SASS Wire Forum

advise on better fishing gear

Trigger Mike

My 8 year old fishes nearly every day, except for Sunday per my command. Since he does, he burns through fishing reels and sometimes poles at an alarming rate. I use the same reel and have no problems but I do not fish as often. He has used the zebcos from walmart, the bass pro shops brand (he has broke two of them so the warranty I paid 8 for was worth it). Sometimes the end of the rod breaks. What is a good solution for him that is not overly expensive but is more durable? He is bringing in 3 pound channel cat, bluegill and 1 pound bass.

Ugly Stick rods, and tell him to quit slamming the tips in doors. As for reels, Daiwa. Buy once, teach him how to maintain it, and he should be good for life. I have Daiwa reels going on 20 years now.

For reels a Shimano Sienna or if you want to spend quite a bit more a Shimano Stradic. I used to crappie fish daily through winter and spring. I have a couple of each of the above. Keep oiled and they last well.

For rods I agree with the ugly stick.

I have seen youngster slam the rod tip in the water to untangle the bait. This practice frequently breaks rod tips.

Another bad practice is to lay the rod on the ground where someone is likely to trend on them.

I have seen youngster slam the rod tip in the water to untangle the bait. This practice frequently breaks rod tips.

Another bad practice is to lay the rod on the ground where someone is likely to trend on them.

I agree with you there, the other day he used the end of his rod to pin a snake that he killed(possibly a copperhead but he mangled it beyond recognition and beat it into the mud to where the colors were hard to see)

Fishing gear is like everything else. You get what you pay for. a $60 rig is way better than a $30 but the $300 rig is unbelievably better than the $60 one. Fishing here in Alaska has proved this many times over. It's great that your son fishes a lot. I would spend as you dare with a youngster, like stated above a Ugly stick is a great starter, as for the Reel get a good one, you'll both be happier. But....I started my kids out on my $300+ rigs and they held up great, but it also spoiled them and now that they're out on their own, they hate the stuff they can afford and have a tendency to hijack my fishing gear.

will a spinning reel tangle easier than the enclosed reels with a button? Is the type of reel he is using the problem then maybe?

The fact that they're Zebcos is the problem. Spincasting reels are not my cup of tea, I've had too many tangles inside the reel to go back to them. As long as you don't overfill the spool, a spinning rig should work great for him. 10 lb Trilene XT and he should be set for a couple of years, just put fresh line on then.

The fact that they're Zebcos is the problem. Spincasting reels are not my cup of tea, I've had too many tangles inside the reel to go back to them. As long as you don't overfill the spool, a spinning rig should work great for him. 10 lb Trilene XT and he should be set for a couple of years, just put fresh line on then.

I agree spin casting and casting reels is not good for young ones to learn with.

by the time their twelve or so, they seem to do fine with em all including fly casting

+1

I prefer Stren but that puts us in the Ford vs Chevy and MaryAnn vs Ginger category ;)

P.S. Chevy and MaryAnn :wub:

Teach him how to maintain the reels that will greatly improve their longevity. When I was his age I was taking them apart cleaning and lubricating and them putting them back together. Had a box of reels that were beyond repair that I scroungedup to use for spare parts. Probaly took them apart way too often but I had a lot of fun.

I know the quality of Zebco has went severly down hill since I was his age. The Diawa Silvercast reels get good reviews and are not too expensive. I do highly recommend getting Ugly Sticks they are almost indestructable.

I still have my first open face spinning reel and my first baitcaster. First spinning reel was a Zebco Cardinal 4. Left hand crank only. Workd hard to learn how to use my left had to crank in fish between Christmas and fishing weather. Same with the Shimano Bantam 500 baitcaster. Spent weeks in the pasture learning how to control the spool for maximum distance while not backlashing.

Dislike Zebco reels immensely. I prefer Daiwas myself. Wife and SIL fish a lot more than I do, always have problems with their equipment( Zebco, and another used to be good that I can't recall the brand. Dang CRS!). When I do fish ,I use a little underspin reel( Daiwa) :blush:

( Zebco, and another used to be good that I can't recall the brand. Dang CRS!). :blush:

We used to see a lot of Garcia reels when I was a youngster. Kids who had to buy their own gear bought Zebcos, and kids whose parents bought their gear got Garcias.

Anyone remember the story of Zebco...? :)

Zero Hour Bomb Company. ^_^

I still have one in excellent condition marked that way

As far as the question buy a decent open face spinning reel and an Ugly Stick if he breaks that use the broken end on his butt

will a spinning reel tangle easier than the enclosed reels with a button? Is the type of reel he is using the problem then maybe?

I most cases yes a open spinning reel will tangle easier than the closed face ones.

I like the DuPont fishing gear. Was told that I spent to much time fishing. Now I just go out find a large school of fish, light it and throw it into the middle and then pick out the keepers and go home. Makes it a little hard to fish where the access is posted and the wardens seem to come around more often, but talk about trophy fish. My advice for ice fishing is use a smaller charge, the full stick seems to lift the ice a bit.

On the serious side, I still use my Ted Williams fishing outfit I bought at Sears when I was ten, it is now fifty years old and still works great. Hate to think how many fish have been caught with it.

think I'll go to bass pro and get myself a shimano reel and another ugly stick for MYSELF. I already have an ugly stick with a bass pro reel on it that feels great. I will keep those and give my son one of my old set ups.

Archived