SASS Wire Forum

.38 caliber ammunition tube

Kidd Krystin

Somewhere I saw information on a 20 inch ammunition tube liner for the 1873 clones that was designed for .38 caliber. It comes with new spring and follower. What company was this and has anyone had experience with this liner?

I think Pioneer Gun Works sells them.

Fillmore

An answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

And your rational is? In case you had not figured it out, most Uberti 73s in 357 caliber use a 45 caliber mag tube. When the rounds exit the larger mag tube, the first few (stronger spring for first few) out, come out crooked. When they do, the gun can jam, or at least a lot more lever pressure is needed to get them into the lifter correctly and chamber them.

Slick McClade sells the one from Shotgun Boogie

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/index.html

+1 on the .45 mag tube and the .38 bullets. By using the proper sized tube you can cut down the mag tube spring tension requirement and get a smoother

cycle on your action.

+ 1, waste of time and funds

On the other hand, both Deuce Stevens and Lead Ringer have previously posted that these provide a distinct improvement in rifle function. Hmmmmmm, wonder whose opinion I should rely on?

Mose Spencer also carries them.

If that were the case why would some of the top gunsmiths in our sport have them in their competition rifles.

And a lot of them don't have them. So who is correct? Seems a lot of problems are manufactured with the intent of fixing it for a profit. How long have folks been shootin 73's? Suddenly a problem?

And a lot of them don't have them. So who is correct? Seems a lot of problems are manufactured with the intent of fixing it for a profit. How long have folks been shootin 73's? Suddenly a problem?

By that logic, short stroke kits are a solution looking for a problem. Folks was shootin there 73s for 130 years with no problem.

+ 1, waste of time and funds

My time. My Funds. And how do you know there was not a problem. Have you ran my rifle??

Did my rifle have a big problem? NO. Did it have a little hiccup now and then. YES.

Has that little hiccup went away after I put one in. YES.

My Rifle has never ran better, and smoother than after I put it in.

Some may not even notice the difference. But some will.

I thought it was more than worth the $75 bucks.

In this particular instance their are plenty of rifles out there that could use this product. The area of the receiver where the tube meets it is not machined very well. In some cases there is a pronounced lip that the rounds in the tube have to over come hence the need for stiff factory tube springs. Have you ever seen a shooter rack the lever and the chamber be empty in the middle of a string? Theoretically impossible with a 73 yet it happens. The rifle that I set the former world record with had that problem. I fixed it with a considerable amount of metal work. If the tubes would have been available then it would have been an easy fix.

Having a smaller tube and keeping the bullets more aligned is good for sure but overcoming the poor workmanship from the factory is even better.

Not all 73's I've looked at had the issue but some did. Keep in mind too that some issues only appear when you break certain performance levels.

Stan who is not affiliated with any manufacturer of this type of product.

They make a difference. 100% guaranteed!

You may not notice any glitchy issues running a stage at 25+ seconds?? But start running 20-14 second stage's and you'll notice little glitches in the rifle. Often its the cartridge being pushed back into the carrier at an angle. Why? Because the mag tube is way to big in diameter!

You'll have to do a lot of explaining to convince me its not better or makes no differance to have the cartridge feed properly in to the carrier.

FYI...Miss Brhavin' noticed a difference immediately after installing the sleeve! And her rifle times improved. And a good stage time for her is 24 seconds;)

Please nobody else use them..LOL:)

Regards,

Ringer

It's like golf clubs. Is the average player going to notice a difference with a 500 dollar driver ?probably not. Some of us will. I think they are a help especially with truncated cone bullets. My gun will sometimes lockup while loading the magazine. I have to push the loading gate and unload a couple rounds then re insert them to get the bullets aligned. If you don't think you need one then don't buy one. Simple as that.

It's like golf clubs. Is the average player going to notice a difference with a 500 dollar driver ?probably not. Some of us will. I think they are a help especially with truncated cone bullets. My gun will sometimes lockup while loading the magazine. I have to push the loading gate and unload a couple rounds then re insert them to get the bullets aligned. If you don't think you need one then don't buy one. Simple as that.

The golf club analogy is a good one. The average player, me, does notice a difference in a good driver. Every couple of years I do purchase a new driver, sometimes it is the latest being built other times it is a year old model. Unlike guns, golf equipment changes fairly often even tho the specifications remain the same, manufacturers find new ways to have their new choice of clubs do better than they did in last iteration. Well, maybe golf equipment is like guns. Gunsmiths find ways to continue to improve our guns within the rules just like golf clubs. What I do is every couple of years, take my driver to one of those high tech centers with the computer room and hit my current driver along with several new ones. If a new one stands out and my driver is getting a bit old in the tooth, I buy the new one. I started playing golf when I was 14 years old and have played it off and on for 55 plus years. When I was 19, I played well enough to get a top 5 finish in our state amateur championship. The drivers and balls I was hitting were about standard for that era. Golf Club technology has allowed me now 70 to drive the ball as far and straighter than I did then. Am I as good of golfer, hell no. What it does mean is that my enjoyment of the game has stayed about the same. If I had to use the technology I was using back in the 50s/60s, I would likely have quit by now. My new goal is to shoot my age on a difficult course-say where we live. This winter I got within 5 strokes. Here's hoping.

I made a Brass tube with the 38 cal 92 id and the 73 od.I use the 92 ss spring and the 92 ss follower.I also use a 92 tube inside a 73 tube to test if a shooter likes it or not.It helped with my 73 feeding.It will feed any OAL from 1.335 up.I did it because I love the brass.

Mack if I had the gold I would have the 45s or 44 Bps

Archived