SASS Wire Forum

WTB/Borrow/Rent/Buy

Tater Head

Howdy Pards,

any of you have the proper butt stock bolt bit to remove the butt stock from an 1100. I am cheap and hate to buy a tool for a one time use.

Will pay rent or borrow with deposit.

Thanks For Looking,

Tater

Remington 1100 shotgun??

If I recall - I used a large (long) screwdriver and put a socket head on the point of the screwdriver.

Maybe 1/4 inch? 5/16ths

Is that what you are trying to accomplish - to remove the stock? Your use of the word "bit" is what is confusing me.

- BB

I have one of the factory wrenches, but do not like it as much as the one I made. Search 1100 stock removal and you will get some ideas about building one yourself from a screw driver and socket I think, it has been a while since I used mine and can not remember how it is made. I will look tonight and refresh my memory...

Regards,

Ivery

All you need is a large screwdriver. As with any screwdriver the blade HAS TO FIT the screw. File or grind the blade so that it fits the screw head. Here is a short how to on shaping the blade http://www.listoftools.com/grinding_operations/screwdriver_tip_dressing.html

Some screws are in there pretty tight and this is where a screwdriver with a square shank and a helper comes in handy.

Clamp the stock in a padded vice. One person holds the screwdriver and applies pressure to keep it engaged with the screw. This person DOES NOT attempt to loosen the screw they only apply pressure to keep the blade in the slot. The second person uses a wrench on the screwdriver shaft to loosen the screw.

Learned this trick while in the Navy. Two people can loosen screws that one person would never be able to remove on their own. Saved having to drill out a lot of panel screws that some bonehead put in too tight.

You can also use an old spade type wood bit. Use one that is just a little bit smaler than the hole in the stock. Grind the point off and square the cutting edges. Use vice grips to turn.

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies.

Boneyard Bill,

I use the term "Bit" just because that's what Brownell's called it that.

Ivery Keys,

if you could take a picture of your home made one it would be great. I would be glad to send you a deposit for your factory tool, pay the postage and give you $10.00 rent. I'd buy it from you for $20.00 delivered.

Sedalia Dave,

Great idea! I have considered cutting down a 7/16" spade bit and still might.

Again Guys Thanks,

Tater

Don't know where this "Special Tool" mentality is coming from. I have removed the stock on hundreds of 1100 Remington's with nothing but a large screwdriver. That's all it takes, and anyone telling you differently, simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

Just get a large screwdriver with a square shank, so you can add turning pressure if needed with a crescent wrench. Just that simple.

Tater,

after reading the answers you received, I remembered that I have had better results with a spade bit and socket that fits the shank of the bit. I do not think I even cut the end of the spade bit off, because if memory serves me correctly, the screw is hollow. I will see what I can find later and contact you tomorrow with more...

Regards,

Ivery

If a socket will fit in the stock why not use a socket and a couple extensions with a ratchet.

Fillmore

Howdy Pards,

Maybe I am making this harder than it needs to be. The shotgun is probably my favorite hunting gun and I just want to be sure to not screw up the stock. I'll use a big screw driver or a cut down spade bit.

I really appreciate all of the help.

Thanks,

Tater

Guest Grass Range #51406

The screwdriver blade has to be long enough to reach the stock bolt and should have a fairly heavy shaft. The important thing is to make sure before you start turning is that the bit is in the bolt heads slot and not between the head and the stock or you could split out stock. Never had this happen to me but it has. If you don't have anything else to use as a guide wrap several layers of tape around the shaft just behind the flat part of the shaft with just enough room to get the whole thing in the hole. Shine a light in their so you can see the position of the slot which makes it easier to get the blade in the slot.

Grass Range,

thanks for the offer. I am going to make a tool from a spade bit. I'd like to take you up on your offer if fail in my efforts.

Thanks,

Tater

Archived