SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 12 Gauge brass shells

crooblekid

Kid, yes you can reload brass shotgun hulls with smokeless powder. Here is a link for reloading them with black powder but there are *.pdf links at the bottom of the site from The American Rifleman October 1964 page 32, a 3 page article "Loading Brass Shotgun Shells" including 'how to load'. In the article there is suggested loading data using smokeless - Hi-Skor.

You can also load them with substitute black powders

If your web browser can't print these files and get them to fit on paper then you might try saving them to disk and printing them with some other program that can.

Black Powder Shotgun Shells

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Post Script: Read the whole site though it is intended for black powder. You will learn the complete how to reload - needed components and sources to obtain the components

Hi every one just joined, I've just acquired some 12 gauge brass shells I wish to load them with smokeless powder! Does anyone know where to get loading data any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Is there a mistake with your SASS number? Someone just joining would be likely to have a SASS number greater than 100,000.

Also, be aware, your IP address indicates you have been infected with a virus (Conficker worm). Please see www.spamhaus.org. I found a PBL and CBL advisory on that site for your IP. Best wishes for solving this problem.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have yet to find any data for loading smokeless powder in brass shotshells.Wish I could find in somewhere also.

I have yet to find any data for loading smokeless powder in brass shotshells.Wish I could find in somewhere also.

Pit Bull - go back and read post #2 ... Hi-Skor isn't a new brand of black powder! :P

Factually, brass hulls can be reloaded with any referenced shotgun loading data. The only difference is how they are reloaded. And if the hulls start to expand, RCBS sells a case sizer/decapper die for brass hulls. If black powder is the charge - need for resizing is not an issue

A dozen years or so ago I saved a bunch of posts on loading BP shotshells and put them on my website:

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/BP12GA.htm

Go to the bottom of that article and you will see a post from Stoney Mike on loading smokeless (Titegroup) in brass shotshells (he used Rem-UMC hulls, same thing as Magtech before the Magtechs were available). I post this every few years when someone asks about smokeless in brass hulls.

Info from both Stoney Mike and assorted people since indicate that you need a heavier overshot card than with BP to help pressure build and you will probably need to resize the shells after using (also mentioned above).

Well well, well, It's pretty cool that this info I put out a many years ago is still floating around out there. I has served me well over the years. I rarely shoot them any more, but that is still the method that I used.

In the article I said that if anyone had any questions feel free to ask and that offer is still open. I had since worked up a load usinf Clays powder, but I understand that is scarce now.

Hope I can be of service.

Regards, Mike

Archived