SASS Wire Forum

357 fun....who woulda thunk it

ORNERY OAF

Saw my wifes pretty lil Ruger 6-guns, stainless matching set of vaqueros, sitting in the safe next to some cowboy 38 loads...figured i would blow the dust off one and grabbed it...also spotted one of the 357 mag 158g SJHP boxes...hmm why not, been a while. I went out to my steels, loaded the cylinder, front sight- Bang!... Smile, Bang,Smile and so on........always shooting my 45acp(duty gun) and my 44-40 and 45colt, i actually forgot what a real ARSE kicker the 357 mag is! Full house loads ring those steels like a hammer! Some how slipped my mind with those 38 cowboy loads she shoots just how much of a cooool gun those are wiith full loads...i know, you all know this but it was kinda lika an " oh ya, 357 mag huh?" Moment..shot almost the whole box and had a hoot....simple things i guess....

I can see that broad and toothy grin in your words!

Well done, sonds like you had a great time!

Sometimes my mind goes places it shouldn't.

Oaf - shot my WIFE'S guns

Linn - I can see that BROAD

and my mind says, "Damn Linn, you takin' your life in your hands."

Then I read the rest of it. Oh. Never mind. :P

I've only had one .357, a ruger speed six. The thing that always impressed me the most about it, was how that gun was the loudest pistol on the face of the planet.

I got up one morning and found a possum in the trash, grabbed that pistol outa the truck and fired a couple rounds without thinkin, and my ears were still ringing when I got to work an hour later.

Fun little gun/caliber, but man it was loud!

I love the 357 mag. I have several of them in both single action and double action. :)

I've only had one .357, a ruger speed six. The thing that always impressed me the most about it, was how that gun was the loudest pistol on the face of the planet.

I got up one morning and found a possum in the trash, grabbed that pistol outa the truck and fired a couple rounds without thinkin, and my ears were still ringing when I got to work an hour later.

Fun little gun/caliber, but man it was loud!

I had a racoon raiding my trash one night too. Grabbed a .22LR handgun and stepped onto the back porch about 02:00 hours. One shot dispatched said racoon, but under the aluminum awning at that time of night, it sounded more loke a 30-06 going off. :wacko:

My main house gun is a S&W Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel. I have it loaded with Hornady Critical defense loads in .357. Whenever I shoot full loads out of it I think the same thing..Oh Yea! .357!!! What a round! :D Rye

Howdy,

Sometime read up on the development of the 357.

They were a very big deal when they came out.

And eight inch barrels were the norm, for good reason.

Short barrel and magnum equals pain.

Best

CR

My main house gun is a S&W Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel. I have it loaded with Hornady Critical defense loads in .357. Whenever I shoot full loads out of it I think the same thing..Oh Yea! .357!!! What a round! :D Rye

Thassa barker, ain't it?

SW19.jpg

Thassa barker, ain't it?

SW19.jpg

Yes it is indeed!!! ;) Nice gun!

I bought a Ruger GP100 years ago in .357. What a cannon! And accurate! Then I bought my .44 Mag Blackhawk. Kinda tamed the .357 for me. I much prefer to shoot the .357 now and may pop a deer with it in the fall with some handloads.

4" GP-100 here. I use it in IDPA when I feel peckish. I have 600 rounds of 158gr JHP that it doesn't care for (came with the gun). Shoots 6" high at 10 yards with that ammo, dead on with 125gr JHPs.

Before I heard of CAS, I ad .357s in S&W 686, GP-100, Dan Wesson, Contender and a very pretty Python.

I live in NC. A .357 will bring down every bit of game in my state except birds and black bear. It might kill a bear, but I would not try it unless backed into a corner.

My Ruger Speed-Six is the 2 3/4 inch barrel. Oh boy does it bark with full mag loads. For house security it's loaded with 38 Spcl+P

hydra shocks. My Blackhawk is 7 1/2 inch and is a nice hunting gun. Steady and accurate. My S&W M-19 service revolver has taken several woodchucks with mag's and isn't hard to control. Then I also use a matched pair of Uberti 357's and a Win M-92 in 357 for SASS. The 357 round can be loaded down to near mouse farts, or up to take deer and if using heavy solid bullits has taken bear. Not my first choice for bear, but when it's all you got, dont shoot at the head!

Archived