SASS Wire Forum

Promo or 700X

Blufrost

Has anyone used either of these powders for cowboy? 38's to be exact.

PM me if you have a recipe I can try.

Found 8 pounds of each just hate to buy if they won't work out.

Promo works well. Not the best but more middle of the pack

Promo loads to the exact weight that Red Dot does. Not the same volume in a shotshell bushing, though. Neither is the cleanest powder, but very useful. Have used Red Dot in a lot of 45 Colt, C45 Spl, and shotshells.

700-X is a great powder in .45 auto, works pretty well in .45 Colt, and probably not quite as well in .38 spl (never tried it there myself). Lots of folks find they can't get it to meter well. I drop it with a Lyman 55 measure and it suits me. Also not very clean. Can also load shotshells.

If you have another favorite powder, have a 6 month supply, then buying a full 8# caddy of any powder that you don't really know how to use is a "panic move". I wager in 6 months we will have all the powders except the Australian made Clays line back in good supply.

Of the two you listed, Promo would be a more sure bet for you, it sounds like.

Good luck, GJ

Used 700X in the beginning of cowboy action shooting. Runs a little bit hotter than Clays. Pretty dirty though. Ok - really dirty. switched to Clays and have stayed there.

I will bounch off what Joe G posted. 700X is a very fine shotgun and pistol powder. Its a proven powder over the years. There has been many national records set using 700X in the .45cal and .38cal 1911's in Bullseye Competition. Many matches won at Camp Pery. Plus it is a good shotgun powder

Goatneck

I will bounch off what Joe G posted. 700X is a very fine shotgun and pistol powder. Its a proven powder over the years. There has been many national records set using 700X in the .45cal and .38cal 1911's in Bullseye Competition. Many matches won at Camp Pery. Plus it is a good shotgun powder

Goatneck

+1 used it till I switched to Clays

I have tested both powders and both work really fine in loads that generate at least 11,800 psi. so they are not great for the "down-loading" crowd.

But both work very well in standard pressure loads in .38 special as well as for 12 gage loads up to 1 1/4 oz.

I prefer the Promo over 700X , but this is because I find it the More accurate powder in use in .38 & .44 Spl. as well as .45 Colt.

Jabez Cowboy

I use Promo in my light 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads. 38 special 105 gr cowboy loads and 45lc 200 grain cowboy loads. Will PM loads for the 38 and 45 but not the 12ga. the 12 ga loads are way below the book. They work fine for me but I do not want to pass this load on to someone else.

Either will do the job.

I bought some 700X last year when I couldn't get ANYTHING else.

I had always used Clays before.

Did not have to change the powder drop at all.

Got a bit more of a kick but it worked great and went bang every time.

So I was happy with it.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I used 700X when I first started loading 38s. Small charge was accurate and cheap with 148-150 bullets. Stopprd using when I couldn't find it. Been thinking of trying if I run into some.

Archived