SASS Wire Forum

NRA - I'm getting a bit tired of the NRA.

Matthew Duncan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all. The American Radio Relay League (national association of ham radio operators) conducts fundraisers, and their membership is easily as old as the NRA's, but they don't send out membership expiration notices a year early.

I don't see that impacting my personal Constitutional freedoms all that much.

If I renew my membership they will send me a range bag and a LED flashlight. Sure that's a double good deal so I send in my money.

A few months pass and several more NRA mailings asking for money for this and that but no range bag or flashlight. Get another mailing and buried in it is a small notice that if I really want the range bag and flashlight then check here and mail to here. I check and mail and about another 2 months and my "free" range bag and flashlight arrive.

Fast forward a bit. The present Yankee Federal administration has me ticked off. So when the NRA offered a life membership at a reduced fee (no free leather jacket) and a payment plan I signed up!

Been a life member for near on 2 years now.

Yesterday the NRA sent me a Statement of Account with a current balance of $750 !!!!!!! What the....so I sort thru th mailing to determine why the NRA thinks a life member owes them money.

They want me now to become a "Endowment Life Membership" at a cost of $1,000 and the $750 is a "credit" towards the endowment. AND if I send them the $250 I'll get a special NRA tactical briefcase.

Well NRA you have just pushed me of the edge too. I ain't giving no more money so your vice president can get payed a salary of a million dollars. I'm going to up my membership to Gun Owners of America to a life membership! GOA don't play these games!

Did ya try a phone and call 'em or did ya lose phone service down there because of a Yankee something or another. :wacko:

Rye, A proud Yankee!! :FlagAm: and a Life Member of the NRA, also a member of the NRA/ILA, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation and CCRTKBA

Not all. The American Radio Relay League (national association of ham radio operators) conducts fundraisers, and their membership is easily as old as the NRA's, but they don't send out membership expiration notices a year early.

When Radio Relays are outlawed, only outlaws will have Radio Relays!

Like it or not Congress and the President are controlled by special interest groups with very deep pockets (some, a lot, most maybe???) from foreign countries.

Like it or not the main concern of all politicians in Washington is to get reelected.

The NRA is a single issue organization that has the money and members (read voters) to fight the Bloombergs and keep our Congressmen feet to the fire.

M.D.,

I in no way include you in the above group. We need more than one pro-gun group in this fight. I have also thought about joining the GOA as I am a long time NRA Life member and don't pay dues anymore.

(ok rant mode off. Motived for a long Monday at work,,,check)

The NRA is the best Federal level pro-gun lobbying organization out there, however in other areas they aren't always the best choice. Their participation at the state level can be iffy and in CT, I've not found them to be of any real help at all.

Legislatively it is the Second Amendment Foundation that has been the ones challenging and winning in the majority of court cases. Keep in mind initially the NRA did not want Heller vs Washington DC to go to the Supreme Court.

I heard a quote the other day on the news "Politicians on both sides, republican and democrat, are deftly afraid of the NRA, making passing anti gun laws difficult" ....I'm all for that.....they should be afraid...very afraid

Keep in mind initially the NRA did not want Heller vs Washington DC to go to the Supreme Court.

You know, that explains a few things. NRA's muscle is most effective in lobbying the legislature, where they can encourage lawmakers who are sympathetic to our rights and discourage those who are not, all at the same time. In court, especially the Supreme Court, lobbying like that can get you arrested. And one bad court decision can undo years of legislative progress. I can see why the NRA would want to carefully choose which cases to fight. I don't necessarily agree with their choices, but I think I understand it now.

• 5 months later...

I hate reading stuff like this. The NRA was offering you a discounted Endowment Membership and you complain about it? It's not a bill. It was an offer. You don't have to take it, of course. Why in the world would that bother you? The real problem with complaints like this is that it reflects poorly on the NRA and they are doing more to protect your 2nd Amendment rights than anyone else. It seems that some people join the NRA expecting to get things when you should really join them to give!

That said, I'm also a member of GOA, The Second Amendment Foundation, and the Illinois Rifle Association. They all do great work. But the last thing shooters should be doing is bashing the very organizations that are working hard to protect the rights they value so much. The NRA is NOT the enemy! When NRA members start complaining about getting offers for upgraded membership levels, that's not good. Somebody who is thinking about joining the NRA but doing a little research first can easily find your post. As a matter of fact, I found it while looking for something unrelated. It was a top Google hit when just looking for an NRA product review. Think about the next time you feel like bashing the NRA.

As for the gifts for renewing your membership, you won't get those when you're an NRA Life Member or higher, of course, because you won't have to renew but my wife is a regular member and she gets that stuff. She's thankful for it while you complain. It's true that sometimes there is a mix-up and you don't receive the gift for renewing but a quick call to the NRA and it will be on it's way. They are open 7 days a week and the folks there are always very helpful. You could have fixed your "problem" in less time than it took you to complain about the NRA here.

I would respectfully suggest that you keep your complaints about the NRA private in the future and not post them on the internet. But I have no idea why you are complaining in the first place. Again, the NRA was just presenting you with an offer to upgrade your membership level for a discounted price. What's to complain about?

Yesterday the NRA sent me a Statement of Account with a current balance of $750 !!!!!!! What the....so I sort thru th mailing to determine why the NRA thinks a life member owes them money.

They want me now to become a "Endowment Life Membership" at a cost of $1,000 and the $750 is a "credit" towards the endowment. AND if I send them the $250 I'll get a special NRA tactical briefcase.

Well NRA you have just pushed me of the edge too. I ain't giving no more money so your vice president can get payed a salary of a million dollars. I'm going to up my membership to Gun Owners of America to a life membership! GOA don't play these games!

A while back I got the typical NRA phone call soliciting donations for some hot gun issue. I asked how they would use the money - "Well, to fight for your rights". OK but how? "We'll fight for your rights". OK but how? Taking members of congress to lunch? Bribery? That's when they hung up. So how do they use the money?

And the alternative is?

Right. There is none. I merely trash can most of the mail and contribute when I can as I see fit.

Exactly!!!! ;)

And I have just one question, what gun rights group are the politicians most afraid of???

Love them or hate them it's the NRA!!!

That's why they will always have my support!

Absolutely right! Belong to whatever you like, but first join the NRA.

A guest with his first post resurrects a post that is 5 1/2 months dead...I wonder what his agenda is?

Was wondering that same thing myownself.

However, the NRA's constant bombardment of email does get a little annoying. 99% of the time I just $% can 'em and get on with life.

The "Wine Club" is the one I do find amusing. "Hold my Pinot Nor and watch this."

(My sense of humor is sometimes related to the fact that I live south of the river.)

I am an Endowment Life member.....didn't cost near as much as currently. In 2000 they had a drive for Endowment upgrades for $100.00. No problem sending them that amount!

A guest with his first post resurrects a post that is 5 1/2 months dead...I wonder what his agenda is?

....from reading his post - stop the NRA bashing.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Here's what I told a friend who does not belong to the NRA because he does not agree with some of the things they do.

I have been a member of the military, police, state government and private business over the years. There is not one of those entities that I agreed with100% with. There is not one that I was happy with completely. Not one.

But did I refuse to belong because of some differences in procedure or philosophy? No. And it could be that my differences with those organizations may even have done some good in some small way.

Organizations listen to members like government listens to voters. They do not listen to outsiders who want them to change.

Every organization has faults and deficiencies. Just like people and families.

....from reading his post - stop the NRA bashing.

My NRA membership is at the Patron level, and I still send donations. It's not his support of the NRA I question. It's the timing of his post. The thread was quiet for nearly half a year. Why introduce yourself to a forum in this way?

My NRA membership is at the Patron level, and I still send donations. It's not his support of the NRA I question. It's the timing of his post. The thread was quiet for nearly half a year. Why introduce yourself to a forum in this way?

New member often scroll through past threads and respond to what interests them.

I would suggest thay ZoneIII take a few minutes to put some basics in his profile. It's the best way to introduce yourself here and ncrease your credibility.

The fund raising by the NRA has in some ways backfired in my opinion. As more members take advantage of the reduced rates for life and endowment they no longer have the requirement to give the NRA the funds on an annual basis. This method of fund raising may give a give a quick boost to the income at any given time but long term, the stady flow of funds decreases as fewer members "pay up" on a more regular basis.

Hilda Billie and i used to belong to a time share campground that tried the discounted rates method of fund raising and it backfired. Within 2 years they were selling off properties to avoid folding. That can be a real slippery slope, and maybe the NRA is big enough to avoid the pitfalls but it can create major issues.

You asked 'agenda'...anyway, maybe he's interested in NRA subjects and while looking over the site he came upon this subject and it hit a cord. Didn't really bother me...

Yeah... But, I'm much more sick of 'Boma, Bloomberg, the Brady Bunch, Demanding Moms and every other elitist, progressive gun-grabber.

I been a member of the NRA since the 50s. I have been tired of their mailings since the 50s.

I'm smart enough to ignore stuff that annoys me when it's a minor detail of something that's hugely valuable to my life.

The anti-gunners haven't increased their impact on my life to any major degree since the 50s, and from what I can tell from reading the newspapers and watching the news, they've tried to impose some really stupid things all along. Who do they whine about first when their crap doesn't pass or when it's overturned? duh..........

Yeah, I was just now reading the thread and came upon a post that was my opinion exactly, from a guy who must have had identical experiences to me. Then I saw it was me, a few months back!

I'm smart enough to ignore stuff that annoys me when it's a minor detail of something that's hugely valuable to my life.

;)

Bummer! not a member and dunt plan to join,,,and glad I dint. whenever I'm offered a quality expensive item for free---best to check what "free" means.

Bummer! not a member and dunt plan to join,,,and glad I dint. whenever I'm offered a quality expensive item for free---best to check what "free" means.

Although I don't agree with everything the NRA does, it certainly is worth joining. Few organizations have the clout that the NRA does. If you enjoy shooting, the freedoms that the 2nd Amendment provides and wish to continue to enjoy them......join.......for your sake and future generations of gun owners.

Nothing toward you CC.......I just can't figure out why pro-gunners don't join the NRA.

CS

CC, darlin'! It ain't about the "free" gift. I pay my dues as an annual member and ignore the extra fund drives because that is all the money I can spare, being on a partially fixed income. The next time one of the specials comes around and I have the spare cash, I'll probably get a life membership.

The point is that we have to do what we can to prevent the anti-gun owner people from destroying our natural constitutionally guaranteed right to self protection. Annual membership is only $30.00 right now and that much will add up to millions of members all supporting the pro-gun owner agenda that holds sway on the "representatives" we send to Washington that seldom vote their constituents' wishes unless forced to do so.

Like Cypress Sun said above. It's the best way to show that we are serious about it and NRA carries the most clout!!

Who will fight for your Constitutional right? The ACLU? Your congressman? Do you have any clout in DC? I sure don't. But millions of us together do!

About 4 bucks a month for an annual membership. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously- :rolleyes:

Just WHO do you support so you can retain OUR 2nd Amendment RIGHTS? <_<

OLG

Seriously- :rolleyes:

Just WHO do you support so you can retain OUR 2nd Amendment RIGHTS? <_<

OLG

+ A bunch.

Don't always agree with 'em. But I doubt that we would be playin' this game if it weren't for the NRA.

You can ask the NRA to stop the junk mail. My Father called them and after a few short minutes on the phone, the mailings were stopped.

He even remarked that the operator was a lot more pleasant than his @#$%^&* kids. ;)

A while back I got the typical NRA phone call soliciting donations for some hot gun issue. I asked how they would use the money - "Well, to fight for your rights". OK but how? "We'll fight for your rights". OK but how? Taking members of congress to lunch? Bribery? That's when they hung up. So how do they use the money?

It's called lobbying. Who do you think pays for all of the "fact-finding" overseas trips and lavish perks Congressmen and their families get?

You are very naïve if you don't realize how money talks in Washington.

Archived