SASS Wire Forum

A decent gun article in Boston Globe

While I winced here and there, overall a decent gun article without the usual anti-gun venom on the front page of Boston's primary newspaper.

And with but a few exceptions, some decent comments at the end. And a few wackos, as usual - but not as many as usual.

Maybe there is hope for my corner of the universe.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/06/21/kids-are-getting-fired-about-gun-sports/SpoCy6aTB7h3DSckB2AqQN/story.html

LL

Very B) article.

While reading it, I again had the thought that a "bad apple" could kill an innocent person with a bat, hard ball, bow/arrow, golf club...or a myriad of other items used in acceptable sports.

There is too much attacking the implement or result and not the cause, which is mental instability, poor training, poor parenting...

It is the same with so many problems in our society. We throw money at the poor rather than educating or training them to become self-sufficient. My disconnect with this is why I did not complete my first major and dropped out of college as a second-semester junior the first time around. I was a Social Welfare major starting in 1967. (I finally found Accounting and was able to get a BS degree.)

Sigh! When will the PTB listen to real solutions? I hope it is in my lifetime.

I have hope for our country in the form of my great (in both meanings of the word) niece, who I think will go far. She already has Rahm Emmanuel concerned (or at least aware) that she wants his job, was offered scholarships to every school she applied to, and chose UCLA. I think her major will be political science. I hope I or a friend living closer to her can introduce her to CAS. We need youth on our side!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Very B) article.

While reading it, I again had the thought that a "bad apple" could kill an innocent person with a bat, hard ball, bow/arrow, golf club...or a myriad of other items used in acceptable sports.

There is too much attacking the implement or result and not the cause, which is mental instability, poor training, poor parenting...

It is the same with so many problems in our society. We throw money at the poor rather than educating or training them to become self-sufficient. My disconnect with this is why I did not complete my first major and dropped out of college as a second-semester junior the first time around. I was a Social Welfare major starting in 1967. (I finally found Accounting and was able to get a BS degree.)

Sigh! When will the PTB listen to real solutions? I hope it is in my lifetime.

I have hope for our country in the form of my great (in both meanings of the word) niece, who I think will go far. She already has Rahm Emmanuel concerned (or at least aware) that she wants his job, was offered scholarships to every school she applied to, and chose UCLA. I think her major will be political science. I hope I or a friend living closer to her can introduce her to CAS. We need youth on our side!

Regards,

Allie Mo

That mentality has been around for quite a while:

For men of understanding do not say that the sword is to blame for murder, nor wine for drunkenness, nor strength for outrage, nor courage for foolhardiness, but they lay the blame on those who make an improper use of the gifts which have been bestowed upon them by God, and punish them accordingly. (St. John Chrysostom)

Note the author.

That mentality has been around for quite a while:

For men of understanding do not say that the sword is to blame for murder, nor wine for drunkenness, nor strength for outrage, nor courage for foolhardiness, but they lay the blame on those who make an improper use of the gifts which have been bestowed upon them by God, and punish them accordingly. (St. John Chrysostom)

Note the author.

Like!

Now, this is one of the stupidest, most-likely-to-be-used-out-of-context statements I've ever seen, and it was said by a shooting coach.

>“Shooting is very cerebral,” Winters says. “A lot of times, the kids don’t even know they’ve pulled the trigger.”<

"These kids don't even know they pulled the trigger"? Can you feed the antis any more lines?

The problem is that even with a great pro-gun article someone will take something out of context and make it sound bad. It happens all the time and will never stop as long as journalists and lobbyists fail to tell the whole facts.

Archived