SASS Wire Forum

RIP Don Zimmer

Passed away in St Petersburg today at age 83.

Was still officially working for the Tampa Bay Rays.

RIP Zim.

I remember him as a key part of our national pastime - before free agency and strikes ruined it.

Yes, I am a proud baseball curmudgeon!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Don Zimmer (The Zim as he was called around here) was a fixture for the Rays for many years. I had a hard time watching the game last night. There was a couple of real good articles in the Tampa Bay Times newspaper this morning including a large front page article and several sports page articles. I googled it under Don Zimmer Tampa Bay Times and the same articles were online........Couldn't figure out how to put it here.

Rest in Peace Zim, you will be missed.

CS

RIP, Zim!

A true baseball man, thru and thru. I'd have loved to have been able to share a few beers with him and listen to him tell baseball stories all night long.

Was a scrappy guy , who ate, breathed, bled and sleep baseball. The game needs more guys like him. I will remember him the most for a bench clearing braw with the Sox-Yankees. Even though Pedro set him down ,he was still in the mix with the young guys. Was well into his seventies at the time, but willing to go at it for his team.

Sunsports Channel (the Rays network) just had a 1/2 hour on field service for Don Zimmer. Both the Mariners and Rays wore old uniforms of the Brooklyn Dodgers on the field for the service. His granddaughter threw the first pitch to his son.....a strike I night add. I'm sure that it'll be on U-tube shortly. It was a touching tribute to the man and legend.

Rest In Peace Zim

Archived