SASS Wire Forum

A question for you old Navy salts.

Becoming Commodore is not a promotion in the same sense as going from, say, Commander to Captain. It is a positional title for senior Captains holding what might otherwise be a one-star's job. Compare it to going from battalion Sergeant Major to Brigade Sergeant Major. You don't go up in rank, but you have a higher position with more responsibility.

One that always confused me, and in fact I never figured it out until AFTER I left the navy, is the difference between a Commander and a Commanding Officer. A Commanding Officer is in charge of a ship, for example, while a Commander is in charge of a Fleet or Force, or a Station, or any other such command with multiple other commands under it. Not to be confused with the RANK of Commander, which can be a Commanding Officer but not a Commander. A Commander is too junior to be a Commander. Only a Captain or Admiral can be a Commander.

Got it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fotation device. Har! Maybe for a hampster.

Well Bob, I've never jumped out of anything depending on some thin nylon to save me, but in boot camp we had to jump into the pool, kick off our dungaree trousers, and use our "dixie cups" to help us keep afloat. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. we also had to take the discarded dungarees, knot the legs at the ankle, sling them over our heads, and fill them with air and use them as floatation devices. Guess I'mm giving away my age, but we also had to dive into a pool with burning oil on it, and swim under it.

Well Bob, I've never jumped out of anything depending on some thin nylon to save me, but in boot camp we had to jump into the pool, kick off our dungaree trousers, and use our "dixie cups" to help us keep afloat. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. we also had to take the discarded dungarees, knot the legs at the ankle, sling them over our heads, and fill them with air and use them as floatation devices. Guess I'mm giving away my age, but we also had to dive into a pool with burning oil on it, and swim under it.

The Army called that "drown proofing."

Somewhere in there you took off your boots and looped the laces around your neck too. I usually tried to drown somewhere between gettin my boots off and tying the legs of my pants together.

And God help you if you dropped the rubber duck. (Rubber rifle)

Ah, yes! The Dixie cups.

Their attraction is pure and simple. Forget about flotation devices, sun protection easy recognizability and all that happy horse crap.

Chicks dig 'em! That's right, I don't know how many of those things I gave away in my four years in lieu of cash. They could buy you a round of drinks, food, "companionship" and other earthly delights back forty some odd years ago! :D

I will concede that a dixie cup hat is a marginally more efficient flotation device than a steel pot. :lol:

Ah, yes! The Dixie cups.

Their attraction is pure and simple. Forget about flotation devices, sun protection easy recognizability and all that happy horse crap.

Chicks dig 'em! That's right, I don't know how many of those things I gave away in my four years in lieu of cash. They could buy you a round of drinks, food, "companionship" and other earthly delights back forty some odd years ago! :D

Har. You oughta see what a green beret will get ya. ;)

I will concede that a dixie cup hat is a marginally more efficient flotation device than a steel pot. :lol:

Can't cook or shave in a whitehat. Can't use it as a seat either.

If you happen to get pizza sauce or grass stains, whatever on a steel helmet you can just wipe it off.

there is something about "Shooting anything. Diesel trucks. Tractors. Horses. Dogs." that demands that one take note of the punctuation. :blink:

There have been times when diesel trucks and tractors made the list of things I was interested in shooting.

Ahhh, two weeks of penicillin? :o

A Teams have the best medics in the service. ;)

I bet a steel pot would hold more adult beverages than a dixie cup would.

True - but I would store my adult beverages in the mini-fridge we had in the shop. Wonderful stuff that electricity.

Didn't need a steel pot or a white hat there.... except the white hat when folded made a better pillow, or unfolded could be pulled down over the eyes to block out the light.

Archived