SASS Wire Forum

Snake Gaiters

Any body have any experience with snake gaiters My neighbors have seen quite a number of large rattlesnakes on their properties and with my poor hearing they'd have to be in my hat before I heard them. I do carry my Bond with 3" 410 on me when working on the property, but don't want to have to drive myself to the ER.

I wear Chippewa Snake Boots, which give more protection than gaiters.. Protects your legs from much more than snakes. You can get factory seconds (cosmetic blemishes) off e-bay for around $85, they're normally $185. Snake gaiters are going to run you around $70, so I think the boots are a much better value.

I wear Chippewa Snake Boots, which give more protection than gaiters.. Protects your legs from much more than snakes. You can get factory seconds (cosmetic blemishes) off e-bay for around $85, they're normally $185. Snake gaiters are going to run you around $70, so I think the boots are a much better value.

Yeah, I'm sure heavy boots are more protection, but for a number of reasons they're not for me.

Any body have any experience with snake gaiters My neighbors have seen quite a number of large rattlesnakes on their properties and with my poor hearing they'd have to be in my hat before I heard them. I do carry my Bond with 3" 410 on me when working on the property, but don't want to have to drive myself to the ER.

I've used them before, I haven't been hit yet. But they do wonders for cactus. I believe they would help on all but the largest of rattlesnakes. Unfortunately, Rattlesnakes are one of the hardest hitting snakes in the world and it takes quite a bit to stop them. A very large snake wouldn't have much trouble getting through gaiters. I will say that you do get what you pay for, and an expensive pair of gaiters is still a lot cheaper than a single dose of antivenin. As they say "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If it was me....I'd use snake boots AND gaiters!!!!!

Not to mention I'd be carrying an arsenal of weaponry with me. Just in case.

EC

One problem you will run into is heat. Either gaiters or boots that will stop a snake create a large amount of heat. Not comfortable at all.

If you are going to wear them any way, pieces of stove pipe cut to fit your legs are acceptable alternatives. Does not, of course, protect your feet but good on the legs.

Bob 1 snakes 0, got a 3 ft one this afternoon, 10 rattles on it. :ph34r:

PS: anybody know how to make a snake hat band :)

go here ASAP: http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileArticles/04/047E8BE968.html

If you don't want to by the tanning kit you can use a 50/50 mix of Glycerin and Alcohol.

Most important is to not let the skin dry out. Has to be fleshed really well and kept in the freezer until you are ready to tan it.

Keep the meat it tastes great fried.

Snake gaiters in action (not for the squeamish)

"HEY BILLY, c'mere... I need you to try something..."

Most important is to not let the skin dry out. Has to be fleshed really well and kept in the freezer until you are ready to tan it.

Just make sure to let everybody else in the house know you put a snake in the freezer.

go here ASAP: http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileArticles/04/047E8BE968.html

If you don't want to by the tanning kit you can use a 50/50 mix of Glycerin and Alcohol.

Keep the meat it tastes great fried.

Thanks, it shouldn't dry out for a while, it's hailing like crazy right now. I'll follow the directions.

"HEY BILLY, c'mere... I need you to try something..."

Just make sure to let everybody else in the house know you put a snake in the freezer.

GOOD idea, the wifes out of town. She might have a heart attack if she found it in the freezer.

GOOD idea, the wifes out of town. She might have a heart attack if she found it in the freezer.

Yep... Once upon a time a girl I was with and I went our separate ways, and I ended up on a buddies couch for a couple weeks.

He had a timber rattler in his freezer, and forgot to mention it.

It was a pretty exciting discovery.

I have never seen a snake wear gaiters.

I think they would only be able to wear one at a time.

BCB,

You'll need 440 Dernier material, or higher to slow down rattler fangs.

Regards

CBO

Hmmmm....I make a few leather things every now and then. I wonder if there is a snake gaiter pattern out there somewhere.

I was thinkin a set of leggings made of thick, hard leather might do the trick.

Maybe go Viking and sew some thin steel plates to them.

Just remember, snake fangs are designed to penetrate leather.

A group of us hunted a reserve in southern OK a few years back. One of the group killed a pretty good hog. When we skinned the hog we found green pus pockets all over the hog. Yup, snake bites. Seems when the hogs run across a snake they start eating with no concern for which end they bite first. The snake fangs penetrate the skin but cannot get thru the fat to the muscle. Therefore, no effect on the hog.

I would say where's the fun in that! However I am sure the true boss of the house wold make sure that the fun would not be worth the repercussions. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I would say where's the fun in that! However I am sure the true boss of the house wold make sure that the fun would not be worth the repercussions. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

My wife rarely lets me enjoy those moments either.

A group of us hunted a reserve in southern OK a few years back. One of the group killed a pretty good hog. When we skinned the hog we found green pus pockets all over the hog. Yup, snake bites. Seems when the hogs run across a snake they start eating with no concern for which end they bite first. The snake fangs penetrate the skin but cannot get thru the fat to the muscle. Therefore, no effect on the hog.

Hmmm....maybe a pair from Cabela's then!

So just work on getting very fat legs! Noz and I just saved you some money.

Archived