SASS Wire Forum

How to Make Current Dresses/Blouses Ok for B-Western?

Painted Filly

Shooter Handbook

RO 2

Interesting the the RO 2 goes into much more detail.

Also, costumes that depict leading role characters in B–Western movies are allowed
as long as the costume is complete with all accessories, but the costuming must still
adhere to the boot, leather, spur, hat, and firearm requirements above. John Wayne,
spaghetti western, and townsperson characters are not acceptable.
Failure to comply will result in a penalty for not adhering to category guidelines. The
first offence is a procedure, the second offence in the same match is a stage
disqualification, and the third offence in the same match is a match disqualification

Would really like to see this paragraph in the SHB Makes for a nice clarification and opens up a few options for dressing like our favourite B-Western leads from the Saturday Matinee Serials.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so too, Dave. Both the books need to be the same. It might also suggest a picture of the person someone is portraying to stop any confusion. I have seen this done at the EOT Costume Contests, and it works out very well.

I am not asking for anything special. I was just trying to make what I have legal. If dresses are not legal dresses will not be worn. I did not realize they were not legal. They were not specifically stated either way so did not know. I am trying not to have to buy or make all new stuff right away. Trying to get by for a short while on a budget.

I am greatful that I do have a few bulldogs in my corner though. thanks!!!! :)

Painted Filly

But, of course, Grizz, not in B Western!!!! :o "Ladies may wear skirts or split riding skirts". AND no suspenders!!! ;)

Come and join the fun, Filly. It doesn't have to be expensive, and you can be as fancy as you want!!! I would recommend being careful of fringe on the front of your shirt, it can get caught up in your long guns. Do you sew??? Do you know about the hot fix setter for the iron on type of rhinestones??? I mailed one to Miss Ruby in NZ, they are so easy and fun to use.

I agree that dresses should be legal if binged up in a BW way.

BUT.

Until it says dress and skirts. Have to stay with not legal at this time.

As a dress is not a skirt and it only mentions skirts as legal.

how's this then? take dress, cut it at waist, then Velcro it back together,,, voila!! a skirt and shirt!

I like fringe on shirts. Think it looks cool. Of course I haven't gotten it caught in my rifle yet. :wacko: I've only shot one B-Western match so far and my opinion on fringe could change if that happens. LOL

Cheyenne Culpepper has an interesting idea. Put a big ol' belt over the waist of that dress and who's going to know? (Now don't get excited. I'm just stirring the pot!! ) :rolleyes:

I like fringe on shirts. Think it looks cool. Of course I haven't gotten it caught in my rifle yet. :wacko: I've only shot one B-Western match so far and my opinion on fringe could change if that happens. LOL

Cheyenne Culpepper has an interesting idea. Put a big ol' belt over the waist of that dress and who's going to know? (Now don't get excited. I'm just stirring the pot!! ) :rolleyes:

I wore a fringed shirt at a match ONE TIME. The fringe caught in the hammer of my pistol and almost pulled it out of the holster!

The scarf around your neck will make a perfect mask when the wind blows.

I didn't put fringe down the sleeves. Just on the yolks and over the shoulders. Don't think it is long enough to get into the rifle action. Always tuck those scarf ends into your shirt between the snaps when you go to the loading table.

On the same topic I used to have a concho on the side of my shotgun stock. I got the string from my ear plug wound around it while shooting and couldn't put the gun down without pulling the plug out of my ear. NOT a good thing!! LOL Lesson learned. No more conchos on the stock and I always tie the ear plugs string behind my head.

I've pulled my ear plugs out before....usually when shooting the shotgun!!! And remember, if you have stampede strings on your hat to tuck those in too. So much to remember.........................

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 22, 2014 - Insulting
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 22, 2014 - Insulting

You've got a bee in your bonnet on this one don't you Skye. You tried to get Sonora out of B Western at Eldorado and Yuma. You were told at Eldorado (by Rattler John your TG and TA Chance) and at Yuma by Hawkeye Sam (also a Black Badge) that Sonora Blaze was dressed B Western. She has shot and been judged by Happy Jack, Copper Queen, Cat Ballou, Tex, Frederick Jackson Turner and ..... many others we have been fortunate to shoot with and be judged by in the last 8 years.

Since you can't seem to get over this why don't you become the TG and take it to the convention to "clarify" it for you. It continues to amaze me that some who say they love CAS go to such lengths over such petty controversy. A "skirt" or a "dress"

Blazen Vaquero

P.S. She has no idea of this "controversy". She participates for the joy and friendships made, not this kind of stuff. We will be at EOT having the time of our lives. :P

I wassa wundering,,,, like I said, skirt, dress, to a guy pretty much the same thing, I figure Cat ought to have a good handle on it as well...

btw, next time it's hot, I'll ware cut offs uner my chinks, they're pants and I'll ware a belt, dusn't say thay gotta be LONG pants...

btw, next time it's hot, I'll ware cut offs uner my chinks, they're pants and I'll ware a belt, dusn't say thay gotta be LONG pants...

CC, just as long as they are Jeans, ranch pants or whatever else is allowed and they are worn with a belt :D :D :D

I make no promises on that front, the rules don't forbid men to wear dresses, in fact I've seen quite a few pictures of that very thing at SASS shoots.

Do we have a special cross dressing category now??

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 22, 2014 - Reply to insult.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 22, 2014 - Reply to insult.

First off, Blazen Vaquero, you need to get your facts straight before you accuse anyone of doing anything. I said nothing to anyone at Yuma to get Sonora "out" of B Western nor did I ever speak to Hawkeye Sam (I don't even know who he is) as you posted, and you can ask him. seems you don't even know what you are talking about. There are others who shoot B Western and don't appreciate bending of the rules. Second, this is about whether a dress can be made legal, in reply to a question, nothing to do with you and your little problem. Third, if you have a problem, this public forum is not the place to attack someone, especially when you are wrong and not telling the truth. Yes, I think the rules should be followed, and I spoke my piece like an adult to Sonora's face to make sure she DID NOT run into trouble on Match Day, and then let it go just like i have done here.( I never spoke to TA Chance, btw, about this at all) Too bad you can't do the same. And just because a cowboy is a TG doesn't mean he knows the B Western dress rules for women. I and Rattler have had some serious discussions on this.

I can also make a list of people I have shot with over time, but it has nothing to do with this topic, I don't need to go around and be a name dropper to try and prove anything. Oh, and I have asked several TGs to please ask to clarify our rules so instances like this don't happen when they attend the TG meetings. They don't seem to care to do so. I guess they all figure that people ought to be able to read the Dress Rules, since they are, actually, stated pretty simply and clearly. Odd, how there was no "controversy" until some started breaking the rules. Nor do I find purposely breaking the rules as petty. I find it sad.

'

Have seen Sonora many times. Love her outfits. But don't recall every seeing

her in a dress.

And the rules say SKIRT. Not DRESS. One is two piece, one is one piece.

They are not the same thing. If they want to allow dresses. Great. Say so.

Guess the guys instead of wearing pants and shirt. Can wear a jump suit, with a

belt.

And there are MANY TG's that don't know the rules. MANY. So just because someone

allows it. Don't make it legal.

And IF it is SO CLEAR. They why is PaleWolf having to get with the ROC to get a clarification on it.

I am fine with making dresses legal for lady's in BW. But if they want to make them legal.

They need to say so in the rule book.

Al, I just think that men get a bit confused about ladies clothing!!! :D This is a new question for them I think. It will be interesting to see the response.

https://gtjcpictures.shutterfly.com/pictures/666

I don't know how to post pictures here so this is a link to a picture of a dress worn by Dale Evans. It is in the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame.

Al, I just think that men get a bit confused about ladies clothing!!! :D This is a new question for them I think. It will be interesting to see the response.

I think they will see it as an error/omission and change the wording in the rule book to include dresses.

https://gtjcpictures.shutterfly.com/pictures/666

I don't know how to post pictures here so this is a link to a picture of a dress worn by Dale Evans. It is in the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame.

Yes. BUT. There are lots of thing worn in BW movies that are not legal in BW category.

Just because someone wore it. Does not make it legal.

But like I said above. I think dresses should be added to the wording in the rule book if they are

to be allowed.

Hope they change it.

Do they usually wait until the Convention to change the rules? Generally speaking. Because that is generally when I get in touch with my TG's about stuff. I know there is a lot going on with the open long guns right now, so I don't mean that.

I did not see it in person. Surely would like to visit that place someday though. I don't think that is a bolero. I think it's just stitching on the dress. Just wondering, are there any ladies on the ROC Committee?

I did not see it in person. Surely would like to visit that place someday though. I don't think that is a bolero. I think it's just stitching on the dress. Just wondering, are there any ladies on the ROC Committee?

I don't know, but I"m betting that most of them have wives to advise them on such matters. And I know at least one of those wives is a very talented seamstress...

I surely hope there are some ladies on the ROC committee. If not, then I hope they ask for some input from the ladies.

I think you are right about the stitching on the dress.

as I recall Misty and Kate are on the committee now....

besides, I dun give ya tha rite answer...

I think most guys would think a skirt is simply something other than pants. I'd bet they never even considered the difference between a skirt (meaning a specific article of clothing) and a skirt (meaning the bottom half of a dress.).

If that is so then they will have to decide the intent of the rule when it was written. Probably have to make clarifications to the rule and even throw in a glossary of terms just to be sure there is no confusion. 👗 😉

is someone REALLY arguing over the difference between a dress and a skirt? as Phantom wud say..... OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as the song goes,,, "Let it go, let it go....."

good grief, it dunt need no interpretation,,,,,, it's ok..... let common sense rule once in a while....

Archived