SASS Wire Forum

Ponsness Warren

Seriously considering getting either a Ponsness Warren 800 Plus or the mire expensive Patriot. Is the Patriot worth the extra money or will I be happy enough with the 800 plus? Plan to load 12 gauge for cowboy action. There is a small chance I will load 410 for my nephews young children but that may never happen.

A very good friend and fellow CAS shooter had a PW. He said it was a pain in the you know where to set up and adjustments were equally as frustrating. Once set up it worked great. He had a fire in his loading area started by a shorted out tumbler. More smoke than flames fortunately. PW wouldn't do anything when he called them to replace a few parts that were damaged. He had 2 Dillon 650's that had some damage too. Dillon not only repaired them but rebuilt them. So,now he has the Dillon shotgun loader.

Seriously considering getting either a Ponsness Warren 800 Plus or the mire expensive Patriot. Is the Patriot worth the extra money or will I be happy enough with the 800 plus? Plan to load 12 gauge for cowboy action. There is a small chance I will load 410 for my nephews young children but that may never happen.

for cowboy shooting a PW is over kill but I have one, the 800 plus is a great machine,

AO

I've went through the Mec, 366, RCBS Grand, and a Dillon. The PW is the best of the bunch with the Dillon coming in 2nd, but I couldn't keep the Dillon running for some reason. I hated that being I'm a big Dillon fan. I needed speed for reloading. When I'm reloading that means I'm not shooting or working on people's guns. I went with the PW 800 plus with a case feeder. What a machine! I can almost keep up with a Dillon 650 loading metallic cartridges. It did take some set up time and a lot of bench space. The hopper for the empties looks like a small wheel barrow. Now that I'm shooting other sports I have considered selling it since it is such a high speed machine.

Good Luck with your purchase

I have not used the Patriot but really would like to, it does everything automatic except for placing the wad. What I think is one of the biggest pluses is that the primer and shot feed are now case activated, no more accidental spills if your head gets out of sync with the machine. Many products come with the option of extended warranties but most make it optional, Dillon just builds it into the price of everyone's machine up front. Your home insurer is into selling fire protection and PW is in the press manufacturing business, the way it should be!

Ok, so good and bad.

I started with a used PW 900. Took me dang near a month to get it adjusted. Had pretty good luck for about a year and decided to upgrade to the 800 Plus. Had to send it back to the factory (at my cost) because I couldn't get the primers to line up. They had it about two weeks and sent it back and it's been running ok. Honestly, if I could un-do it, I would still be running my 900 because it was smoother.

On another note, I talked to the guy who actually helped design the Patriot - he said he wouldn't own one because it's too difficult to keep running.

Played with a older machine and also spent a couple of days with a buddies Brand New 800B with case feeder. He was so disappointed with the rig that he offered to give me the whole set up. After working with it I'll stick with my Mec. Yes I know Mec reloaders are stamped parts. But I have been so pleased with my Grabber that nothing I look at makes me want to change. I wish I had bought one years ago instead of struggling with other brands and machines. At just at 4 minutes for a box of great looking ammo, I could not be happier.

They are a good machine, but you must pay attention when loading, use a fluid motion when pulling the handle down and make sure the table indexes properly and you complete the sequence by pushing the handle all the way back to seat your primer and the indexing pin falls in place for the next loading sequence. I have used one for a long time and love it. It is a little overkill for what we do and a Mec will work just as well and give you a good finished round. If you are loading for other shotgun shooting sports, then the P/W is a great way to go.

After you mount the P/W (800 Plus), build a fence around it using quarter round. Provide a hole in the top of the bench for rounds, powder, and shot. After a while you may not need the fence.

In another life I was pretty much 'ate up' with shotgun sports, particularly sporting clays. I bought a PW...1991-2? Then put a Spolar hydraulic foot pedal on it. Back then I shot 500-1000 rounds a week pretty much all year.

A serious neck injury forced me out of sporting the year after I won the Nat'l Sporting Skins. That machine grew spiders and dust for 5 yrs. Then I found SASS.

I can load enough 12 ga 3/4 oz ultra low recoil- super-secret hi-velocity-knock-down-killin'-popper smashin' rounds in about 2 hrs for an entire year of every weekend plus, all the majors I can afford, eat, take time, etc. AND! If you get in a all fired hurry and jam that sucker there better be no chirrens around your loading room because it gets Deadwood style X-rated pretty fast.

I hate loading... wouldn't trade it. There are all sorts/ brands/ colors, etc. But for loading shotgun there is only one better....SPOLAR and GAAAAWWWWD knows we don't need it for the amount of S/G we shoot....but man, I'd love to have it anyway! ;)

Word to the wise- buy and use a MEC SUPER- SIZER SS77 brass base re-sizer. If your machine doesn't resize the bases then you're asking for hung up hulls no matter what you shoot.

In another life I was pretty much 'ate up' with shotgun sports, particularly sporting clays. I bought a PW...1991-2? Then put a Spolar hydraulic foot pedal on it. Back then I shot 500-1000 rounds a week pretty much all year.

A serious neck injury forced me out of sporting the year after I won the Nat'l Sporting Skins. That machine grew spiders and dust for 5 yrs. Then I found SASS.

I can load enough 12 ga 3/4 oz ultra low recoil- super-secret hi-velocity-knock-down-killin'-popper smashin' rounds in about 2 hrs for an entire year of every weekend plus, all the majors I can afford, eat, take time, etc. AND! If you get in a all fired hurry and jam that sucker there better be no chirrens around your loading room because it gets Deadwood style X-rated pretty fast.

I hate loading... wouldn't trade it. There are all sorts/ brands/ colors, etc. But for loading shotgun there is only one better....SPOLAR and GAAAAWWWWD knows we don't need it for the amount of S/G we shoot....but man, I'd love to have it anyway! ;)

Word to the wise- buy and use a MEC SUPER- SIZER SS77 brass base re-sizer. If your machine doesn't resize the bases then you're asking for hung up hulls no matter what you shoot.

A huge YES on the MEC Super Sizer, especially if your reloading 16 gauge.

I load on the Mec Jr. it works great for all the shotgun rounds I shoot.

But I do have the Dillon and we never got it to load Winchester hulls, gave up on them and changed to Remington STS hulls and it makes great shot shells.

Played with a older machine and also spent a couple of days with a buddies Brand New 800B with case feeder. He was so disappointed with the rig that he offered to give me the whole set up. After working with it I'll stick with my Mec. Yes I know Mec reloaders are stamped parts. But I have been so pleased with my Grabber that nothing I look at makes me want to change. I wish I had bought one years ago instead of struggling with other brands and machines. At just at 4 minutes for a box of great looking ammo, I could not be happier.

I'm with Deuce but I have the 9000.

Archived