SASS Wire Forum

What are the odds on duplicating this!

Waco Jim

Yesterday I shot a local SASS match and I'm shooting my Uberti 73, using .38 cal ammo. About halfway through the rifle string, my rifle jams with the lever open. I look down and there's a spent cartridge case wedged under the firing pin extension and the notch of the cocked hammer and the rifle frame. The spent case was wedged in there tight enough I had to wiggle it a bunch to clear it. All the time the clock is running. After clearing the jammed cartridge case, I continued the rifle string and no rounds were jacked and no load on the clock required. I can not get my head around how this is possible and if someone told me this story I would not believe it, but there were witnesses including Buck D. Law who was the TO and Sidekick as well. Can anyone explain how this is even possible?

Waco

Well, if Buck D. Law was close by, that explains alot..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Waco....you weren't shooting gunfighter...were you? If so I'm sure ole Buck slipped that casing up under in there. :D :D

Yesterday I shot a local SASS match and I'm shooting my Uberti 73, using .38 cal ammo. About halfway through the rifle string, my rifle jams with the lever open. I look down and there's a spent cartridge case wedged under the firing pin extension and the notch of the cocked hammer and the rifle frame. The spent case was wedged in there tight enough I had to wiggle it a bunch to clear it. All the time the clock is running. After clearing the jammed cartridge case, I continued the rifle string and no rounds were jacked and no load on the clock required. I can not get my head around how this is possible and if someone told me this story I would not believe it, but there were witnesses including Buck D. Law who was the TO and Sidekick as well. Can anyone explain how this is even possible?

Waco

I may have to change my name to Murphy, because twice last month (my first shoot ever no less), the Rossi 92 I was borrowing had an empty case still in the action after a shot. Both times I had to do the same thing and quickly get the round out and keep shooting.

Perhaps I haven't explained the scenerio clearly and Buck is a good Pard and would not do such a thing. The spent case in question landed in this spot after ejecting from my rifle or it could have landed on my hat brim and rolled off. Whatever the situation, to have this perfect landing, at the perfect time, is beyond belief and if I had not seen it I would not believe it either. To add to the sceneario did you notice I said there was not a jacked round?

Waco

The odds of this happening, to me, seems beyond the odds of winning the lottery. I haven't had an opportunity to test it, but I believe if you levered a 73, closed the action leaving the hammer back, placed an empty case in the "cradle" and closed it, it would squirt out the case. Too many rounded surfaces trying to avoid each other.

The only explanation I can think of is: Gun has been cocked and the trigger pulled. (Go to slow motion) As the hammer falls, a case that was from a couple shots earlier falls into the gap and the speed at which the hammer was coming down caused the case to crush (much like shooting a case) thereby flattening it, with still enough energy against the extension to fire the round in the chamber. Now it's trapped. As the lever comes down and the extension comes back, it brings the hammer as far back as possible, but the case thickness is effectively increasing the length of the extension which prevents the lever from being fully extended to eject the spent case.

When the rifle jammed, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Waco, Widder, Grizz and Kajun all know me and are messin' with me. I'll get them later. :)

To answer your original question, "What are the odds?"

In practice: 1 in a million

Next match: 50/50

Fillmore

I would think( bad for me to do)every time you shoot a 10 shot string the chance would be one in ten.

I would think( bad for me to do)every time you shoot a 10 shot string the chance would be one in ten.

Wouldn't it be one in nine, though, since you are going to leave the lever open after ejecting the 10th round?

Unless you closed it on purpose after the 10th round of course.

:D

Actually, the odds are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Are the odds different for brass vs. nickel? I'm thinking the two metals would interact differently with the metal the hammer is made of...and the metal the extension is made of. :ph34r:

You've heard of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy? I'm introducing Deep BS by Buck D. Law. :blink:

The odds of it happening to me are ZERO.....I shoot a Marlin.

The odds of it happening once to WACO.....100%.

How else can it be figured?

..........Widder

Are the odds different for brass vs. nickel? I'm thinking the two metals would interact differently with the metal the hammer is made of...and the metal the extension is made of. :ph34r:

You've heard of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy? I'm introducing Deep BS by Buck D. Law. :blink:

Ah.....that explains why I get these strange looks when I try to apply the SASS rules ole Buck taught me in my RO1/RO2 class at Ambush. :P:D:lol:

Archived