SASS Wire Forum

This one, was the best one yet!

Just got in from EOT. I've not been able to shoot much the past coupla years, but I've not missed an EOT since the last one in California and this EOT was so good I felt I had to share with those that didn't make it.

Not only the best main match stages but even the WARM-UP stages were a blast. Without being "identical" to the main match every warm-up stage had you shoot the kind of shot or flavor of the main match including transistions and starting position. Lots and lots of fun. Especially getting to shoot warm-up with Bobcat Tyler a 21 year old Gunfighter phenom. He truly has taken the art of Gunfighter to a new level. An enjoyable experience!

Main match stages were designed for both ends of the shooting spectrum. For those chasing the White Buffalo simply required maintaining presence of mind and aiming/squeezing every shot. Knockdown rifle and pistols afforded make-ups. For those feeling the "need for speed", the stages flowed with rhythm and left multiple choices for the shooter to maximize his whims and fun! All props worked superbly and targets were generous while requiring concentration. It don't git no better!

The 4-H'ers were a Godsend. They brassed, carried, fetched, and painted. Gladly donated to their cause.

Vendors were good. Quality was high. Purchased everything from Habenero BBQ sauce to pictures, knick-knacks, necklaces, and even a purse. Early Christmas shopping. I can't speak to much to the food cause Two Sons kept me in peanut butter sandwiches, but I can attest to the ice cream, sno cones, sodas, and lemonade, all value priced. Oh yeah, the big curly fries that Sam Balin shared were tasty! …and the corn dog on Saturday.

Entertainment? Super! I always like hearin' Frederick Jackson Turner. A real singin' Cowboy! The Best! I collect his CD's and can't wait for the new one. From Oglesby's trick shootin' to even listening to the various bands on stage. It was kinda cool listenin' to tunes like "Rocky Top" while shooting stages 9-12. There's just somethin' neat about hangin' around a cowboy town watchin' the stage coach carry people to and fro.

Registration was fast. Shooters book necesary and simple to use. Prize pickup efficient. SASS help was always close by. The Judge, US Grant, Tex, and Hip Shot were available and I couldn't help smiling watching and listening to a couple of first timers in awe of talking to badges #4 and #7. They just couldn't believe that Evil Roy was sitting right behind them! After they talked to Tex and Hip Shot they turned to me and asked if I was badge number 2! I responded that while some people referred to me as Number 2, I was not the General.

I wasn't able to arrive early enough to shoot Wild Bunch, but I over heard many discussing how good it was. I watched some of the extra Wild Bunch side matches including long range military rifle. This really enhances the Wild Bunch experience.

The Wild Bunch and Action top gun shoot off was the most entertaining I've seen. The shooters and targets were easy to see and the competition was fierce. I got to watch it with a good pard Possum Skinner and really enjoyed his company, thoughts, and insight. I see a visit to Louisiana in my future.

The saturday night party was not to be out done. All I gotta say is DOOLEY GANG! …and a little lemonade. T-Bone is the best impromptu man with a microphone and together with Ringo and Nuttin' the show is superb. The play by play of the the shoot off keeps the spectator engaged and informed. Makes the spectator feel like he's a part of the action. And the awards, phenomenal! So good, I stood for the whole time just to watch.

Leadership. Misty Moonshine sets the example when it comes to …doing. She was everywhere, every day, all the time. Taking care of everyone with a smile and a good word. I did something I've never done. First day main match I forgot my shooter's card. Not the first time for that, I just always do without. But this time, I felt so comfortable witht he administration that I just walked in and asked for a new one. Just happened Misty was there and took good care of it. Knowing those are tickets for door prizes I didn't really expect that. I returned my unused one the next day so she could see her faith was justified. SASS is lucky to have found her. She is the special ingredient that makes it all work.

Waddies, they were the most helpful. Like referees in a ball game. You don't notice they are there until you need something and then they've either already taken care of it or are in the process there of. The second time I did something I've never done before. Having not realized the time for my posse shoot, I didn't have ammo when the time came. I walked into the waddie shack and said "I've got an outlandish request". My posse is lining up for the team shoot and I forgot my ammo, could and would someone take me to the parking lot to retrieve some. With a nod of the head, I think it was Annie(?) that jumped up and had me there and back before my posse missed me! I thank them and everyone should know they enhance the EOT experience like no other shoot.

Lastly, match director T. A. Chance has turned this match into a shooters' shoot. However, those that have experienced Border Town are not surprised. "THANKS" T. A.! Words just don't express how deeply this man feels in his responsibiliy and desire to make the EOT shooting experience the best for every shooter present. Additionally, I was elated to hear that Lassiter will be Co-Match Director next year! His level of talent and desire in making a match is unbelievably unmatched. Paired with T. A. will make EOT 2015 an event not to miss!

I would be remiss If I didn't thank Persimmon Dan for inviting me to stay in the house they'd rented. I probably wouldn't have attended and would have missed the best EOT ever without his help. I likewise am gratefull to my other house mates ('Ole Short Tom, Two Sons, Spud, Crooked Cody, and El Paso Susie) for making a memorable week. We ate out, we grilled and partied, we ordered pizza in and most importantly we laughed a lot. After a week, ya kinda git to thinkin' of these folks as family!

Posse #22. We mighta been the oldest posse. We were the shortest with only 15 folks. Barely, 2 or three people knew each other. By Saturday, everyone was hangin' out exchanging stories being good friends. I know better than to mention names, but I want everyone of them to know they made this one of the funnest shooting weeks I've had in 17 years of cowboy! ON the first day when one of the spotters showed me a speck of blood from some pistol splash, I rubbed our hands together and said "Now, we're blood brothers"! How do I know they were a good posse? Because every time their posse marshal made a mistake, they covered for it. For that he thanks them.

I apologize for the length, but this EOT was so good I really wanted to tell folks. Too often, we hear the gossip, innuendo, and negative. Hopefully, those not there can get a taste of what it is like.

Don't apologize for the length-- I loved it! We were planning to go (went first time in 2012) and it all began to

unravel a month before. Plan B was in operation until 2 weeks prior.... registered, reservations made, clothes

selected, buckets of ammo...... and the Cosmic Dumptruck left a load on top of us.

So we had to enjoy it as best we could through the posts on the Wire. Thanks to you, and others with positive descriptions of the action we could enjoy it vicariously.

Glad to hear Yul Lose is gonna be OK. We expect to see him first thing, NEXT YEAR!

Bad & Goode Bascomb, Venemous Doc, and Ozark Lawdog.

Just got in from EOT. I've not been able to shoot much the past coupla years, but I've not missed an EOT since the last one in California and this EOT was so good I felt I had to share with those that didn't make it.

Not only the best main match stages but even the WARM-UP stages were a blast. Without being "identical" to the main match every warm-up stage had you shoot the kind of shot or flavor of the main match including transistions and starting position. Lots and lots of fun. Especially getting to shoot warm-up with Bobcat Tyler a 21 year old Gunfighter phenom. He truly has taken the art of Gunfighter to a new level. An enjoyable experience!

Main match stages were designed for both ends of the shooting spectrum. For those chasing the White Buffalo simply required maintaining presence of mind and aiming/squeezing every shot. Knockdown rifle and pistols afforded make-ups. For those feeling the "need for speed", the stages flowed with rhythm and left multiple choices for the shooter to maximize his whims and fun! All props worked superbly and targets were generous while requiring concentration. It don't git no better!

The 4-H'ers were a Godsend. They brassed, carried, fetched, and painted. Gladly donated to their cause.

Vendors were good. Quality was high. Purchased everything from Habenero BBQ sauce to pictures, knick-knacks, necklaces, and even a purse. Early Christmas shopping. I can't speak to much to the food cause Two Sons kept me in peanut butter sandwiches, but I can attest to the ice cream, sno cones, sodas, and lemonade, all value priced. Oh yeah, the big curly fries that Sam Balin shared were tasty! …and the corn dog on Saturday.

Entertainment? Super! I always like hearin' Frederick Jackson Turner. A real singin' Cowboy! The Best! I collect his CD's and can't wait for the new one. From Oglesby's trick shootin' to even listening to the various bands on stage. It was kinda cool listenin' to tunes like "Rocky Top" while shooting stages 9-12. There's just somethin' neat about hangin' around a cowboy town watchin' the stage coach carry people to and fro.

Registration was fast. Shooters book necesary and simple to use. Prize pickup efficient. SASS help was always close by. The Judge, US Grant, Tex, and Hip Shot were available and I couldn't help smiling watching and listening to a couple of first timers in awe of talking to badges #4 and #7. They just couldn't believe that Evil Roy was sitting right behind them! After they talked to Tex and Hip Shot they turned to me and asked if I was badge number 2! I responded that while some people referred to me as Number 2, I was not the General.

I wasn't able to arrive early enough to shoot Wild Bunch, but I over heard many discussing how good it was. I watched some of the extra Wild Bunch side matches including long range military rifle. This really enhances the Wild Bunch experience.

The Wild Bunch and Action top gun shoot off was the most entertaining I've seen. The shooters and targets were easy to see and the competition was fierce. I got to watch it with a good pard Possum Skinner and really enjoyed his company, thoughts, and insight. I see a visit to Louisiana in my future.

The saturday night party was not to be out done. All I gotta say is DOOLEY GANG! …and a little lemonade. T-Bone is the best impromptu man with a microphone and together with Ringo and Nuttin' the show is superb. The play by play of the the shoot off keeps the spectator engaged and informed. Makes the spectator feel like he's a part of the action. And the awards, phenomenal! So good, I stood for the whole time just to watch.

Leadership. Misty Moonshine sets the example when it comes to …doing. She was everywhere, every day, all the time. Taking care of everyone with a smile and a good word. I did something I've never done. First day main match I forgot my shooter's card. Not the first time for that, I just always do without. But this time, I felt so comfortable witht he administration that I just walked in and asked for a new one. Just happened Misty was there and took good care of it. Knowing those are tickets for door prizes I didn't really expect that. I returned my unused one the next day so she could see her faith was justified. SASS is lucky to have found her. She is the special ingredient that makes it all work.

Waddies, they were the most helpful. Like referees in a ball game. You don't notice they are there until you need something and then they've either already taken care of it or are in the process there of. The second time I did something I've never done before. Having not realized the time for my posse shoot, I didn't have ammo when the time came. I walked into the waddie shack and said "I've got an outlandish request". My posse is lining up for the team shoot and I forgot my ammo, could and would someone take me to the parking lot to retrieve some. With a nod of the head, I think it was Annie(?) that jumped up and had me there and back before my posse missed me! I thank them and everyone should know they enhance the EOT experience like no other shoot.

Lastly, match director T. A. Chance has turned this match into a shooters' shoot. However, those that have experienced Border Town are not surprised. "THANKS" T. A.! Words just don't express how deeply this man feels in his responsibiliy and desire to make the EOT shooting experience the best for every shooter present. Additionally, I was elated to hear that Lassiter will be Co-Match Director next year! His level of talent and desire in making a match is unbelievably unmatched. Paired with T. A. will make EOT 2015 an event not to miss!

I would be remiss If I didn't thank Persimmon Dan for inviting me to stay in the house they'd rented. I probably wouldn't have attended and would have missed the best EOT ever without his help. I likewise am gratefull to my other house mates ('Ole Short Tom, Two Sons, Spud, Crooked Cody, and El Paso Susie) for making a memorable week. We ate out, we grilled and partied, we ordered pizza in and most importantly we laughed a lot. After a week, ya kinda git to thinkin' of these folks as family!

Posse #22. We mighta been the oldest posse. We were the shortest with only 15 folks. Barely, 2 or three people knew each other. By Saturday, everyone was hangin' out exchanging stories being good friends. I know better than to mention names, but I want everyone of them to know they made this one of the funnest shooting weeks I've had in 17 years of cowboy! ON the first day when one of the spotters showed me a speck of blood from some pistol splash, I rubbed our hands together and said "Now, we're blood brothers"! How do I know they were a good posse? Because every time their posse marshal made a mistake, they covered for it. For that he thanks them.

I apologize for the length, but this EOT was so good I really wanted to tell folks. Too often, we hear the gossip, innuendo, and negative. Hopefully, those not there can get a taste of what it is like.

Max you are the best. Ol Short and I have known you forever and you are always right on with your positive opinions. You said it the stages did flow. Nothing "herky jerky". Overall we agree this was a great 2014 EOT.

Max is 100% correct. Everything about this match was extremely well done.

Three things I'll add.

You like targets close? Some of the pistol targets were no more than 2 yards! VERY cleanable match. In fact, they ended with 127(I think this number is correct) clean shooters.

Ports-johns...they had a bunch and they were serviced often.

And although he hasn't been shooting much and wouldn't tell you, Max shot a fantastic, clean match and finished 3rd behind two incredibly good gunfighters. Proud of you, Max!

Possum

Archived