SASS Wire Forum

B-Western - Your thoughts on changes

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having shot B western I feel it's ok to comment, when I made a comment about not wearing the correct boots due some feet issues I was told the shoot another catagory. I have switched to gunfighter due to the stage design. In the current climate it would seem easy to add pics to to on-line book as idea's on what is NOT allowed in the catagory. IE you can't wear this style boots, these holsters, as this is a much smaller list . This might be easier as if it not out-lawed it is ok to wear. It would stop any complaints about peoples attire. As I have stated on here before if more shooters worried about themselves and let the match directors " police" the shooters guns, attire , holsters, there would be a lot less problems.worry about keeping yourself legal and stop worrying about other people. Not casting stones, just my opinion from the 108 degree dry heat area.

I curious, and this is NOT meant to start a flame war, but since every western movie I can think of, they all shoot blanks that make smoke, so why is B Western not a BP only category?

Because the spotters cannot see the blanks hit the target if they were black powder loads! :)

I think someone thought Slick McClade's spur rowels were too small and the rest is for the fashion police. The SASS grapevine at EOT this year someone complained on a lady's Bwestern shirt that had bling around a fashion logo....WARNING...for improper logo use.

Then someone complained about Slick's rowels and his boots, too.

Then someone complained about someone's skirt.

There's just a lot to the category that blings the eye. My guess is that someone thought they'd win through disqualification. Probably oughta go practice instead....

+1

Having shot B western I feel it's ok to comment, when I made a comment about not wearing the correct boots due some feet issues I was told the shoot another catagory. I have switched to gunfighter due to the stage design. In the current climate it would seem easy to add pics to to on-line book as idea's on what is NOT allowed in the catagory. IE you can't wear this style boots, these holsters, as this is a much smaller list . This might be easier as if it not out-lawed it is ok to wear. It would stop any complaints about peoples attire. As I have stated on here before if more shooters worried about themselves and let the match directors " police" the shooters guns, attire , holsters, there would be a lot less problems.worry about keeping yourself legal and stop worrying about other people. Not casting stones, just my opinion from the 108 degree dry heat area.

The list of NOT ALLOWED would be endless....

You can't wear a coon skin cap in the category.....

95% of the people that shoot B Western know exactly what is allowed by the descriptions in the rules. It is just a few that take "minimal" to the limits.

At many larger shoots you cannot tell if some people are shooting B Western by what they are wearing it is so minimal. You really get surprised when you read the published scores that these shooters were even shooting in the same category.

What prompts this revamping of the category?

gooooooooood question !

The only reason I ever shot this cat. was so I could shoot gunfighter style with my blackhawks. If I brought an embroidered shirt in the house my wife would have it in the woodstove within minutes. It looks like I am being forced out, unless there is some other cat were I can shoot blackhawks gunfighter style.

(and no I have no intention of buying vaqueros)

The only reason I ever shot this cat. was so I could shoot gunfighter style with my blackhawks. If I brought an embroidered shirt in the house my wife would have it in the woodstove within minutes. It looks like I am being forced out, unless there is some other cat were I can shoot blackhawks gunfighter style.

Jimmy,

I agree with you. You can shoot Blackhawks any "age based" category including Senior Duelist but not gunfighter.

Ok, you put down the minimum requirements and if they are wearing at least that much ok. Ace as you stated most know what the rules state and I was hoping with a few items that are normally questioned , that a small list would end a lot of questions. People have different ideas on what they like and that is ok. The minimum requirement should not be a problem anymore than wearing everything possible, read legal, should be a problem. I am sure that if looked at, that there are questions that are asked most often on b clothing and that is what I was suggesting. blue jeans any brand, minimum style and type shirt with a pic, holsters similar to this with pic, spurs similar to this with pic, hat etc. you get the idea. Just because it is not bling over the top does not make it wrong, it is just someone's idea on how they like to dress. This gives what you have to have to start shooting the catagory and you can go up from there.

Jimmy,

Any "age based" category including Senior Duelist

Gunfighter, Senior Gunfighter and B-western are the only categories that are allowed to shoot gunfighter style.

Blackhawks may be used in the age based categories, but not shot gunfighter.

think of the song from Disney,,,,

"Let it go, let it go, let it goooooooooooooooooo'"

it taint broke,,,,, dunt ruin it!!

exactlyyyyyyyyyy . . . . .!

Gunfighter, Senior Gunfighter and B-western are the only categories that are allowed to shoot gunfighter style.

You are correct Dave.

Jimmy,

I agree with you. You can shoot Blackhawks any "age based" category including Senior Duelist but not gunfighter.

Purdy Boy has it right......ain't broke, don't fix it. Exactly 17 shooters shot B-Western at EOT. That's 3.2% of all participating shooters at EOT. My question is, what percentage of B-Western shooters WHERE not in compliance with present day rules?

Why should the rules be changed to what one person desires? Just to satisfy one persons "vision" of what B-western should be? I think not.

There were 1,000's of B-Western movies. Regardless of what some folks think, I have seen pump shotguns, bowler hats and various other items in B-Westerns.......heck, most of the men and women sported hair styles of the day when they made the movies. Should that be part of the "new" rules also?

Everyones "vision" of the old west is different......regardless of what movie they saw.

CS

Senior Gunfighter?????

Senior Gunfighter?????

Howdy Phantom, congrats on yer EOT category win.

Did I spell it wrong or what?

Or are you pointing out that Senior Gunfighter is an age based category and blackhawks are allowed.

Or maybe that Senior Gunfighter isn't shown in the shooters handbook? Not that I could find anyway. I reckon since they had it at EOT and awarded a world championship trophy for it, that point is moot.

I was just trying to help folks understand what could be shot where, what was your point?

It can get confusing... You read the June Chronicle, it is made to sound like the Senior GF categories are just an age division of the GF rules.

I know that in the rules, Senior Duelist is spelled out differently.

Didn't the CC also carry a notice a while back the SR GF would not allow adjustable sight revolvers at EOT?

Just sayin.

Howdy Phantom, congrats on yer EOT category win.

Did I spell it wrong or what?

Or are you pointing out that Senior Gunfighter is an age based category and blackhawks are allowed.

Or maybe that Senior Gunfighter isn't shown in the shooters handbook? Not that I could find anyway. I reckon since they had it at EOT and awarded a world championship trophy for it, that point is moot.

I was just trying to help folks understand what could be shot where, what was your point?

Can appreciate your efforts to help folks out...so if a category is not an official category, perhaps it's not really helping out.

Of course I could be wrong...and it is an official category :mellow:

Otherwise, perhaps we should add mention of FCGF????

:blink:

The suggested rules do not require you to wear an embroidered shirt.

If you don't want to be that FLASHY stay with fancy and wear a shirt with smiley pockets or a different colored yoke.

B Western is suppose the STAND OUT in the crowd, not blend in with it.

Can appreciate your efforts to help folks out...so if a category is not an official category, perhaps it's not really helping out.

Of course I could be wrong...and it is an official category :mellow:

Otherwise, perhaps we should add mention of FCGF????

:blink:

You do make a valid point about perhaps including that in a list of 'categories' that allow shooting gunfighter style.

He was talking about blackhawks and the straight FC requires fixed sight revolvers, probably not an option for him.

If someone indeed made a lady cry over clothing they should have been removed from the range!!!!! (not done with my inside polite voice, if that is ok)

where's my meds?

oh yea, guess I don't have to worry about wearing a dress.... oy!!

Purdy Boy has it right......ain't broke, don't fix it. Exactly 17 shooters shot B-Western at EOT. That's 3.2% of all participating shooters at EOT. My question is, what percentage of B-Western shooters WHERE not in compliance with present day rules?

Why should the rules be changed to what one person desires? Just to satisfy one persons "vision" of what B-western should be? I think not.

There were 1,000's of B-Western movies. Regardless of what some folks think, I have seen pump shotguns, bowler hats and various other items in B-Westerns.......heck, most of the men and women sported hair styles of the day when they made the movies. Should that be part of the "new" rules also?

Everyones "vision" of the old west is different......regardless of what movie they saw.

CS

The question is not if we are going to add to the rules.

They have already been added to by the rules committee by allowing dresses as a suitable substitute for a shirt and skirt.

The question posed is what are the minimum requirements for that item of clothing.

Other suggestions to modify the B-Western category requirements are welcome.

the dress must meet the same requirements as a shirt/blouse/bodice and skirt combination.

how many of you realize that earthwalkers are BW legal if fancied up?

I used to shoot Lady B Western about half the time, until it was time to get a new rifle. I had been looking around for something else that would allow me to continue with LBW, until a sweet little 73 that needed a forever home started calling my name in Running Iron's tent one match....it was a hard decision to make, but I gave that thing a home and have stuck with Lady Wrangler or Lady Gunfighter ever since. But it was always in the back of my mind that someday I'd love to have another BW legal rifle.....until now.....

Some of you folks have convinced me, I don't EVER wanna shoot LBW agin, I'll keep my BW outfits and my 73 and my other two categories....and wear whutever tha heck I feel like!! :angry::angry::angry:

You know what... I'm so sick and tired of Tex always harping on his vision of costuming to the point that I don't want to hear Ace or anyone else nag about it either.

Shirts - blah, blah, blah

Jeans - blah, blah, blah

Rowels - blah, blah, blah

Just leave it alone already!

Seems like B Western shooters have enough difficulty dealing with the wording as it is now, and self policing their attire, changing it will just make it more difficult. Seems like a solution for a problem that does not exit.

no

The only thing about B Western that was discussed at the EOT TG meeting was whether ladies should be allowed to wear dresses. After one lady explained the difference between a dress and a skirt to the uninformed males, the consensus was a firm -- who cares!!! (As long as the dresses have the required BLING.)

Archived