SASS Wire Forum

TEX! Pardon my french, but yuve screwed up!

I realize that there are two sides to this about the actions closing, but dang it man, you really have caused a ruckus this time!!!

You really should backtrack on this!!!

respectfully,

Cheyenne

In my personal opinion the biggest problem with Tex writing editorials in the fashion he does is the sheer confusion it causes the shooters

He states things as if they are fact, and in several cases his statements are a direct conflict with the rules, and the clarifications of the ROC. Several shooters don't come on the sass wire at all, so they never see the ROC clarifications or practical discussion leading to a ruling. The only source that they have for rule clarification or information is the Chronicle and Tex's inaccurate ramblings

I have heard several shooters complain because they saw other people wearing wranglers and thought that the shooter wearing wranglers where breaking the rules because "Tex said".

I realize he likes to stir the pot, however in the process of stirring the pot, he creates unhappy customers of SASS, and of match directors. And honestly lessons the integrity of the product by confusing shooters and in some cases match directors.

I understand he is entitled to an opinion, and to express it in the chronical, but as a match director, and someone who is Directly affected by shooters confused by his his stating his OPINION as FACT, even when it directly conflicts with the rule book and the clarifications of the ROC.

In a perfect world he would just quit stirring the pot, but I would settle for him simply saying "in my opinion" instead of "this is how it is".

I am heading to EOT, but first I'll be stopping by to buy some blue jeans, with belt loops. I will be easy to be found that way.

Make sure you buy them at Wal-Mart!!! That'll really rile up Tex, but be easy on him he's an old guy that's probably losing it a little. :P

Rye :D

I know you all know this but I will post it anyway. Levis were invented in 1873 Funny thing I do believe that is what the

model of my rifle is. ( I shoot a 73 ) Seems to me it is the same era. Maybe someone should forward the web address to mr. Tex

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/bluejeans.htm

Great article. Fun to read about stuff like Levi's and how they got their start.

My 1st outfit was a pair of raggedy jeans that I cut the belt loops off and added mismatched buttons for suspenders. Used an old striped long sleeved nite shirt that was frayed at the collar and had a few holes. A bandanna that was faded and ripped. Some suspenders that were white that I died with tea. A cowboy hat that has just about seen it's last days and a pair of old mule eared boots.

Trying to look like and old wrangler just off the range and a little down on his luck.

I've added a lot of clothing since that time.

Saved me some gold after spending a boat load for me guns.

But I still wear that outfit once in a while, no one has complained about my wearing those jeans.

How about belt loops? Does anyone know when they added them to the jeans?

In my personal opinion the biggest problem with Tex writing editorials in the fashion he does is the sheer confusion it causes the shooters

He states things as if they are fact, and in several cases his statements are a direct conflict with the rules, and the clarifications of the ROC. Several shooters don't come on the sass wire at all, so they never see the ROC clarifications or practical discussion leading to a ruling. The only source that they have for rule clarification or information is the Chronicle and Tex's inaccurate ramblings

I have heard several shooters complain because they saw other people wearing wranglers and thought that the shooter wearing wranglers where breaking the rules because "Tex said".

I realize he likes to stir the pot, however in the process of stirring the pot, he creates unhappy customers of SASS, and of match directors. And honestly lessons the integrity of the product by confusing shooters and in some cases match directors.

I understand he is entitled to an opinion, and to express it in the chronical, but as a match director, and someone who is Directly affected by shooters confused by his his stating his OPINION as FACT, even when it directly conflicts with the rule book and the clarifications of the ROC.

In a perfect world he would just quit stirring the pot, but I would settle for him simply saying "in my opinion" instead of "this is how it is".

The problem with this crap is a lot of folks read the CC editorial and think when Tex wants a rule change it is a done deal. A few years ago, Tex made a big deal about lugged soles on boots. Even got the TGs to discuss and vote on eliminating lugged soles on boots for all shooters. The TGs did not go along as they felt it was a safety issue for many shooters especially in bad weather. Tex never gave it up and repeated his distaste for lugged sole boots in subsequent CC editorials. I wear lugged sole boots, they ARE legal except for two categories. I still have folks at shoots tell me I am wearing illegal footwear. Even had match directors tell me I had to change my boots to shoot, because they thought my boots were illegal with the lugged soles. Each time I have had to ask them to show me the rule prohibiting lugged soles in my boots, and they can not. The real issue is that now I believe if Tex says it is so in the CC editorial it must be a rule after this open action fiasco. The rest of you wearing blue jeans better stop shooting or buy different pants, 97 shooters quit walking and slam firing, etc.

The problem with this crap is a lot of folks read the CC editorial and think when Tex wants a rule change it is a done deal. A few years ago, Tex made a big deal about lugged soles on boots. Even got the TGs to discuss and vote on eliminating lugged soles on boots for all shooters. The TGs did not go along as they felt it was a safety issue for many shooters especially in bad weather. Tex never gave it up and repeated his distaste for lugged sole boots in subsequent CC editorials. I wear lugged sole boots, they ARE legal except for two categories. I still have folks at shoots tell me I am wearing illegal footwear. Even had match directors tell me I had to change my boots to shoot, because they thought my boots were illegal with the lugged soles. Each time I have had to ask them to show me the rule prohibiting lugged soles in my boots, and they can not. The real issue is that now I believe if Tex says it is so in the CC editorial it must be a rule after this open action fiasco. The rest of you wearing blue jeans better stop shooting or buy different pants, 97 shooters quit walking and slam firing, etc.

+1... and to show what a difference it makes; this year at WR rather than wear my lugged sole White's packers, which I always wear for WB, on the morning of the rain I considered it knowing that we would be shooting on the new wooden board walk. It was wet.

Shooting Classic Cowboy, I didn't feel that was right so I went with my slick (but some kinda rubbery) boot's soles. First stage running left from pistols to rifle/shotgun I went legs out from under me; head banged on boardwalk; pistols stayed in the holsters.

IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE SOMETIMES... and rules are rules. Name me a single time that you have EVER seen the footwear rule of any kind applied at a match? So why bother to make rules that won't be enforced? All manner of footwear has now been called 'legal' including lace-up molded bottom, rubber treaded and the White's are in fact legal.... but that doesn't make it Classic Cowboy. And, I'll bet that I would have been much better getting away with it than being so shook up that I shot a "P" and then 3 misses on the next two stages.

Similarly, if a vertical rack is in question for a SXS shooter then he'd be a fool to NOT close the action of a cleared action before re-staging. The result will be simply that shooters will ignore the strict application of an unenforceable rule that can't be called with certainty.

First stage running left from pistols to rifle/shotgun I went legs out from under me; head banged on boardwalk; pistols stayed in the holsters.

Oh cry me a river. Probably did more damage to the boardwalk than your head. You didn't even get carted off in an ambulance. :P

(For the inquiring minds in the audience no, I was NOT wearing lugged soled boots. :( )

Anyone who tells me I can't wear jeans at a match best be prepared for me to take them off :D and best hope I'm wearing underwear that day :D :D Ain't no rule that says ya have to wear pants.

HaHa, this is the same guy that thinks a match director should not shoot his own stages. Meanwhile he is writing his own rule book and inventing his own categories. What a JOKE.

Having (MADD mike 8595) started SASS BEFORE IT

I have the utmost respect for Tex inventing the Gun Fighter Category

THANK-U Tex

No joke here at all

Is tex perfect (nope)

But neither am I and including many others

Ps

Some (very few) match direcTors board directors have done less than honorable things (that just might have been his meaning)

By his stating what he did

Perhaps

will inspire others to play by the rules, and not invite controversy into their otherwise rocken shoot

Mileage will often time vary between model years and environmental conditions

Having (MADD mike 8595) started SASS BEFORE IT

I have the utmost respect for Tex inventing the Gun Fighter Category

THANK-U Tex

No joke here at all

Is tex perfect (nope)

But neither am I and including many others

Ps

Some (very few) match direcTors board directors have done less than honorable things (that just might have been his meaning)

By his stating what he did

Perhaps

will inspire others to play by the rules, and not invite controversy into their otherwise rocken shoot

Mileage will often time vary between model years and environmental conditions

Obama isn't perfect either, but since you're not and many others aren't I guess it's ok. No offense, but by that reasoning nothing anyone ever does can be criticized. <_<

Then you go on to state that Tex's criticism of MDs shooting their own matches is OK because some small few may have once done something less than honorable.

So, let me get this straight.

What Tex does is OK, cause he's not perfect and none of us are either, so leave him alone.

Criticizing Match Directors for shooting their own matches is OK cause some few somewhere may have once been bad.

Can you really not see that those two sentiments are contradictory? What's bad is bad if it's us talking about Tex, but what's bad is good if it's Tex talking about us. :lol::lol:

I did not in any way compare the two. I simply pointed out the fallacy in Mike's reasoning and provided an example that left no doubt. There, I've changed it, see if you like that better.

Not sure what or who KK is though.

PS, now that I think about it, this is the better comparison anyway. Neither cares much what the rules are, only that they get the result they want.

yea, I like that one much better!!! not him, the comparison!

I don't agree with the statement that anything Tex says and does is OK, since he was/is one of the original founders, and so what if he is the editor of the CC.

Any person with any amount of authority, who would willfully stir up the membership in the way he is, and has been doing, is simply WRONG. He has managed to kill any respect I ever had for him, and I suspect many, if not most, share my feelings. Creating chaos among the membership is anything but acceptable.

RBK

Obama isn't perfect either, but since you're not and many others aren't I guess it's ok. No offense, but by that reasoning nothing anyone ever does can be criticized. <_<

Then you go on to state that Tex's criticism of MDs shooting their own matches is OK because some small few may have once done something less than honorable.

So, let me get this straight.

What Tex does is OK, cause he's not perfect and none of us are either, so leave him alone.

Criticizing Match Directors for shooting their own matches is OK cause some few somewhere may have once been bad.

Can you really not see that those two sentiments are contradictory? What's bad is bad if it's us talking about Tex, but what's bad is good if it's Tex talking about us. :lol::lol:

some of what tex does is ok, that was my point, never never never ment that everything he says is okey dokey

life itself is contradictory as well, because we all die in the end

let us all try to do best for the whole of SASS / CAS / WB

match directors that shoot their own matchs is perfectly legal and he aint saying that sould be changed,

he is sain::::::: it can in some cases::::: leed to Criticizing of the Match Directors

its gettin where a feller cant say much these days :lol::lol:

gosh,,,,,,

I did not in any way compare the two. I simply pointed out the fallacy in Mike's reasoning and provided an example that left no doubt.

for crying out loud, I said I liked and respected tex for inventing gun fighter category, it was a tough battle for him

I, Madd Mike

never said he was the best thing since sliced bread, and smokeless powder for warfare

Archived