SASS Wire Forum

Pulling the trigger to drop the hammer at the loading table

I haven't seen very many people stand still when they're being shot at.

I was responding to Madd Mike post being able to shoot 24shots ( a typical 10x10x 4 cowboy stage) from four firearms in sub 20 seconds.

I pressumed he was referring to two holstered revolvers, and a staged rifle and shotgun. Good shooting if you can do all that in sub 20seconds and be moving all the time.

My thoughts would be to move to cover if at all possible and then start return fire.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rack my rifle a couple of times at the loading table showing empty, then pull the trigger allowing the hammer to fall. It's not dry-firing, it's not illegal, and,sorry Miles, it's not stupid.

I have never encountered a club having a rule against this practice.

+2

I rack my rifle a couple of times at the loading table showing empty, then pull the trigger allowing the hammer to fall. It's not dry-firing, it's not illegal, and,sorry Miles, it's not stupid.

I have never encountered a club having a rule against this practice.

As usual I didn't read the OP correctly. Happens to be a flaw in my character, (which is the ONLY one I may add :lol: ) I though we were talking about revolvers here not rifles. I imagined someone dropping the hammer down by pulling the trigger on a revolver, not safe in my opinion. I pull the trigger occasionally also on my rifle. Sorry my bad :blush: Rye

As usual I didn't read the OP correctly. Happens to be a flaw in my character, (which is the ONLY one I may add :lol: ) I though we were talking about revolvers here not rifles. I imagined someone dropping the hammer down by pulling the trigger on a revolver, not safe in my opinion. I pull the trigger occasionally also on my rifle. Sorry my bad :blush: Rye

http://youtu.be/V3FnpaWQJO0

Can you explain why dropping the hammer by pulling the trigger on an unloaded revolver is not safe while doing the same on an unloaded rifle is safe? Both would seem to be safe to me. I do not do it, but there are a lot more accidents waiting to happen to worry about.

Not speaking for the man, but I believe he means that when you are loading a colt-style revolver at the loading table, you put the gun on halfcock, load your rounds, and then ease the hammer down since the revolver is loaded.

On loading the rifle, you can drop the hammer since it is unloaded.

Not speaking for the man, but I believe he means that when you are loading a colt-style revolver at the loading table, you put the gun on halfcock, load your rounds, and then ease the hammer down since the revolver is loaded.

I would agree, with dropping the hammer by only pulling the trigger on a loaded revolver is bad. I have seen several colt style shooters have ADs at the loading table when their fingers slipped off their hammers and a live round was in the wrong hole in cylinders. Scares the bejesus out of you if you are standing next to them.

I would agree, with dropping the hammer by only pulling the trigger on a loaded revolver is bad. I have seen several colt style shooters have ADs at the loading table when their fingers slipped off their hammers and a live round was in the wrong hole in cylinders. Scares the bejesus out of you if you are standing next to them.

In addition to,

If the pistol muzzle is pointed generally upwards, which probably is more likely that not, and it discharges,,, the bullet may very well clear the safety berm and sail off the shooting range property,,, towards residencial/commercial properties,,, and that could shut the whole shooting range down, Nothing like finding a bullet hole in your sliding glass kichen door window and bullet laying on the floor or stuck in the opposite wall,,, with shooting range over yonder and an event occuring same day as the .bullet was found.

In addition to,

If the pistol muzzle is pointed generally upwards, which probably is more likely that not, and it discharges,,, the bullet may very well clear the safety berm and sail off the shooting range property,,, towards residencial/commercial properties,,, and that could shut the whole shooting range down, Nothing like finding a bullet hole in your sliding glass kichen door window and bullet laying on the floor or stuck in the opposite wall,,, with shooting range over yonder and an event occuring same day as the .bullet was found.

I would generally believe that a colt gun style gun being loaded and the hammer being dropped would be done with the gun pointed downward. At least that is how my wrists work. The three ADs at the loading table I have witnessed have put bullets in the loading table and into side berms.

I pull the trigger to drop the hammer fully on my rifle before loading. Because I did go to the line once with my '73 in the safety notch. Some pards I know have had that safety notch eliminated for that reason. I don't see why the hammer being in the safety notch of a rifle that doesn't have a round in the chamber is a problem, but, them's the rules and I abide by them. (This is just slightly opened, and not at half cock), I wouldn't ever do it at the loading table with rounds in the gun. Just me.

I don't see the point in pulling the trigger to drop the hammer of a pistol. But then, my Rugers are set up so the hammer doesn't need to be pulled back to load. Just open the loading gate and roll the cylinder.

As for my Remington and Colt and Ruger BP guns, they have to be in half-cock to load, brought back to full cock and then lowered. I wouldn't do it with a loaded gun. Just me.

Thanks that's exactly what I mean. If I run for POTUS you can be my press secretary!! :lol: Rye

I haven't shot all kinds of rifles, but in all that I have shot, you can tell when the hammer has been eased down on a loaded chamber. It doesn't sit flush. So I reject the notion that you can't tell for sure if it's unloaded without dry firing. This is pretty much a Ginger or Mary Ann argument where one smart alec (a dry firer) picks Mrs Howell. I have noticed that dry firers also tend to be the people who think it's no big deal to replace a firing pin or a spring. I've always wondered if that confidence made them willing to dry fire, or if all the dry firing necessitated them learning how to do those basic gun repairs.

My set of Rugers have been dry fired OVER 1.5 Million cycles each. Yep, thats 1,500,000 cycles EACH.

Never had a broken firing pin yet and always used empty cylinders.

I got lots of experience cocking a pistol but I ain't got any experience in replacing broken firing pins.

..........Widder

Archived