SASS Wire Forum

Prefered 44 Cal Revolvers

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

What are the more popular brands of 44 Mag/Spl revolvers for SASS? (Not percussion/black powder).

Thanks,

Col Del Rio

Colt SAA's are nice if you're using .44 S&W spl.

So are USFA or PIetta clones in same caliber

or Cimarron's "New Thunderer" (mfg. by Uberti)

I started playing this game with an Arminius .44mag...currently sold under the "Bounty Hunter" label.

http://www.gundigest.com/guns/handgun-reviews-articles/uberti-expands-horseman-line-two-new-calibers?et_mid=676413&rid=246006905

I have a pair of New Vaqueros in 44 Special. They are blued with 4 5/8" barrels. I like em a lot.

I also have a pair of Cimarron(Uberti) 1860 Colt Richards Type II conversions in 44 Special. I use them mainly to shoot 44 Russians loaded with BP. Cool pistols. They needed some work to run reliably. The Rugers did not.

If I am competing with SAA type pistols in the game I am toting 2 Uberti SAAs (BP frame) with 5,5" barrel in .44 Special cal. Soot them with .44 Colt only.

Long Johns Wolf

I had one of the ROMVs in 44mag. It was stainlesss with 5 1/2" barl plus a small amount of gold inlay, actually a purty gun since the engraving was limited and subdued. It was the last of my OMVs that I sold before going totally Italian. The OMVs just always felt oversized for SASS shooting for me. Even though I am overloaded with safe queens, I do wish I had kept that one Ruger just for stroking!

PS: I do like the New Vaqueros for shooters and would definitely choose these in 44spec for SASS.

I have both Ruger Vaqueros (Old models) and Colts in .44 special, even had a Great Western, but sold that before I knew I could get parts. The Rugers will stand up to all manners of competition, my just shooting to have fun to the real competitors out there. It still is truly up to your likings and pocket book. You will never loose money on Colts, whatever you pay for them, you can usually get back after using them and the Rugers have also appreciated too as they don't make Magnums anymore, just the .44 specials in the smaller frame.

Nimbles

Got a pair of stainless .44 NV from Long Hunter. Love them. Getting another set of cylinders and have them chambered for .44 WCF. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

I bought a pair of the Ruger 44 special Blachawks in 4 5/8 when they first come out .

Loved the guns so much .

That when Ruger come out with the 44 special blued 4 5/8 Vaquero I also bought a pair of them .

Loved the guns so much .

That when Ruger come out with the Stainless 3 1/2 sheriff models in 44 special .

I bought two of them also.

I think they are GREAT GUNS !

Good luck with what ever you choose to buy .

I found a NIB, unfired, cylinder unturned, 3rd gen Nickeled 7.5" Colt in .44 WCF yesterday @ my local Cabelas. I put it on a five day hold while I decided if I would ever shoot it or just take it out of the safe and fondle it from time to time. It's kinda spend just to look at and needs a brother if I'm going to use it in CAS.

FH

I bought a NIB consecutive numbered set of stainless 4 5/8" Lipsey's .44 spl Vaqueros from the Tejas Trading Post in Gibbons, TX last year and they have become my newest favorite pistols.

It seems most folks looking for a .44 want a .44 magnum, and they couldn't get rid of them so I got a very nice price on the set - even with shipping and transfer fee, they were less than the going rate for New Vaqueros in .357 or .45. :) I found another identical one ten days later at Thunderstick Trading in Tucson for $2 less, also NIB... gotta have a backup ya know. ;)

Archived