SASS Wire Forum

posse size

Hoss

Altho I am young (28) I can't help as much as I'd like to.

I have a disabling illness that has kept me from the sport for 10 years. Recently I have felt a little better and I started competing again. My illness is not a visible one, most people that don't know me very personally are not aware of my illness or the extent of it. I was home-bound for a couple years and my stamina is quickly depleted, bending over and such is not an option.

It is very hard for me to help re-stage targets and pick up brass. I try to help when I can.

Please consider that you may not know the full story about why a cowboy isn't helping as much as you'd like him too.

I have a disabling illness that has kept me from the sport for 10 years. ...

Please consider that you may not know the full story about why a cowboy isn't helping as much as you'd like him too.

Don't believe I have met anyone in the sport who will give someone with a disability a rough time. But, of course, if it's not disclosed, then folks may ask why you're not helping. And explaining once is painful, I'm sure. But, they will get it and remember. They're good that way, and many others. And, scoring is always a sit-down job that almost anyone can do, as long as the data entry folks can read the numbers.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, that does free up a little more help. We do use a LTO, if there are 14 on the posse there are 14 LTO per stage. Everyone knows it up front, the shooter to your right at the LT is the LTO, unless you're the last shooter then it's the shooter to your left. We take it very serious and each revlover is checked, rifle checked for hammer down, do you have shot shells...etc..etc. In fact being one on one we are problably more effective than some I've seen sitting on a stool trying to watch three shooters at the same time while telling Billy Bob how he plans to shoot the stage ;) . 11-15-20 works for me. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

That system works just fine...as long as everyone is aware of how the club/posse wants it done.

What I was mainly referring to is those who seem to brag on the fact that "We don't need no stinkin' LTOs" because we're all fully trained adults with extensive firearms knowledge and experience.

I quit shooting at one club that expressed the same sentiment regarding the UNloading table.

IMO...there should be NO EXCUSE for a shooter to come to the line with a firearm in an unsafe condition (e.g. cocked/loaded).

The primary objection to no LTO is the lack of oversight for illegal equipment, ammo, firearms with no designated person to evaluate and "make the call" BEFORE the shooter hits the stage.

As RM for a few major matches over the past years, I can't count the number of times I've heard, "I've been using this (whatever) for X years and no one ever said anything." when challenged at a State+ level match (up to and including WR & EoT).

Fortunately, illegal equipment penalties are not awarded "backwards"...so a DQ for such is a fairly rare occurrence.

Just my personal observations.

Due to bad weather have shot on 3 person posse for the day. Shooter, TO who was also one spotter. Third posse member used left hand for one spotter and right hand as 3rd spotter to make 3 spotters. Had a ball. Finished very early and that was good because of bad weather getting worse by the minute.

I count 10 minimum:

1 TO

3 Spotters

1 Scorekeepers

1 brass picker-upper

1 ULT

3 loading

Maximum - 21 like PWB

Optimum - 15 (gives time at cart to drink, snack, put up empty cartridges, etc; then go back to w**K; and add a target re-stager)

im in for the 12-15 , i generally have been with a couple that are less able , not hard to pick up the slack and no one cares so much if they are slower ,much more it drags a bit , unless of course you put two together one works the other shoots alternately , then a bigger group works fine , most clubs pay attention to the pace in my experience ,

When we organize à match, we try to set up posses between. 13 to 22, With an objective of 17.

Jef

10-14-12

More than 14 and you have too many that just stand around every stage. Give me 12 every time. Everyone has to work or they stick out like a sore thumb. When you have 16-18, there are ALWAYS about half a dozen doing nothing every stage. So, give me an even dozen every time...

10-14-12

More than 14 and you have too many that just stand around every stage. Give me 12 every time. Everyone has to work or they stick out like a sore thumb. When you have 16-18, there are ALWAYS about half a dozen doing nothing every stage. So, give me an even dozen every time...

There ain't been half a dozen shirkers on ANY posse I've been on. Sure there is a stage or two where folks can switch up duties and take a break, but if folks aren't doing anything for more than a couple if stages, they get invited to help. How often do you see people flat out refuse to relieve a spotter or unload table officer?

Last month at Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild monthly shoot we had 23 shooters and did not want two posses. Knob Creek Drover was the posse leader. He divided the posse into two platoons while one platoon shot the other platoon ran the stages. This resulted not only in stges being executed more quickly and efficiently. It also pressured more particpation. Hats off to Knob Creek Drover

20 or so is a tough number, not enough to split, too many for 1. Maybe the "platoon" system is the way to go.

Archived