SASS Wire Forum

What the hell is wrong with people?

Subdeacon Joe

And the Pilgrims have nothing to do with it; our restrictive gun laws are the product of a Democrat dominated legislature and politicians pandering to scared suburban soccer moms. Period.

LL

Very true. And the danger of liberal politicians gaining control exists in every state today.

We must stay informed and involved in the fight.

And I would say that Massachusetts not recognizing Any other state's permits is in fact, screwy.

So hypothetically this happens in your presence and you're carrying. What do you do? In addition to calling the police of course.

You mean pull a gun for a fist fight? No.

But I would have to intervene.

No I don't mean pull a gun. ;)

I mean you have a gun on you, legally, but you're not a cop. You're going to physically intervene? Any concerns about weapon retention, and/or escalation?

Since you don't really know anything at that point other than one women is getting her butt kicked by another while the baby screams how does that affect your use of force on the one you perceive to be the aggressor?

You going to use harsh language? You going to grab her? If she resists you going to hit her? Who's watching your kids while your doing this? What if it's a lovers quarrel and the other one turns on you?

I'm not at all trying to pick on you, but you're both LEOs with tons more experience than me and I would like to know how you think a concerned armed citizen should intervene in a case like this.

I mean you have a gun on you, legally, but you're not a cop. You're going to physically intervene? Any concerns about weapon retention, and/or escalation?

Since you don't really know anything at that point other than one women is getting her butt kicked by another while the baby screams how does that affect your use of force on the one you perceive to be the aggressor?

You going to use harsh language? You going to grab her? If she resists you going to hit her? Who's watching your kids while your doing this? What if it's a lovers quarrel and the other one turns on you?

I'm not at all trying to pick on you, but you're both LEOs with tons more experience than me and I would like to know how you think a concerned armed citizen should intervene in a case like this.

Pard... If I was present witnessing this as shown in the OP you damn right I'd ntervene ( without pulling a firearm unless Immenent threat of death and bodily harm to ME) Couldn't live with myself if I was one of those bystanders that did NOTHING.

GG

Okay, if you have children with you and no spouse then your obvious primary concern is their well being.

Since you asked "What would you do?", I was speaking simply of what I would do in that situation. I have no kids to worry about. I,m notnreal concerned with weapon retention as my gun is always well concealed and in a very good holster. No one knows I am armed until I need to draw.

Now, for a person who does not have any training or experience in unarmed defense tactics, the issue gets more complicated. Is the victim in imment danger of death or serious bodily injury? You should know your state laws which outline what action you may be able to legally take. In this particular case, you should be concerned for the safety of the young boy who is attempting to defend his mother and get him out of harms way immediately. Then, verbally try to stop the attack. If that doesn't work and you feel you can physically stop the attack, then it's decision time. Of course, calling 911 is the first thing you should do. If there's time.

Okay, if you have children with you and no spouse then your obvious primary concern is their well being.

Since you asked "What would you do?", I was speaking simply of what I would do in that situation. I have no kids to worry about. I,m notnreal concerned with weapon retention as my gun is always well concealed and in a very good holster. No one knows I am armed until I need to draw.

Now, for a person who does not have any training or experience in unarmed defense tactics, the issue gets more complicated. Is the victim in imment danger of death or serious bodily injury? You should know your state laws which outline what action you may be able to legally take. In this particular case, you should be concerned for the safety of the young boy who is attempting to defend his mother and get him out of harms way immediately. Then, verbally try to stop the attack. If that doesn't work and you feel you can physically stop the attack, then it's decision time. Of course, calling 911 is the first thing you should do. If there's time.

If I was witnessing the op event if my wife is with me she would expect me to intervene. We discussed this and she might even intervene too. Probably before me. She said make sure the kid is safe first and she would do that. We both are perplexed and saddened that people would just stand around and watch this sort of violence happen to a lady and her child without taking some sort of action...

One other factor is possibly some of the folks watching were part of her crew. I've seen that before. In that case, things could go wrong real fast.

One other factor is possibly some of the folks watching were part of her crew. I've seen that before. In that case, things could go wrong real fast.

Then one deals with it and makes the assessment based on the situation. We can only respond how we would act if the op video was simply based on what we saw. As with any video there could be other circumstances that are not brought out. We can all 'imagine' extra elements involved.

GG

See I don't think we're that far apart in our view. I have five children, two adults and three under 9 and the little ones are usually with me in an around the town type setting. They're my primary responsibility. I am a little more concerned with weapon retention than you because I'm not trained for that type of situation. If you want me to shoot a city with a ballistic missile, pard I'm there. Trainings a bit out of date, but I'll make it work.

But a physical altercation with unknown individuals in a setting I'm not familiar with, while carrying (and I pretty much always carry now that GA law has been changed) surrounded by people I don't know and a dispute I'm not familiar with. No thanks. I'll secure the kid and call for help, but short of imminent death I'm not in it.

Short of a Zombie attack or an immediate threat to family, friends or me, I'm not engaging, cause to me once I commit that means the chance exists that the gun will have to come out.

Then one deals with it and makes the assessment based on the situation. We can only respond how we would act if the op video was simply based on what we saw. As with any video there could be other circumstances that are not brought out. We can all 'imagine' extra elements involved.

GG

That's the problem Gunner. On the scene you don't know anything upfront. Hell the 'victim' might have just got caught molesting the aggressor's child. Highly unlikely, but the point is you don't know. I got knocked out cold once while working as a doorman in Virginia Beach and it was because I assumed the 'vic' was the vic. I was wrong and while I was dealing with the big guy I thought was the problem, the little guy hit me in the back of the head with a beer bottle. I may be a bit slow at times, but I can learn in the school of hard knocks.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/27/nj-mom-in-videotaped-beating-criticizes-onlookers/

I say the 2 year old needs to be deputized. He appears to be the onlt one willing to do what is right and help someone in need

I just watched the video for the first time, accidentally. I'd been avoiding it because I figured it'd raise some feelings in me... It did.

Like most of the others here, I was raised to never, ever, no matter what, hit a woman.

I don't know why it's hitting me so hard now that I saw the video, but if that had been my wife/sister/friend, I'd have destroyed the assailant. Woman or not.

If I saw something like that and didn't know the woman on the short end, I'd still step in. Honestly there'd be more thought involved with stopping myself than there would be in making myself step in, and I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise...

I'm absolutely disgusted that not a single person stepped in to stop that...

And they undoubtedly would have jumped whoever kicked that big girl right off the other one.

All I can say is, if I were to see something like that, it wouldn't have been the first time I had my butt whipped. So be it...

No kid should see their parent get whipped, especially not their Momma.

See I don't think we're that far apart in our view. I have five children, two adults and three under 9 and the little ones are usually with me in an around the town type setting. They're my primary responsibility. I am a little more concerned with weapon retention than you because I'm not trained for that type of situation. If you want me to shoot a city with a ballistic missile, pard I'm there. Trainings a bit out of date, but I'll make it work.

But a physical altercation with unknown individuals in a setting I'm not familiar with, while carrying (and I pretty much always carry now that GA law has been changed) surrounded by people I don't know and a dispute I'm not familiar with. No thanks. I'll secure the kid and call for help, but short of imminent death I'm not in it.

Short of a Zombie attack or an immediate threat to family, friends or me, I'm not engaging, cause to me once I commit that means the chance exists that the gun will have to come out.

That's the problem Gunner. On the scene you don't know anything upfront. Hell the 'victim' might have just got caught molesting the aggressor's child. Highly unlikely, but the point is you don't know. I got knocked out cold once while working as a doorman in Virginia Beach and it was because I assumed the 'vic' was the vic. I was wrong and while I was dealing with the big guy I thought was the problem, the little guy hit me in the back of the head with a beer bottle. I may be a bit slow at times, but I can learn in the school of hard knocks.

Again.... My thoughts are based on what is known of the situation and of it is just what it is per the op. We can all add stories and hypotheticals... That changes everything possibly.

And I agree with the title "what the hell is wrong with people' - nuff said.

GG

GG

Yes. Assessing the situation is paramount. Folks with experience in such things have the advantage.

I would have intervened and I might have gotten my ass whopped. But you know, it wouldn't be the first time and at least I could hold my head up with dignity. Too many people are afraid to get involved because of law suits or fear of injury to themselves, but I had rather be a man than a sheep. That's the problem, we have raised generations of sheep. Now I'll get off my soap box.

I can't speak for the others, but the laws regarding carry in MA are not "screwy". If you do not have a MA Class A concealed carry permit, you cannot carry. Period. MA does not recognize any out of state permits. Period. If you are travelling from out of state with legal firearms, lock them in a case and put them in the trunk, separate from ammo. Period. I have never heard of anyone being arrested in MA for properly transporting firearms in this manner. Carry illegally, and it's an automatic one year in prison. Simple. As for not doing business here, that's your choice; but unless your business involves illegal guns, you have nothing to fear.

I understand that we all would like to carry legally across all state lines. But until the Congress decides to adopt some uniform standards and laws, that cannot happen.

LL

Yeah, that sounds great . . .???? :unsure:

I'm not sure if you were joking, being sarcastic, or what, but I agree with the guy who said he avoids that and a few other states because of their left-wing laws. Personally, I just added an hour each way to a motorcycle trip a week ago, to avoid setting foot in Maryland, because of its gun laws.

What the hell is wrong with people?

They are people.

Archived