SASS Wire Forum

Results from SASS MA/CT/RI State Championships

Dead_Head

Thanks to the Harvard Ghost Riders for a great shoot.

Results

Top Male Shooter: James Samuel Pike
Top Female Shooter: Appaloosa Amy

2014 SASS CT State Men's Champion - James Samuel Pike
2014 SASS CT State Ladies Champion - Appaloosa Amy

2014 SASS MA State Men's Champion - Grazer
2014 SASS MA State Ladies Champion - Hawley McCoy

2014 SASS RI State Men's Champion - Brett Cantrell
2014 SASS RI State Ladies Champion - Wild Sage

And Dead Head gets full credit for the fantastic weather - in fact the best this shoot has ever had ... since he gets blamed when there is poor weather.

Well done to all the champs and shooters! Hope to see some of ya'll at EOT.

Until then.

Regards,

Ringer

Congratulations to all who shot in the Tri-State, and congratulations to the State Champions and the category winners! A big Howdy from Prescott, AZ! Yee Haw!

TB

I had an amazingly fun and enjoyable time. The weather was great, and the folks I was on the same posse with were wondeful people, as always.

A story: Day one: Was shooting my AWA Lighting and a pair of Colts (4-3/4" real, 5-1/2" ASM Clone) These are by far my fastest guns, and probably my personal favorites. Shotgun was a long barrelled 97. I was doing okay (for me) and I was glad for the longer tube on my SG as the targets for it were just a little bit farther out than I have gotten used to. Most of the stages offered a little bit of "shooters choice" on how you engaged the targets, which I kinda like as it lets you think a little. Well, on one particualr stage, I shot the targets in a most unusual order, but still within the parameters of the stage instructions. To be honest, I did not intend to shoot them that way. But, when I started the string, I made a goof, and had to improvise a way to finish the stage without earning a P. Some folks on the posse were a little perplexed by the way I did it, and I heard one fellow say, "H.K. Uriah is not afraid to be different!"

I smiled when I heard that, and took it as a compliment.

Got home from the shoot and was preparing for the next day. Normally, I shoot 2-1/2" all brass Magtech shells in my 97's cuz I think they are cool. I had a whole bunch that were clean and ready to be reloaded. But, to my horror, even after resizing, they would not chamber in ANY of my 97's! (But they did chamber in my orignal 87. I don't get it.) Well, I was a bit perplexed. Didn't have enough BP sub to load up enough to use in the 87, so I decided that I'd have to use plain old 2-3/4" AAs in a shotgun that has chambers long enough for them. So, with a faint grin, out comes the 18" Parker! (My father had it's chambers lengthened years ago. Then, remembering the comment about how I am not afraid to be different, and knowing I'd already lost my clean match and had nothing left to shoot for except fun, I decided I'd be REALLY different on day 2. So, the Colts and the Lightining were cleaned and put away, and out comes the Nagants and the M1865 Spencer! I knew I was gonna end the shoot near the bottom of the pack, so I figured I may as well do it in style!

Day 2.

After a very nice Cowboy Church service led by Preacher Ben Prayin' (where he asked me to lead the singing) it was time to head back to the range. People were chuckling at my guns that day, wondered what the heck the Nagants were, were impressed by the Spencer, and thought the Parker was really cool. Nope, I was not afraid to be different. Now by way of background, this was actually gonna be the first shoot I really used the Spencer at. I've test fired in the past, and used in a long range side match, once, but this would be the first time I really made use of the old veteran.

I get to the line... And it won't feed from the magazine. ARGH! Since the rilfe was first, I was told to start over. So, I did.

Second time to the line, I was sure I'd figured out the problem. I work the action. And it won't feed. Feeling disgusted, I said, "Screw it! I just missed 10 times" and procced to position 2 to fire off my pistols. I draw the first pistol, only to realize that I had not loaded them! "Oh, what I day I am having!" I proclaimed before loading the durn things on the clock to engage the pistol targets. Someone called out, "Now THAT'S the Spirit of the Game!" to which I muttered, "remember that when it comes to grant that award." Anyway, I then moved to position 3 for the shotgun. And had to remark, "Oh boy! I'd forgotten how bad this thing kicks!"

So for the rest of the day, I was very careful about shouldering the Parker, and would pick up the Spencer and say "Oh my! My rifle has malfunctioned!" put it down and finish out the string.

All in all, I had a really great time, and one less gun to clean when the day was done. :) And to my shock, I did not finish dead last in either my category, or overall! Sometimes things turn out better than you expect.

Looking forward to the next shoot I get too, and to eventually using the Spencer for real.

One of more humorous moments occured on Saturday as Capt. Morgan Rum was shooting. He finished the first firearm and went to pull his first pistol and it wasn't there. What a funny look on his face!

His first thought was that he had dropped it, but when he looked on the other side that one was missing too.

Then someone yelled, "Go get them", so he ran back to the loading table where the two pistols were patiently waiting on him, stuffed them in his holsters, ran back to firing line and continued the sequence.

As you may imagine, every stage after that the posse would do an inspection to make sure he had his firearms, shotshells, etc.

DEADHEAD,

Do not be so fast to take credit for the weather. We specifically made sure not to ask you about the weather before the match, knowing your track record for predicting.

Yankee

Archived