SASS Wire Forum

CARTRIDGE CONVERSION

Is my thirty year old (never fired) Remington Army, Armi San Marco 44 a good candidate for a black powder cartridge conversion and if so which manufacturer?

Carlos Murphy

Hi Carlos:

Yes.

Probably needs smoothing up & the springs lightened.

I like the R & D cylinders the best.

Kirst work just fine, but I've always felt they changed the "feel" of the action.

--Dawg

Kenny Howell can fit one to your ASM.

http://www.howelloldwestconversions.com/

It's the cylinder that takes the beating from the pressure & it's new modern steel -- it won't blow up.

Even lighter are cowboy specials.

Either way, a EPP-UG from Dick Dastardly performs splendidly in Colt, Schofield, and Cowboy special cases.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=d3fb4508-70e1-4d9b-87bd-6d9c2d504d33

--Dawg

I enjoy shooting .45 cowboy specials in my 1851 conversions. The load on .45 ACP dies and have about the same case capacity as a .38 Special. They are short enough that I can use any bullet shape. SWCs are long in .45 Colt brass and close to being long in Schofields. I can always find .45 SWC at my local dealers.

guys

I should have added , about 25 years ago , I got a used C&B revolver , that turned loose , while firing

with proper loads , since then , I have become , a tad shy , about unknown things

P Dawg , knows , more about BP that I do , so I will go with his advice

Chickasaw Bill

Thanks for all the great info guys, I'll look into the R&D and Henny Howell.

Mocho grassiass.

Carlos Murphy

Archived