SASS Wire Forum

Emergency alerts on cell phone

Around 4pm I got an emergency alert that said Civil emergency in this area until 410pm. Prepare for action. 10 minutes later it said false alarm. When these things go off it REALLY gets your attention if your phone is near by!

Here's part of what I found online:

An alert received on many peoples' cell phones in San Luis Obispo County Friday afternoon was sent out by mistake, according to the San Luis Obispo County Office of Emergency Services (OES).

Ron Alsop with OES says an emergency alert siren was going off in the Orcutt and Biddle Ranch Road area in San Luis Obispo for unknown reasons and the office was unable to shut it off remotely.

They were working to get the word out on television and radio, and did not know the alert would also be sent to cell phones.

Alsop says a "Civil Emergency" is an internal message that goes from their office to broadcasters, and would not be sent out to cell phones during an actual emergency.

So the system works, if your cell provider allows emergency alerts, here ATT does, my friends with Verizon doesn't.Don't know about others.

I had no idea this could happen, but it could be useful, especially if Mexico invades again...

Around 4pm I got an emergency alert that said Civil emergency in this area until 410pm. Prepare for action. 10 minutes later it said false alarm. When these things go off it REALLY gets your attention if your phone is near by!

An alert received on many peoples' cell phones in San Luis Obispo County Friday afternoon was sent out by mistake, according to the San Luis Obispo County Office of Emergency Services (OES).

Ron Alsop with OES says an emergency alert siren was going off in the Orcutt and Biddle Ranch Road area in San Luis Obispo for unknown reasons and the office was unable to shut it off remotely.

They were working to get the word out on television and radio, and did not know the alert would also be sent to cell phones.

Alsop says a "Civil Emergency" is an internal message that goes from their office to broadcasters, and would not be sent out to cell phones during an actual emergency.

So the system works, if your cell provider allows emergency alerts, here ATT does, my friends with Verizon doesn't.Don't know about others.

I had no idea this could happen, but it could be useful, especially if Mexico invades again...

It's too late. The invasion has happened.

I have Verizon and I get emergency alerts. Scares the crap out of me every time. A couple of years ago I was in class when I got one. Everyone jumped at the sound of it.

I have Verizon and get them on my phone. They are a little quirky but I do get them. Living in an area that is prone to extreme weather like severe thunderstorms and tornado's, I like knowing what's going on outside. Especially if I'm not near a window to see it. {My office building has no windows.}

It's my understanding now that the carrier's emergency alert coverage is not nationwide, but by areas.

It did bother me that it was a "civil emergency" and to "prepare for action," at least until the cancellation.

Hey, if I lived in an area where tornados were an issue I would want it too.

Especially if I'm not near a window to see it. {My office building has no windows.}

Jeez, what kind of office do you work in?

Jeez, what kind of office do you work in?

Must be top secret... :ph34r:

Har. No. My office building was added onto a manufacturing building as an after-thought. That's why there aren't any windows. My building is designated as a "-A" for "Annex".

howdy MD!!

Virtually no cell signal where we live. :D

Archived