SASS Wire Forum

.38 brass case life expectancy?

Brazos Bill Dupree

How many reloads could I expect to get from .38 yellow brass? I have been using it until I see splits or some corrosion but have no idea just how many reloads I should expect. If I am getting near the end of life on them I want to start picking some up before there is a national shortage.

Brazos Bill

Too late. There already is a national shortage. :o Any shortage is going to be a national one, as there are only about 4-6 major brass manufacturers in the US. Winchester, Remington, CCI/Speer/Blazer, and Federal. Some minors (Top Brass, etc) Seems like BHA is a custom stamp made by Starline.

But, case life can run 10 to 30 or 40 loadings at Cowboy load pressure levels. Depends a lot on how much of a case mouth bell you put on, and how hard you crimp. Most of it splits at the mouth, that's from the work hardening that belling then crimping puts on it. .38 Spl would benefit from being annealed every 10 loadings or so, but I've not heard of anyone who is actually doing it, as the supply of range brass is still pretty good for .38 spl.

Nickle plated brass you can only count on about 2/3 as long a life, and in some batches that have been poorly prepared for plating, even worse results. And nickle brass splits often start mid case, and can run all the way up to the mouth. Makes them a very likely case to stick in rifle chambers if they split like that as fired. They also lose their grip on the slug if you get a large split at mouth, which collapses the slug back into the case in the magazine, which causes a jam in toggle link rifles from that short cartridge. Many folks won't shoot nickle loads from their rifles.

Good luck, GJ

Only Been shooting Six Years. But most of what i'm using was used when i got it? Just now getting splits on the nickle stuff, the yellow brass not to many so for.

They have been reloaded a lot. Never have counted?

I have some that has easily been loaded 50-60 times. It gets cleaned the evening after the match, sorted and inspected, then to the Dillon. Usually lose one to three a match to splits.

Also depends on level of reload.

We lose more than what gets thrown out.

BP use doesn't shorten case live IF you take corrective action at the range.

LG

Yer right as always

But

I have BP loads (not brass) that are several years old showing weird signs of weirdness

And yes on the range the brass goes direct into soapy water, and cared for (again) upon arrival back at the ranch

BP can do different things than that super modern other stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is all I ment

My .38 brass lasts until my rifle throws them in front of the stage at a big match. Only rarely do they split. Most of the splits I encounter happen during loading and these days they don't happen that often. I have some individual pieces of brass that are 5 years old.

Oh, my rifle is a Taylor's Commanchero (a 73 tuned by Cody), but it throws brass forward just like a Marlin. Most folks say they have never seen anything like it.

I've got cases that are 10 years old.. still reloadin' 'em..

I check each batch after tumblin' fer splits and cracks..

Get maybe 2-3 per match..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' "Reload'em and Shoot'em til they split" :)

Major match.. I may use newer brass... :blush:

You can occasionally find lots of 2,000, once-fired unplated 38 Special brass on online auction sites, but not like before the current ammo panic. I shoot new or once-fired cases at major matches in my rifle. For local matches I just shoot what I have and take the misses if my rifle jams with a split case. In my revolvers I just shoot brass reloaded multiple times for all matches and don't worry about split cases. They don't affect my shooting and I can remove them at the unloaded bench with moderate effort.

I actually have some cases headstamped WW (Winchester=Western) and some marked Western a lot of my case loss is from loss on the range, but the brass pickers are very good about getting your bras back to you. I have loaded some brass a very long time.

curley

Back in about the 70's one of the gun magazines did a test and IIRC got 146 reloads before splitting with a target load using a 148 hbwc and bullseye. With a full powered load I think they got 56.

Probably brass cases, as I know I get noticeably shorter life out of nickel plated.

I've got cases that are 10 years old.. still reloadin' 'em..

What!!! 10 years OLD!!!

I got some marked "82" for when they were made. A lot I bought new marked "87".

Now I'm not sure how old my S&W brass is as it was discontinued quite a while back.

Archived