thought that went into it.

Since my name is Bill I wanted something with a Bill, William or Willy in it so I would know who they were talking to. I decided on Willy and then just started Googling for something that began with a "W". One of the first hits I got was the Wagon Box Fight of 1867, Red Cloud's War, in Wyoming.

The fight intrigued me and the alias Wagon Box Willy was born. I started out shooting a '66, Remington 1875's and a mule ear double but now I'm shooting 1858 conversions, a Henry and an 1887.

I couldn't come up with a cool or witty alias like many of you. I kept looking online for cowboy names or names I thought would suit me. What finally won out is my odd passion for old time radio shows. My favorite show is "Yours truly, Johnny Dollar" Although the main character had nothing to with westerns or cowboy... he was an insurance investigator. I have a DVD with just about every show they made of that show... over 700, and yes, I've listened to them all a few times. :blush:

So one day while commuting home from work in my car, I had Johnny Dollar playing and thinking of an alias when it all came together.

So here I am....

yours truly, Johnny Dollar :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yours_Truly,_Johnny_Dollar

I went for Sparky because I've been a ham radio operator for <mumble> years, and I figure I probably coulda been a telegraph operator before radio was invented. (A lot of shipboard telegraphers were called Sparks or Sparky.) I've also been known to kindle a fire or two in, um, awkward places.

Nelson is from my hometown, which was founded by Daniel Nelson in Ohio in the 1840s. I've seen his tombstone in the town cemetery, and I'm pretty sure he still votes in every election.

I started shooting with my local club in 01. For the 1st couple of shoots they just had me listed as Charlie. Then I was told I had to come up with an alias if I was going to keep on cowboy shooting. I've had a full beard since I got out of the Army decades ago.So I'm standing there scratching my bearded chin trying to think of something to use. Whiskers...I have chin whiskers....why not go with that. And that's how I ended up with that.

The original J-Bar was my paternal grandfather, born in 1859 in Texas, and a rancher near Clayton, New Mexico at the time my father was born. He used the J on his cattle, even though there was no J in his name, reason unknown. Maybe he found the branding iron. In any case he was known as "J-Bar" Bryan throughout the territory. He was elected as a representative to the New Mexico legislature in 1917, and his photo still hangs in the New Mexico state capitol building in Sante Fe.

I never knew him; he died 9 years before I was born. He was reportedly a very tough and independent old pioneer.

Hurricane Deck was slang for the saddle on an unbroke horse. If you were saddle breakin' a horse or riding a bucking bronc, you were 'taking a ride on the hurricane deck' I like how it rolls off the tongue and "Deck" always seemed to be a good cowboy name. Plus: the wife says I can be a handfull when I get worked up about something. I had a number of other good names picked out, but this one I really liked.

The wife is 'Cherokee Miss' because she has Cherokee ancestry and is on the Cherokee roles.

My daughter is 'Purdy Tall' because at the age of 13, she's already taller than me. She's my step-daughter in technicality, I'm the only dad she's ever known. Mom is 5"11 and she's already 5"8 - I'm a measly 5"6

Like a lot of people, I spent a lot of time looking for names with the google-machine. While it's great for retrieving information, it's not very imaginative and everything was coming up boring. Until I searched for Cowboy Slang and Cowboy terms, terms of the old west, old west talk, old wes jargon and the lilke. I then had an abundance of great ideas.

Eatin' Gravel was another I like, thats what you do when you fall off yer horse.

Yep, that's my reasoning exactly. I'm originally from the city of Brotherly Love and I'm terribly skinny. Almost to the point of being emaciated. :)

I've heard you're getting so skinny you have to run around in a shower just to get wet. YEAH RIGHT :lol:

Archived