SASS Wire Forum

California: Call Gov. Brown URGE GOVERNOR BROWN TO VETO AB 1964

Subdeacon Joe

ALERT: URGE GOVERNOR BROWN TO VETO AB 1964

The clear intent of this measure is to further narrow California’s already onerous and overly burdensome “not unsafe” handgun Roster and eliminate more firearms from the non-peace officer marketplace. While AB 1964’s passage would certainly reinforce the arguments against the Roster in ongoing federal civil rights litigation (see, e.g., Peña v. Lindley, U.S. Dist., E.D. Cal. Case no. 09-cv-01185-KJM-CKD), we must remain opposed to AB 1964 on its merits.

In 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that firearms in common use for lawful purposes are protected under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. (See, District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008).) AB 1964 is an intellectually-challenged bill through which the author seeks to ban even greater numbers of safe, time-tested, and Constitutionally protected firearms—infringing the rights of 38 million California residents along the way.

And if the Constitutional problems in AB 1964 were not enough to make the bill worthy of rejection, the plain absurdity of the bill could not be more obvious: the measure creates a “single-shot loophole” for handguns ‘born as’ a single-shot in a factory, but bans handguns that were ‘born as’ some other configuration but later professionally re-manufactured by a licensed gunsmith into a “single-shot” handgun that is the functional equivalent of what would be an exempted handgun.

There is no evidentiary need for the passage of AB 1964. The author has not shown the measure to offer any provable, substantiated improvement to public safety. California’s Penal Code, as it relates to firearms, is already overflowing with laws that are not enforced or unenforceable. The bill is a solution is search of a problem and may be what bursts the proverbial Penal Code levee.

you know the lawsuit I want to see Joe, I want to see the one that stops the exemption for law enforcement to have weapons us mere citizens subjects can't have

Yep, one of my pet gripes too. Especially the 'safe gun' list. Why are police allowed to carry firearms that the State of California says are unsafe to use?

Joe I had a customer when I was shoeing horse full time that is SRPD. I knew her long before she became a LEO, fact is she didn't even like guns until she became a LEO. so couple years after she had been a LEO she tells me that she finally has her own personal M16 I go you mean AR she said no an M16 that it is full auto. I said really!, what did she have to do to get it issued to her, then then said no it is not issued she bought it with her money she owned it but had to turn it into the dept when she quit or retired. there is a lot more to this story but that is the main point

Joe I had a customer when I was shoeing horse full time that is SRPD. I knew her long before she became a LEO, fact is she didn't even like guns until she became a LEO. so couple years after she had been a LEO she tells me that she finally has her own personal M16 I go you mean AR she said no an M16 that it is full auto. I said really!, what did she have to do to get it issued to her, then then said no it is not issued she bought it with her money she owned it but had to turn it into the dept when she quit or retired. there is a lot more to this story but that is the main point

Up to about 10 years ago it was the other way around, a department could "gift" a rifle like that to a retiring officer. Now the officer can only have it while they are active then have to give it to the department. That's wrong too.

That is why in my opinion the subjects citizen of California needs to file lawsuits and challenge every single gun law in California

Like the 10 day wait for a gun, if I already own guns what is the purpose of having to wait 10 more additional days for another gun.

Archived