SASS Wire Forum

How to Make Current Dresses/Blouses Ok for B-Western?

Painted Filly

How do I make any of my current dresses work for B-Western? What kinds of things would I need to add. I know will depend on the dress but generally what kinds of things would make a dress acceptable. such as fringe along the bottom? changing buttons to snaps. Also same questions for my blouses.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Painted Filly

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really, really wish Belle Alley was still in business.

That was an absolute wealth of information on the subject!

HI Painted Filly,

Fringe is good. Patterns using soutache, rhinestones, or appliques work. Google

Here is a photo of Queen of bling with white soutache on her skirt. It comes in many colors. Look here. https://www.google.com/#q=soutache+braid&tbm=shop

wrfanniemostly1672.jpg

Alpine Lil with star appliqués.

wrcostcontest1684.jpg

Regards,

Allie

I found some western style blouses at Tractor Supply Store for under $20. Some are short sleeve plaid and some are long sleeve solid colors. They have snaps and front and back yolks. I'm adding machine embroidery and fringe and they are looking pretty good.

I'm thinking that most of the skirts I already have are OK. I don't think they have to be short or be adorned with anything. (Allie, is this correct?) Also, you can shoot in jeans. Woo Hoo!!

BTW, are you changing to B Western?

yu jus kant be purdier then me tho... :o:o .. lollllllll :P:P:D:D :D

Filly, I don't believe you can wear a "dress". The Rules call for a B Western shirt or a Bib Shirt. The Shirt can have buttons or snaps, and then needs some of the additional requirements, such a piping, fringe, enbroidary, contrasting yokes, rhinestones, etc. etc. The more flashyi the better!! Have fun. The bib shirt requires at least some piping. or embrodiary on the bib part. You can have long or short sleeves. The skirt/split skirt can be plain, but I like some flash to it too. Remember, just because something was worn in a B Western movie/show does not make it legal for our Shooting Category. This is in honor of our singing cowboys like Roy Rogers, etc. Also, it requires you to dress B Western at all events, except for the Formal Banquets.

I understand some ladies are competent with a sewing machine, unlike myself, and can make yokes and cuffs to put onto existing shirts. Gimme a paint brush and I can paint on them, or a rhinestone setter (the hot ones) and the jewels and I can do that!!!! But sewing machines scare me!!!!!!!

a properly adorn dress wud werk just fine...... short, off course... :o:o:P:D

hoo sed I twernt impressed,,,,,,

Shooter Handbook

“B” WESTERN

• Any main match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters’ discretion.
• Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess,
Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).
• May use any SASS–legal shotgun.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.
• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried
below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be embellished (fancy
stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of the “Double Strong-Side”
type. No crossdraw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward configurations allowed.
• Costuming: Shirts must be of the “B” Western style with snap buttons or any of the
following: “Smiley Pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes.
Shield shirts are also allowed if the shield/bib has piping or embroidery.
• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe.
• Pants must be worn with a belt. Ladies may wear skirts or split riding skirts. Suspenders are
not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw, or palm leaf hats. Hats must be worn.
• Boots are required and must be of traditional design and embellished with fancy stitching,
multi-color fancy design, conchos or spots. Soles must be non-grip enhancing (i.e., “NO
Lug”) soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.
• Western Spurs with spur straps are required for men.
• You must choose at least one or more of the following optional items: gloves or gauntlets,
scarves with slides or tied around the neck or bolo tie, coat, vest, chaps or cuffs.
• All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy. The “B” Western costuming must be
worn during the entire match and awards ceremony with exception of evening formal
occasions.

RO 2

”B” WESTERN CATEGORY
The “B” Western Category has unique clothing, firearms, and shooting requirements.
The RO should be familiar with the following requirements:
• Revolvers: All SASS–legal revolvers are allowed.
• Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (i.e.
Burgess, Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).
• Shotguns: All SASS–legal shotguns
• Ammunition: All SASS–legal ammunition is allowed
• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolvers must be
carried below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be
embellished (fancy stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of
the “double strong side” type. No cross-draw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward
configurations allowed.
• Shooting style: Any SASS–legal shooting style may be used at any time,
including Gunfighter.
• Clothing: Shirts must be of the B–Western style with snap buttons or any of the
following: “smiley pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored
yokes. Shield shirts are also allowed if they have piping or embroidery. Pants
must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe. Pants must be worn with a belt. Ladies may wear
skirts or split riding skirts. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw,
or palm leaf hats. Hats must be worn. Boots are required and must be of
traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with non-grip
enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles. Lace-up boots and moccasins are not allowed.
Western spurs with rowels and spur straps are required for men. COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING™
SASS Range Officer Training Course
~13~
Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2014
RO II Version 19
You must choose at least one or more of the following optional items: gloves or
gauntlets, scarves with slides or tied around the neck or bolo tie, coat, vest, chaps, or
cuffs.
All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy. The B–Western costuming must be
worn during the entire match and awards ceremony with exception of evening formal
occasions.
Also, costumes that depict leading role characters in B–Western movies are allowed
as long as the costume is complete with all accessories, but the costuming must still
adhere to the boot, leather, spur, hat, and firearm requirements above. John Wayne,
spaghetti western, and townsperson characters are not acceptable.
Failure to comply will result in a penalty for not adhering to category guidelines. The
first offence is a procedure, the second offence in the same match is a stage
disqualification, and the third offence in the same match is a match disqualification.

Interesting the the RO 2 goes into much more detail.

i see from these rules that my barefoot wisconsin friends are in violation , yet one must ponder a barefoot girl - and then there is that northern winter with the freedom of our very small window of warmth that makes them kick off their boots and kick up their heals , old as i am i like seein the girls have fun while participating in the "spirit of the game" which IS what its all about , right ?

Dresses do NOT comply with the rules of B-Western.

Women shirt requirements are the same as for the men EXCEPT the women may wear short sleeves

Women pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt

loops, and/or piping or fringe (The same as men). INSTEAD of pants women may wear split riding skirts or skirts.

Pants must be worn with a belt.

Contrary to beliefs by some, a fancy vest over a tank top does not comply with the rules of B-Western costuming.

Now I'm curious, PWB?

I can see why you read it that way Ace, but the word 'instead' isn't in there, perhaps it is meant to be implied, I wasn't there when it was written so I don't know, all I can go off of is what is there.

I certainly could not make the call based on that if the 'shirt' that otherwise complied just happened to be sewn to the 'skirt' that otherwise complied to make it a 'dress.'

It would be nice if the SHB that folks are looking at to see what they need matched the RO 2 that is showing match officials what to base a call on...

Grizzly, since you are not a lady, you probably don't understand the difference between a dress and a shirt worn with a skirt. Believe me, all the ladies know the difference. If the rule makers had wanted us to wear dresses, they would have made that distinction. There are certainly many other categories people may shoot in if they don't care for the rules as they are.

PS: Mexican blouses do not qualify either. (IMHO) I would hope that the Match Directors would take note of these rules and be sure they are enforced, particularly at Annual and above matches. Once you open that door, there will be nothing but problems. A B Western shirt is a very particular type of shirt, invented in the 1940's by Jack Weil A look at the vintage and expensive Rockmount Shirts are shinning examples. particularly for the singing cowboys of Hollywood, the good guys in the white hats!!! (well, usually white hats) I had more than one conversation with CC about this, his baby, and would like to keep the category like he envisioned it. A couple of years ago, if I am not mistaken, there was a movement to let ANYONE in any sort of B Western attire shoot this category, but it was turned down. As I said, there are other categories.

Just wondering. It says the costuming must be worn during the entire match and awards ceremony except for formal events. What about walking around vendor area at WR or EOT when you are not shooting? Can you wear the victorian look then?

Just wondering. It says the costuming must be worn during the entire match and awards ceremony except for formal events. What about walking around vendor area at WR or EOT when you are not shooting? Can you wear the victorian look then?

The rules apply when you are shooting or when you participate in awards.

If you are shooting B-Western, then dress B-Western.

If you are participating in awards ceremonies that give out B-Western awards then dress B-Western.

If you are shopping in the Vendor area or changing a tire in the parking lot, the rules do not apply.

As PWB often says..... See the RO-III manual.

Grizzly, dear, since you are not a lady, you probably don't understand the difference between a dress and a shirt worn with a skirt. Believe me, all the ladies know the difference. If the rule makers had wanted us to wear dresses, they would have made that distinction. There are certainly many other categories people may shoot in if they don't care for the rules as they are.

PS: Mexican blouses do not qualify either. I would hope that the Match Directors would take note of these rules and be sure they are enforced, particularly at Annual and above matches. Once you open that door, there will be nothing but problems. A B Western shirt is a very particular type of shirt, invented in the 1940's by Jack Weil A look at the vintage and expensive Rockmount Shirts are shinning examples. particularly for the singing cowboys of Hollywood, the good guys in the white hats!!! (well, usually white hats) I had more than one conversation with CC about this, his baby, and would like to keep the category like he envisioned it. A couple of years ago, if I am not mistaken, there was a movement to let ANYONE in any sort of B Western attire shoot this category, but it was turned down. As I said, there are other categories.

Nevada dearest, since you have noticed the difference, and yes the ladies may know the difference,,, but as you stated, men wrote the rule, how many know the difference or wud have thot of it?

if I were a MD and a lady wore a dress properly adorned in BW "chrome" I can assure you that it wud certainly fly to the moon and back...

Dresses do NOT comply with the rules of B-Western.

Women shirt requirements are the same as for the men EXCEPT the women may wear short sleeves

Women pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt

loops, and/or piping or fringe (The same as men). INSTEAD of pants women may wear split riding skirts or skirts.

Pants must be worn with a belt.

Contrary to beliefs by some, a fancy vest over a tank top does not comply with the rules of B-Western costuming.

It was my understanding that dresses was illegal also. Clearly says skirts.

i see from these rules that my barefoot wisconsin friends are in violation , yet one must ponder a barefoot girl - and then there is that northern winter with the freedom of our very small window of warmth that makes them kick off their boots and kick up their heals , old as i am i like seein the girls have fun while participating in the "spirit of the game" which IS what its all about , right ?

Boots are required in BW.

They can go barefoot and kick up there heels all they want.

But if you sign up BW. Then you better be in BW gear.

if not.

Pick another category.

Cheyenne, Grizz and I are friends, I call him honey or dear often, I did not call him dearest to be a smarty. And if you allow a dress instead of what the rules call for, then you are bending the rules. Fine, except then it adds to the confusion if a lady shoots someplace else where a dress is not allowed as per the rules. Would you let them shoot in leather not approved in the category? Or boots? Or a '73?

I did not say men wrote the rules, I believe there may have been a lady or two involved with them also.

Well Grizz, just make sure you don't wear a dress to our Shoots, and we can all be happy!!!!! :P

I make no promises on that front, the rules don't forbid men to wear dresses, in fact I've seen quite a few pictures of that very thing at SASS shoots.

Archived