SASS Wire Forum

New Rig - Longhunter or Hellfire or ____?

Howdy,

All I've ever used for holsters in CAS is some plain but decent holsters hung on any old leather belt. However, the time may have come for a first class, dedicated rig.

After a lot of virtual window shopping I've narrowed it down—maybe—to two rigs. The Longhunter by Kirkpatrick Leather Company or the Hellfire by El Paso Saddlery.

Anyone have experience and/or opinions on these rigs or care to suggest another?

The holsters would be built for a pair of 3 1/2" Schofield clones in .45 Colt. I shoot a 92 clone rifle in .45 Colt and a 20 gauge side by side. I'm used to my shotgun reloads being centered just above my belt.

These are each competition rigs and I like to be competitive, but I'm not worried about gaining the last nanosecond or winning my state title either.

Besides the rigs themselves, one thing I can't decide on is the front of the belt - whether it should be tapered or not. If you click on the "Build Your Own Rig" link on the Longhunter, for example, you see that they offer it tapered or not in the front. I can't think of advantages or disadvantages to either way. Opinions?

I sure want to get my choices right as it's a pretty penny to spend.

Awful

Thoughts?

I use the Longhunter, and have been super satisfied with it. I would not hesitate to recommend one at all. Mine is tapered. It is very comfortable. I really do not know what the advantage to the taper is.

My reloads are on my shotgun belt, so I really do not need a sled on my pistol belt. The few times that I had tried reloading off of the pistol belt, it seemed like the shotgun shells or shotgun belt got in the way.

I used the Long Hunter ones for years and liked them. Recently ordered from Murphy Custom and waited a long time. Received them Tuesday and they are worth the wait. Cost was slightly above Long hunter. Definitely worth the wait and slight price difference. I got the Old Short Tom model and LOVE them. Superb craftsmanship and although I ordered few pretty basic they are beautiful in my eyes. Persimmon Dan truly custom builds to your wishes. I got the tapered and asked fir extra length on the taper since it will work on my large body and gives extra adjustments for heavier, Winter clothing. Tapered allows me to bend down easily. If skinny I think it might not matter. So, Long Hunters are fine but I suggest you treat yourself.

I have not had a chance to examine the Hellfire BUT the three that were recommended above are really top notch for the competitor within you. I have known a couple of really good shooters who actually use the Longhunter and I can tell you that their holsters were well worn BUT they refused to turn them loose. I think the Longhunter can be had shaped with a kydex liner to hold its specs very close to what they felt like new. Mernickle is right in the fray with at least two or three competition models to choose from, I think they offer metal holster liners on some models??? I have heard no complaints on the Murphy Custom rigs but do not think they offer a metal or kydex skeleton, I think they are shape molded by hot water forming or possibly with rawhide but I am just guessing??? The style of the Old Sort Tom(?) looks like it would flat out smoke but I have no actual experience with them.

I have a Long Hunter rig and I really like it. If you decide to get one you should be well satisfied. Another good supplier is Tombstone Leather. They make a nice rig and prices are good. http://knightsleatherproducts.com/index.html

I currently use the Longhunter B Western holsters on two different holster belts. One is the tapered down and the other is uniform height with the cross over front. I see no difference between them. I have some difficulty drawing from my off hand straight hang holster, with pistol with thumb and forefinger (leaving grip open for other hand) on the std Longhunter holster, wrist does not always want to bend far enough. I recently acquired the B Western holsters which puts them lower, much more comfortable draw. I do not shoot B Western tho. See if you can find someone with both kinds of Longhunter holsters and see how they fit your arms and hands for a draw. Over the years, our family has purchased a lot of Kirkpatrick leather and have been 100% satisfied with their quality, and timely delivery.

I recommend Rod Kibler out of Alto Georgia. All his are custom made.

http://www.rodkiblersaddlery.com/contact.html

I've used the Longhunter rig with the Tequila shotgun belt fer about 10 years...

Served me very well..

The workmanship was great :)

and the delivery time was as promised.. about 3 months.. :)

(can't say that for another vendor I ordered from years ago for my wife '' their 3 months turned into 7 months :angry: )

The past 3 years I've always stopped at Persimmon Dans "Murphy's Gun Leather" vendor booth..

Really admired his work...

He'll ask you a lot of questions of how you wear it.. What you shoot..

I bugged him fer those 3 years askin' him questions also..

I ordered one last summer... Wish I'd started with it..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I didn't have the knowledge ta ask the questions when I started tho :blush:

You know, I never should have put "or ________" in my original post, because I had narrowed it down to two rigs, and now I have a whole bunch of other makers to consider.

Thanks for the replies, I've clicked on every link.

I'm not sure that I know enough to order a completely custom rig - I wouldn't know the answers to the "How do you want it?" questions from the makers.

I need to make an amendment to my earlier post, Murphys does now use kydex in key stress areas to assure that the shape does not change in those crtical areas. I actually went and looked his site over again last night and really liked the looks of his Gamer ll, perhaps a bit less drop for me BUT...

While you have the old internet fired up, you may as well look at JM Leather. He's a good guy and will work with you on designing your custom rig.

If nothing else, his site has a lot of pictures to get some design ideas.

Josey Kidd

I guess I am prejudiced toward this holster.

http://www.redcentcustomleather.com/about/

Of the two you mentioned. I would go with the Longhunter rig.

Used one for 8 years and liked it. They make a good product.

But as others have posted. Dan with Murphy Leather is who I would look to.

Have owned and used all of the above listed makers over the years with the exception of Redcents holster (very nice looking stuff love your designs). But I have to throw Doc Noper into the ring. I have been so dang pleased with my rig I've used it longer than any other i have owned. His craftsmanship is excellent and his designs are field tested by some of the best in the game. Not to mention being a student of the game himself and a dang good shooter does not hurt the function of his designs either. Combine that with the best turn around time in the biz (usually under two weeks for a rig) he is my choice and will continue to be. No he does not have a website. Give him a call 616 690-7544

53355447-fc76-466e-afe3-0b36054bfc67_zps

Deuce, your machine won't talk to my machine. Check it out will you. And here was what I was sending you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather/150530958333442

Archived