SASS Wire Forum

Maybe I don't need to overthink my AR lube inquiry

He talks about running his AR "wet". You can't do that in some hostile areas. I like to use brake cleaner and then follow up with CLP. Of course everyone has different opinions and experiences. I have even taken my M4/M16 into the shower with me in the past and used dish soap.

He talks about running his AR "wet". You can't do that in some hostile areas. I like to use brake cleaner and then follow up with CLP. Of course everyone has different opinions and experiences. I have even taken my M4/M16 into the shower with me in the past and used dish soap.

I like that too wish you hadn't said the part about the shower, it leaves a disturbing picture in my mind and I don't have enough brain bleach to removeit

I like that too wish you hadn't said the part about the shower, it leaves a disturbing picture in my mind and I don't have enough brain bleach to removeit

He just gave it a bath. It's not like he bought it a drink. ;)

Army -10 Operators Manual M16 Lubrication Manual courtesy of AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=548967

Best one I've seen.

He just gave it a bath. It's not like he bought it a drink. ;)

Damn Bob you just put a worse image in my mind, Big Sarge an M4/M16 and a bottle of bourbon

Bourbon is for Garands. AR's like wine coolers.

No, ARs like tequila.

Whether you use ballistol, regular gun oil or grease you have to run it slightly wet, otherwise it'll hang up on you. It doesn't like it dry!

That's for sure. Bought a new scope for my shorty last year, went to sight in and my normally reliable rifle was a jam-a-matic. Funny what a little oil can do. I like the old LSA if you can find it. If not, Break Free works good too.

JHC

Army -10 Operators Manual M16 Lubrication Manual courtesy of AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=548967

Best one I've seen.

Thanks man! :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy,

On one website a manufacturer recommended for emergency that transmission oil

makes a decent cleaner and synthetic like Mobil 1 makes decent lube.

In some countries name brand gun products are expensive and taxed.

Best

CR

ps no Ive never tried it.

He77, Garands will take old stump blower or even white lightning. :D

I confess that I know next to nothing about thr M 16/AR 15 rifles. But from what I have read

they seem to have an issue with dirt? Did I miss an email?

I confess that I know next to nothing about thr M 16/AR 15 rifles. But from what I have read

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Early versions that were first sent to Vietnam were known to have issues when not kept clean. Of course, they were a brand new weapon dropped into the worst possible environment. What's to be expected?

A lot has been improved on in the last 40 years. I've put probably a million-plus rounds through various rifles built on the M-16 platform. It is as solid as they come as far as reliability goes. There are still folks who will grump about various aspects of its performance. But then, I've been known to fail a Garand and a 1911 when we let one get too yucked up.

There are still folks who will grump about various aspects of its performance. But then, I've been known to fail a Garand and a 1911 when we let one get too yucked up.

I got drawn into an argument on another forum with a guy who hated the AR, which is fine, but all his stated reasons either were false, had been corrected years ago, or were largely true of all magazine-fed self-loading firearms. I didn't realize until well into the exchange that he saw it as an argument- I was just trying to help the guy out with some misinformation. He ended the discussion by saying I wasn't a real vet because I didn't serve in Vietnam (I was 4 for crying out loud) and he had survived "no thanks to guys like you". Okay then.

Apparently his disdain for what he invariably called "that plastic POS" came not from his own experience, as he was never issued one and never carried one, but what he

had read/heard/been told over thirty years before.

Some of his issues:

Plastic POS- most of the gun is aircraft aluminum and high-grade steel. The only "plastic" parts are the buttstock and handgrips, and maybe a couple minor parts like the trigger guard.

It was designed for target match shooting- it was conceived and designed from the start as a general-issue military rifle, at the army's request, by the way.

A trained, skilled marksman with a Garand or M14 will beat a novice with an AR every time- well, isn't that largely true of almost any two guns?

It sucks because it chambers an ineffective round- not an uncommon or unfounded criticsm, but that is an issue with the cartridge, not the rifle itself. And by the way, it was originally designed, as the AR-10, to fire the 7.62 NATO, then redesigned to be smaller and lighter and fire a smaller round AT THE ARMY'S REQUEST.

There were several other points, but you get the idea.

While I am not a fan of the M16/AR15 platform, I have no problem with the rifle. As I stated, I know next to nothing about them.

From Gunner's film clip,now I know how they go together, or at least a fair idea.

I will say one thing in their defense. The pump a lot of lead in a very short period of time.

Early versions that were first sent to Vietnam were known to have issues when not kept clean. Of course, they were a brand new weapon dropped into the worst possible environment. What's to be expected?

A lot has been improved on in the last 40 years. I've put probably a million-plus rounds through various rifles built on the M-16 platform. It is as solid as they come as far as reliability goes. There are still folks who will grump about various aspects of its performance. But then, I've been known to fail a Garand and a 1911 when we let one get too yucked up.

The first M16s issued had feeding/extraction problems. And that was largely due to the extremely dirty powder that the Army decided to use in the 5.56 rd and the fact that the chambers were not chromed. Both those deficiencies were corrected years ago. Any gun may have problems with dirt. Just depends on whjat kind and how much.

Yeah I know, the miraculous AK can be dragged through a mud bog behind a tank and still function flawlessly. :rolleyes:;)

The first M16s issued had feeding/extraction problems. And that was largely due to the extremely dirty powder that the Army decided to use in the 5.56 rd and the fact that the chambers were not chromed.

And the fact that soldiers were told, or at least led to believe, that they didn't need to clean their rifles, which was more important then precisely because of the other factors you mentioned.

The first M16s issued had feeding/extraction problems. And that was largely due to the extremely dirty powder that the Army decided to use in the 5.56 rd and the fact that the chambers were not chromed. Both those deficiencies were corrected years ago. Any gun may have problems with dirt. Just depends on whjat kind and how much.

Yeah I know, the miraculous AK can be dragged through a mud bog behind a tank and still function flawlessly. :rolleyes:;)

Well, from the "news" reports, they (AK 47) fire into the air rather well. Clean or no.

Kinda like " I SHOT A BULLET INTO THE AIR, IT LANDED, I KNOW NOT WHERE.

Wonder how many goats and camels are killed each year, by falling 7.62×39mm bullets

Well, from the "news" reports, they (AK 47) fire into the air rather well. Clean or no.

Kinda like " I SHOT A BULLET INTO THE AIR, IT LANDED, I KNOW NOT WHERE.

Wonder how many goats and camels are killed each year, by falling 7.62×39mm bullets

Now that is funny right there!

No, ARs like tequila.

Mine like 'Murican beers.

That's why I won't let them drink.

Mine likes peyote, because right now it's a figment of my imagination.

ain't a damn one of you helping the picture in my mind now stop, more brain bleach please

Howdy,

Best

CR

ATF is an excellent gun lubricant. According to an old machinist I know it is the 3rd best firearm oil of all time. The top two are made by Lubriplate and are used on the machines that process our food. Their superority is due to the fact that they are extreemly resistant to degradation by water and have almost no odor.

The big drawback to ATF is that it does have a distinct odor which can be an issue with CC and hunting weapons.

BTW ATF is one of the 4 main ingrediants of Ed's Red. Use Ed's Red to clean and preserve all my weapons. Significantly less expensive than Hoppes

Doesn't Ballistol contain water? Isn't that baaaaaaad?

Water isn't bad at all. It is an effective cleaner and a better lubricant than you might imagine. Ballistol doesn't contain water, but it does emulsify with water. Leaving water in a gun is bad, but getting a gun wet is really no problem.

Howdy,

Best

CR

Actually, I use Marvel's mystry oil, for the most part I believe that its ATF, I get it at the 99 cent store

cheap sometimes works

Coffee

Doesn't Ballistol contain water? Isn't that baaaaaaad?

Water is not always bad. When I was in the Navy the first thing you do when doing emergency cleaning of contaminated AC electronics is a through rinse with fresh water followed by a through drying.

Where water becomes a problem is when it acts as a conductor of electricity. Rust is a chemical reaction similar to what happens in a battery. PURE water will not allow metal to corrode (rust). HOWEVER because water is a really good solvent it soon becomes contaminated with imputities which makes it a conductor or to be more precise it acts as an electrolyte.

If you ever want a real mess on your hands try to clean a black powder weapon with pure petroleum products. Same for the bullet lube it cannot be petroleum based or it will just cause the fowling to become hard and really ruin your shooting day.

I do not beleive Ballistol contains any water it does however contain mineral oils and alcohols that allow it to easily emulisify with water. Petroleum products for the most part are very hard to get to emulisify in water.

An interesting note Ballistol in its non-emulsified form can be used on and around electronics and electrical componets as long as there is no chance that it will be exposed to water or high humidity.

BTW There are many different kinds of oils some play well with water and some do not.

Here is a link to the MSDS read the last part of the third and all of page4 and the first part of page 5. Tells why Ballistol is so popular with us gun nuts.

http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF

Archived