SASS Wire Forum

Test results factory .45 Colt lead bullet ammunition

Since some .45 Colt enthusiasts don't reload, I became interested in the performance and accuracy of the current .45 Colt factory offerings. For long range side matches or Cowboy Silhouette, the more accurate ammo would produce the best results.

Prior to the accuracy / velocity testing, I dissected an average of 5 rounds of each type to determine the average powder charge weight used. Powders were likely non canister and not available to reloaders. I then measured the bullet diameter and checked the hardness. Higher BHN = harder

Note that the softer swaged bulleted cartridges produced the best, most consistant accuracy with the exception of Aquila.

I tested the velocity when the cartridges were chambered from the magazine and if the powder was positioned to the rear to see what the difference might be. In positioning the powder to the rear, I partially chambered a cartridge, then pointed the muzzle up to at least 60 degrees for 1 second, then when the muzzle was pointing towards the target, I completed closing the action.

I ranked the cartridges in descending order by the most accurate to least.

At number 1 is the standard .45 Colt RNFPHB ammunition. It features a hollow based bullet and was the only one to do so with the exception of the Aquila which came in last.

I also fired groups at 100 yards with the top 2 and accuracy was very good in the 2” – 3” range with the number 1 cartridge turning in the best group (1 group went 1.55" @ 100). I did not have enough rounds left of the Hornady ammunition to try them at 100 but I would expect they would do well also.

45Coltammotests.jpg

* Black Hills must have increased the performance of their ammunition since it clocked close to 850 f.p.s.. from my 5 1/2" barreled sixgun.

I had recently found a box of the Aquila .45 Colt Cowboy at a distant gunshop. It contained 200 gr. hollow based bullets with a lighter, as compared to the other brands, 3.4 gr charge of powder. They should call it “.45 Colt Lite Cowboy” or “.45 Colt Reduced Recoil”. I see that other makers offer cartridges with similar ballistics, however in testing the ammo in my single action revolver it fell 100 f.p.s. short of the claimed 650 f.p.s. velocity. I think I will contact Aquila to let them know.

There are a number of other .45 Colt Cowboy cartridges as indicated in this chart. If anyone has the opportunity to test any of them please let us know how they performed.

45ColtCowboyAmmo-other.jpg

Oh, rifle used was a Marlin .45 Colt Cowboy with a scope for more precise aiming. After all this was a test of what the rifle / ammo combination was capable of rather than a test of my eyesight……

Jack

Archived