SASS Wire Forum

How to Make Current Dresses/Blouses Ok for B-Western?

Painted Filly

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://gtjcpictures.shutterfly.com/pictures/666

I don't know how to post pictures here so this is a link to a picture of a dress worn by Dale Evans. It is in the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame.

That kind of outfit would probably win a costume contest BUT it does not comply with the rules of the B-Western Category.

To paraphrase Palewolf.

Don't try to read things into the rules that aren't there.

I sure would be in favor of adding one sentence to the front of each handbook/Manual.

If it doesn't say specifically that you can, then you can't!

If your mama says to you, "Go put on your plaid skirt", you don't come out in a dress. No interpretation needed. Not to mention your mama just might slap you upside the head!!!!

(this was supposed to be a funny, Sorry if it wasn't taken that way)

my mamma wud have slapped me upside that hed iffn I hed come out in eether wun!!!

good grief, it dunt need no interpretation,,,,,, it's ok..... let common sense rule once in a while....

I thought that on more than one rule. Only to find out that what the words read is how it is.

So only going by that.

Like I said. If it is so simple and easy. Why is Palewolf having to clear it up with the ROC.

Al, I would imagine he has to clear it because in the 10 years or so of B Western, the questions has never come up before. Rule says skirt, people just took it as written. Just a thought.

good grief!!!

Skye - you can keep hammering your OPINION all you want, it doesn't change the fact that everyone does not read the rules the way you do.

I know and have spoken to lady B-western shooters about this subject, and they all have dresses that are very BW and worn with a belt, gunbelt, and shotgun belt, you can't tell they are a dress unless you ask or look very closely.

I agree the A line or sack dress may not fit the spirit of BW, but even one of those, if worn with all the accessories of a leading lady is perfectly legal under the rules.

If you want to continue to fight a war of words of your opinion against mine, fine, I have plenty of ammuntion, I was willing to let it go and let the ROC handle it.

good grief!!!

I agree. It's easy to read. Words have meaning.

DId we or did we not just have a big tado about a few word changes in another rule???

In fact it was mainly one word.

You have to go by the written rule. Is that not what we keep hearing.

YES. I think they should be legal. But as written????

The rule as written isn't clear that dresses are allowed, but by the same token, it is not clear that they are not allowed. They are very specific that boots are required, and that moccasins are not allowed. If a dress was not allowed no matter how much in the spirit of BW it was, would it not say so?

The rule as written isn't clear that dresses are allowed, but by the same token, it is not clear that they are not allowed. They are very specific that boots are required, and that moccasins are not allowed. If a dress was not allowed no matter how much in the spirit of BW it was, would it not say so?

It's also very clear the SKIRTS are allowed.

I would have never have even thought about dresses NOT being legal. BUT. Once you read the

rules again??

I would say not. Think it is something they need to change to make it clear they are allowed if that is

what they are thinking.

Rules are written to show what IS allowed.....

If we were to write rules and list everything that ISN'T allowed the rule book would look like the Obamacare bill.

Women fall under the same rules for shirts as the men with the exception that women's shirts can be short sleeve. A dress cannot be a shirt and a shirt, no matter how long, cannot be a dress.

You will find that the B-Western reference to skirts is under the section regarding PANTS. (Proper name is Trousers). This allows the lady 3 choices - Pants or Skirt or Split Skirt. Dresses are not listed as an option.

Good grief people get out your RO-III manual and study it.

Grizzly, why are you getting your panties in a bunch? I was not saying anything to you in over a page. This is not a WAR against anyone, just some civil debate and opinions. I think that we are still allowed to do that. I will wait and see what the rules committee says, and I will honor their decision. Will you?

Then we disagree Al.

Half the time I hear 'if it doesn't say you can, then you can't'

and the other half of the time I hear 'if it doesn't say you can't, then you can'

you can't have it both ways.

Ace - As I read them, the rules are very specific about outlawed items, but less specific about required items as long as they aren't outlawed. Likewise, when something is absolutely required, the rules state it as such with absolute language.

Skye - absolutely I will abide by what the ROC decides, I am insulted that you would insinuate that I would not.

I bowed out two pages ago given that we were at an impasse, but when one viewpoint keeps being pounded as hard fact and not opinion, I won't sit idly by. Why does passionate debate that agrees with you not offend you, but passionate debate that doesn't label one as having panties in a bunch?

There is a difference, Grizz, between a good debate and just plain rude, and you crossed that line with your "war" remark and threat. Not to mention, of course, that YOUR opinion is no better than anyone else's here.

NOW CHILDREN!!!

There is a difference, Grizz, between a good debate and just plain rude, and you crossed that line with your "war" remark and threat. Not to mention, of course, that YOUR opinion is no better than anyone else's here.

Well this thread will be closed soon. Is not a debate a war of words? That crossed the line and your insinuation that I would not abide by the ROC ruling did not?

Please quote to me where I said my opinion was more important than any one elses? I am very careful to state my opinions as such using words like 'as I read it' and the like and not state hard and fast 'this is the way it is' when it is a gray area. I try very hard to see both sides on an issue, I only wish that others did as well.

Nevada Skye, the only one I see being rude on here is you.....

Grizz, back ta tha Saloon and stay there....NOW!

Tascosa, rick rack is a squiggly trim used for decoration on clothing and stuff

Painted Filly, honey if you need any help please shoot me an email and I'll see what I can do for ya! ;)

Children!!! it's bedtime, NOW!!!!!

HI Folks,

The last time I heard the composition of the ROC, there were no ladies. There are now lady members of the WB. However, Tex is a member of the ROC and his wife, Cat, will most likely be consulted about anything pertaining to costuming.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived