SASS Wire Forum

so i just blew up my 650

And stories such as these is why I never have owned a 650!

+1.

Probably around 30,000 rounds which I don't consider a lot of rounds through a press.

Dillon does make the best presses but the 650 is the worst primer feed system they make. The 1050, 550, and the square deal all have more reliable primer systems. And yes the 1050 is worth the extra money compared to the 650.

There does that satisfy people?

+1

Also one of the reasons I went the way I did, keeping with my Dillon 550. I have two of them set up, one for LP, and one for SP. The SP one is for my .38 loads, and the LP one is for my .45ACP loads, everything else I do on my single stage press.

Every time I see a story on the wire about a primer system blowup, it's always on a 650 (and on other websites as well).

Whoowee! Marshall TKD, I get your sarcasm. My 650 is so old that when I tried to order some springs, the tech had to send me a new manual so that they knew what I was talkin about! All the parts numbers etc... had changed. That being said, around 50k .38 spl. AT LEAST 100K .45 acp, never a blow up. I had a problem after changing the primer feed once when those bolts weren't tightened up by ME, but no blow ups thank goodness. A few crushed up when the rotary system tried to carry them away after a case would get crushed during resizing. I was lucky. Now, if I could get the bugger to work with 9mm set up, it would be perfect. I can't, and it's not.

around 50k .38 spl. AT LEAST 100K .45 acp, never a blow up

That's about my experience too. Plus over 30k 45 Colt.

I guess we be living on the edge, huh? :unsure:

I have three 650s in the loading building,45 Colt, 45 ACP and 38/357. I have loaded on the 38 for over 14 years. I have loaded a bunch on the other two for almost as long. Never blown a tube. Very little difficulty with any of them. Primer problems have been almost non existent. I haven't cleaned the 38 for probably ten years. Runs almost as slick as my 3 screws. Slurry does wonders on metal.

'Course, mine is assisted by Dickel.

Whoowee! Marshall TKD, I get your sarcasm. My 650 is so old that when I tried to order some springs, the tech had to send me a new manual so that they knew what I was talkin about! All the parts numbers etc... had changed. That being said, around 50k .38 spl. AT LEAST 100K .45 acp, never a blow up. I had a problem after changing the primer feed once when those bolts weren't tightened up by ME, but no blow ups thank goodness. A few crushed up when the rotary system tried to carry them away after a case would get crushed during resizing. I was lucky. Now, if I could get the bugger to work with 9mm set up, it would be perfect. I can't, and it's not.

Yup some folks don't read the whole post. Quick to go on a witch hunt.

I can't say that I have not had a blow up. I was running my second 650 way to fast and boom. Dillon replaced everything. When I tried to pay they would not accept the payment.

As far as the rebuild on press number 1, stuff wears out.

They have treated me right with both my Square Deal and my 550. Small problems all taken care of pronto and friendly.

They're the best

Tater

Just wait, you're gonna need that warranty too!

I don't think there are any Dillon haters on this thread. I just stated that the 650 primer system does need improvement compared to their other primer feed systems. Maybe the 650 primer feed system is good when properly maintained. I just never had to maintain a primer feed system on any other Dillon press. Now if I loaded 6 different rounds maybe I would put up with having to maintain a primer feed system.

I will safely and ecologically recycle any Dillon 650 that is considered junk. I'll even pay shipping to ensure that Mother Gaia isn't harmed.

;)

They all can have problems.You just have to be careful and stay up on the maintenance the best you can.I have a 550 and have been lucky so far but there have been times where I have called Dillon for advice.

HS

Just wait, you're gonna need that warranty too!

With all that gold dust that ole Tuco Forsyth had to lay down for his 650 you just KNOW he strips and cleans it after every round is loaded! He must have one...mebbe two dollars invested in that raffle ticket :P:lol::D

I Also Am A Proud Member Of The "I Blew Up My 650 Club".

Blew Up Mine After The First 100 Rounds I Loaded (Primer Tube).

That was back in 2006, I have Loaded A Damn Truck Full On It Since.

Ready For The Next Time. Light Tubes Above The Loader Are Protected Now.

Note: There Is Also A "I Blew Up My 1050 Club".

I will safely and ecologically recycle any Dillon 650 that is considered junk. I'll even pay shipping to ensure that Mother Gaia isn't harmed.

;)

Me too. Save the hassle with sending your Dillon back. I will even send a UPS label and box with packing instructions.

Or I can just ride to Barnesville and pick Tuco's $2 Dillon up and save him the grief.

It's gonna happen Tuco. You'll need that warranty.

HELLO- HELLO LIL RED QTIP WOOD SKEWER METAL

Hello

The only ones I've ever seen were bamboo. The dollar stores usually have bags of them in two sizes. The smaller size is about as long as a dinner plate's diameter. They're great for jobs toothpicks aren't long enough for. The longer size is more useful for outdoor grilling and such, and just long enough for pushing a patch through my 550 tubes.

Both bags seem to last forever, but are nice to have around. Surprising how often they solve problems. Bamboo is amazingly strong, and has never scratched anything yet. If yours are metal.... I'd suggest not using them. BTW, haven't seen wooden Qtips anywhere?

Hello

The only ones I've ever seen were bamboo. The dollar stores usually have bags of them in two sizes. The smaller size is about as long as a dinner plate's diameter. They're great for jobs toothpicks aren't long enough for. The longer size is more useful for outdoor grilling and such, and just long enough for pushing a patch through my 550 tubes.

Both bags seem to last forever, but are nice to have around. Surprising how often they solve problems. Bamboo is amazingly strong, and has never scratched anything yet. If yours are metal.... I'd suggest not using them. BTW, haven't seen wooden Qtips anywhere?

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Swab-Cotton-Birch-Wood/dp/B006T6Y56E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402613413&sr=8-1&keywords=q+tips+long

Archived