SASS Wire Forum

How to Make Current Dresses/Blouses Ok for B-Western?

Painted Filly

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Folks,

The last time I heard the composition of the ROC, there were no ladies. There are now lady members of the WB. However, Tex is a member of the ROC and his wife, Cat, will most likely be consulted about anything pertaining to costuming.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I was including the WB too..... :P:P

We have a couple in GA who both shoot B Western, Blackhawk Henry and Dixie Pistols. Dixie has been pretty inventive taking regular shirts and making them B Western....for both herself and Blackhawk Henry. I've not seen her on the wire but Blackhawk Henry is one from time to time. I'm sure she would be a wealth of information on the topic.

Kajun

The ROC made a decision on this issue at today's EoT meeting:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY - BW-STYLE DRESSES ARE ALLOWED for competitors in the LADIES "B" WESTERN CATEGORY.

This has been ruled CLARIFICATION of an oversight.

That decision was unanimously approved by the Territorial Governors at the TG meeting immediately following.

In my opinion this is by far the worse decision that the ROC has ever made.

You have made an decision without even explaining what you mean by a B-Western style dress. I can hear it now. "I don't have to comply with all the requirements of a shirt because I'm not wearing a shirt". I'm wearing a dress!

We already have enough problems with men having snaps put on a plaid work shirt and thinking it comply's with the rules.

I thought the ruling about concho's on boots making them acceptable was bad. But in my opinion this exceeds that ruling by a factor of 10.

Perhaps the category should be eliminated since it has become so subjective anyhow.

The camel's nose is now inside the tent.

You can bet I will be standing on the "Fancy and Flashy" portion of the requirements for B-Western when making decisions on if a costume meets the requirements for a shooter to participate in the category a lot more.

WHY?

Research was done on the subject and experts on the subject were consulted before it was presented to the ROC.

...or are you disappointed that we didn't also include the MEN in that ruling?

WHY?

Research was done on the subject and experts on the subject were consulted before it was presented to the ROC.

...or are you disappointed that we didn't also include the MEN in that ruling?

That last sentence was uncalled for no matter who it was directed towards.

Thank you Palewolf! I appreciate the work of you and the rest of the TG's. Now I guess I just need to start sewing :)

Painted Filly

This cowgirl looks happy! Evans,+Dale+(Utah)_01.jpg

Please tell me how you are going to write up the rules for this outfit in the rule book.

I see no snaps, no smiley pockets, no shield with piping or are you just going to say that you will know it when you see it.

Dresses are now allowed in B Western. Does this mean the bodice of the dress has to meet with the requirements of the B Western Shirts? Does it still mean that you must use the accessories as outline in the current rule? The pictures above are lovely examples but not everyone can wear ones like that!!

Please tell me how you are going to write up the rules for this outfit in the rule book.

I see no snaps, no smiley pockets, no shield with piping or are you just going to say that you will know it when you see it.

I see fringe and a different colored yoke. That meets the requirement.

Costuming: Shirts must be of the “B” Western style with snap buttons or any of the

following: “Smiley Pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes.

Shield shirts are also allowed if the shield/bib has piping or embroidery.

Clothing: Shirts must be of the B–Western style with snap buttons or any of the

following: “smiley pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored

yokes. Shield shirts are also allowed if they have piping or embroidery. Pants

must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt

loops, and/or piping or fringe. Pants must be worn with a belt. Ladies may wear

skirts or split riding skirts. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw,

or palm leaf hats. Hats must be worn. Boots are required and must be of

traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with non-grip

enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles. Lace-up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

Western spurs with rowels and spur straps are required for men.

Yes, Branchwater, they look great and would be totally acceptable. But the rules need to "clarify" this needs to be what is expected. Even now, we have people who don't follow the rules for the SHIRTS, and I would like to be sure the dresses don't get into that mix.

Boy, I wouldn't want to try and shoot with all the red fringe hanging down on the green dress!!!!! I can see it now mixed into my shotgun!!!!! :blink:

Sounds reasonable, Branchwater. Thank you for the pictures, they are great. This link leads to a collage of them, but not every one on here would be acceptable:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Dale+Eveans+western+dresses&qpvt=Dale+Eveans+western+dresses&FORM=IGRE

if people are wearing shirts that are not correct, call them on it!

show them the rules and point out why they're wrong, if they keep it up, then before the match go over the rules again, and most of all treat everyone fairly...

In my opinion, the point on flashy and fancy should be the first thing mentioned on BW costuming. After all, that is the spirit of BW, again, in my opinion. That way someone couldn't just read 'snap shirt' and stop reading thinking a plain boring snap front shirt was acceptable.

“B” WESTERN

• Any main match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters’ discretion.
• Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess,
Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).
• May use any SASS–legal shotgun.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.
• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried
below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be embellished (fancy
stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of the “Double Strong-Side”
type. No crossdraw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward configurations allowed.
• Costuming: Shirts must be of the “B” Western style with snap buttons or any of the
following: “Smiley Pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes.
Shield shirts are also allowed if the shield/bib has piping or embroidery.
• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe.
• Pants must be worn with a belt. Ladies may wear skirts or split riding skirts. Suspenders are
not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw, or palm leaf hats. Hats must be worn.
• Boots are required and must be of traditional design and embellished with fancy stitching,
multi-color fancy design, conchos or spots. Soles must be non-grip enhancing (i.e., “NO
Lug”) soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.
• Western Spurs with spur straps are required for men.
• You must choose at least one or more of the following optional items: gloves or gauntlets,
scarves with slides or tied around the neck or bolo tie, coat, vest, chaps or cuffs.
All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy. The “B” Western costuming must be
worn during the entire match and awards ceremony with exception of evening formal
occasions.

The ROC made a decision on this issue at today's EoT meeting:EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY - BW-STYLE DRESSES ARE ALLOWED for competitors in the LADIES "B" WESTERN CATEGORY.This has been ruled CLARIFICATION of an oversight.That decision was unanimously approved by the Territorial Governors at the TG meeting immediately following.

BRAVO!!!!!!! Common sense rules!

Hard to believe that it went this many years without being noticed, challenged, fixed and changed.

But glad it got done.

Wife shoots BW. She might want a dress.

Don't forget that the ROII, page 13, also has this little tidbit:

"John Wayne, spaghetti western and townsperson characters are not allowed".

R kilts ok for men's B western, if they r frilly

I could not resist the voices

once in a while ya just gotta laff!! :P:P :P :P:D:D:D

The ROC is open to suggestions from the self-appointed BW experts here on the WIRE.

...within the following parameters:

BW-STYLE DRESSES ARE LEGAL

DEFINITION/DESCRIPTION

Let's see if you can come up with an easily understood, short amendment to the current rule.

(something better than the shield/bib shirt statement...PLEASE!)

REF: THE OLD CORRAL b-westerns.com

Archived