SASS Wire Forum

Sonic and Chilis

Ruff

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't bother me at all since I don't walk around with open carry or sling a rifle on my shoulder. These OC guys are ruining it for the majority of us who are concealed carry folks. All these establishments are not posting NO GUNS they're simply ASKING you to not bring guns in to their restaurants. Do you blame 'em?? Someone with a rifle slung around his shoulder scares the heck out of people!!! If there isn't a NO GUNS sign I carry concealed, if there's a NO GUN sign I don't go in and usually tell the mgr. why.

--Rye

Rye said it well enough I can't add a thing! :)

Yup.

I'm not sure they could tell if you're openly carrying or not at Sonic, seeing as how it's a drive-in.

I wonder if they'll say anything about the pickups with guns in racks.

And there's a bunch around here. :D

Yeah - OC guys are real bad :rolleyes: Just lump those who are responsible OC guys into the few that are idiots. Thanks...

I would side with these fellers in the link below anyday...

http://www.miopencarry.org/

Stay in the closet if you want though...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

What is this open carry thing in Texas.I don't open carry and I think that the ones that do open carry hurt us.

Yeah - OC guys are real bad :rolleyes: Just lump those who are responsible OC guys into the few that are idiots. Thanks...

I would side with these fellers in the link below anyday...

http://www.miopencarry.org/

Stay in the closet if you want though...

Didn't say they were bad. But some really hurt our cause. The idiots get the publicity and we have to do damage control.

But if these establishment want to say No Open Carry please and don't have a problem with concealed carry then I have no problem with them.

Didn't say they were bad. But some really hurt our cause. The idiots get the publicity and we have to do damage control.

But if these establishment want to say No Open Carry please and don't have a problem with concealed carry then I have no problem with them.

Never said I had a problem with the companies - just the attitude with the CC guys on the rights of OC guys and the whining of 'They ruin for all us' thing. Again - I support OC as defined and exhibited in the link I provided.

We need to support gun rights across the board and educate the public.

Anyway - this subject has come up so often it's become ad nauseam. have fun ;)

I will not support open carry unilaterally.

I will not support open carry unilaterally.

Nobody asked you to support open carry unilaterally.

Doesn't look like these folks in the link had any problems by exercising their OC display in support of their 2nd Amendment right responsibly & respectfully.

:ttp://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/

I like how it's addressed here:

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/index.php/editorials/37-straight-talk-about-open-carry

Now with that said I won't be carrying my AR anywhere 'on public streets, restaurants, coffee shops, or whatever' ...I may however carry while participating in large 2nd Amendment rally - but that's just me and what I feel would be responsible and respectful whilst exercising my right.

Special note, I do not know if this information can be applied to other states.

In Florida, we do not have OC and there are certain places where concealed carry is prohibited by state and Federal law. Chili's, Sonic, malls, movie complexes and the like are not among them.

Even though a establishment may have signs posted that declare "No Firearms or Weapons Allowed", the worst that can happen is that they will call law enforcement and trespass you. Of course you would have to somehow expose your firearm for them to know. If that did happen and they ask you to leave.......you leave right away with no arguement or hesitation.........otherwise it is armed trespass.

I personally don't care if there is a sign posted at a business, what they can't see can't hurt them. The only reason most have signs of this nature is the mistaken belief that they will not get sued in the event someone is forced to protect themselves against a forcible felony. It's just like all those cameras everywhere, they're not there for YOUR protection, they're there for the establishment's own protection against lawsuits and employee/customer theft.

For the record, I am not a legal professional nor in law enforcement.

CS

I open carry when it is hot or when I am in and out of my vehicle repeatedly. I don't see any reason to put on a coat or jacket every time I get out of my vehicle, particularly when it's a hundred degrees in the shade! In my home state we have a carry permit. It does not differentiate between open and concealed. I've carried legally for over twenty years since the permits were first issued and I carried concealed only for nearly twenty years before that because certain municipalities had oppressive carry laws. In all of that time, NO ONE has seemed put off by my open carry, and quite often folks will offer an "Attaboy!" to their interaction with me.

At one time my employer required that I carry during business hours and to and from work because of the area where we were located and because I was responsible for large amounts of cash. The city had strict laws agains concealed carry and required a special permit to carry at all, but law enforcement turned a blind eye to businessmen and other legitimate interests that had to protect themselves. Thank God those days are gone!!

I figure if they're not waving a gun around and threatening people then they are doing no harm, and those who take exception or are offended by them for it need to learn to tend to their own knitting. If I don't support their rights openly and evenly, why should I expect anyone to support my rights? We shouldn't denigrate or ridicule anyone who stands up for our 2A rights so long as they don't break the law in doing so. We should also push and pound our legislatures and city and county councils and such to have those restrictions rescinded!!

The problem here is with TX. Law, it only permits the OC of long guns.

We have Full OC here in AZ and it works just fine thank you. Nary a problem with the odd exception of the occasional tenderfoot tourist wetting their panties.

If someone goes into hysterics because I have a weapon on me they're the one with the problem.

I suggest they seek professional help for their hoplophobia.

States have different laws regarding concealed and open carry. Here in Nevada it is illegal to carry in a place that serves liquor. Chili's would be one and so no carry no matter what anyone thinks. I would check your local CCW laws. It's more than a a Trespass violation.

Ike

GOA (and many other pro-firearm groups) support legal open carry when - as already suggested - is responsible and respectful.

per the article you posted:

In summary, NRA certainly does not support bans on personalized guns or on carrying firearms in public, including in restaurants. We think people are intelligent enough to resolve these issues in a reasonable way for themselves. But when people act without thinking, or without consideration for others – especially when it comes to firearms – they set the stage for further restrictions on our rights.

As I was saying...

...and instead of 'staying n the closet' with firearms we need to be activists and work at changing public perception...part of that is outlined in responsible and respectful public gatherings such as organized 2nd Amendment marches put on by respected pro-2nd Amendment groups...guns in public CAN be a good thing.

Great article, thanks. They said it better than I did but yea, exactly!

Rye ;)

I open carry when it is hot or when I am in and out of my vehicle repeatedly. I don't see any reason to put on a coat or jacket every time I get out of my vehicle, particularly when it's a hundred degrees in the shade! In my home state we have a carry permit. It does not differentiate between open and concealed. I've carried legally for over twenty years since the permits were first issued and I carried concealed only for nearly twenty years before that because certain municipalities had oppressive carry laws. In all of that time, NO ONE has seemed put off by my open carry, and quite often folks will offer an "Attaboy!" to their interaction with me.

At one time my employer required that I carry during business hours and to and from work because of the area where we were located and because I was responsible for large amounts of cash. The city had strict laws agains concealed carry and required a special permit to carry at all, but law enforcement turned a blind eye to businessmen and other legitimate interests that had to protect themselves. Thank God those days are gone!!

I figure if they're not waving a gun around and threatening people then they are doing no harm, and those who take exception or are offended by them for it need to learn to tend to their own knitting. If I don't support their rights openly and evenly, why should I expect anyone to support my rights? We shouldn't denigrate or ridicule anyone who stands up for our 2A rights so long as they don't break the law in doing so. We should also push and pound our legislatures and city and county councils and such to have those restrictions rescinded!!

100% We are all in this together - a house divided will fall.

"The open carry people ruin it for everyone!"

"Why is that?"

"Because people panic when they see someone with a gun!"

"Well, why do they panic?"

"Because they aren't used to seeing people carrying guns! They think anyone with a gun is going to just spray bullets all around them!"

"Uh...if they never see people peacefully and safely exercising their 2nd Amendment civil rights, then how will they ever get used to it?"

Short term it may hurt, especially with the press and internet making a big stink about it. But long term, as people see that 99 7/8% of gun owners don't fit the Hollywood and press stereotype, I think they help.

responsible and respectful.

And there it is.

Does my heart good to see I'm not the only one supportive of these OC people.

This isn't the first time I've disagreed with the NRA and I'm sure it won't be the last. They don't like to pick fights they're not 100% positive they can win. I try not to hold that against them.

I'd also like to point out that the writer of the NRA article seems to either be misinformed or is deliberately mis-characterizing the OC activists. Well, either that or everything I'm hearing about how polite and considerate they're being is wrong. When they're getting permission for everything they do ahead of time and are prepared to leave as soon as they are asked to by the people in charge, that can hardly be called 'acting without thinking' or 'lack of manners'.

Does my heart good to see I'm not the only one supportive of these OC people. This isn't the first time I've disagreed with the NRA and I'm sure it won't be the last. They don't like to pick fights they're not 100% positive they can win. I try not to hold that against them. I'd also like to point out that the writer of the NRA article seems to either be misinformed or is deliberately mis-characterizing the OC activists. Well, either that or everything I'm hearing about how polite and considerate they're being is wrong. When they're getting permission for everything they do ahead of time and are prepared to leave as soon as they are asked to by the people in charge, that can hardly be called 'acting without thinking' or 'lack of manners'.

+1

GG

Seems the NRA is 'negotiating' with Bloomberg. No comment.... :rolleyes:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-WB-46108

GG

For those of you who think that the open carry crowd is not hurting the situation. Open Carry was legalhere in California untill the OC crowd, push OC to the point that the state outlawed open carry

For those of you who think that the open carry crowd is not hurting the situation. Open Carry was legalhere in California untill the OC crowd, push OC to the point that the state outlawed open carry

On the other hand, if not for that open carry ban, the 9th circuit would not have struck down the San Diego interpretation, and by extension, the entire CA "might issue" law. Since the "might issue" law coupled with the ban on open carry amounted to an effective total ban on the right to bear arms in much of the state, and for a huge percentage of the population, the 9th found it the state violated our civil rights. So, as I said, in the long run, they help.

On the other hand, if not for that open carry ban, the 9th circuit would not have struck down the San Diego interpretation, and by extension, the entire CA "might issue" law. Since the "might issue" law coupled with the ban on open carry amounted to an effective total ban on the right to bear arms in much of the state, and for a huge percentage of the population, the 9th found it the state violated our civil rights. So, as I said, in the long run, they help.

is this the same one that Kamla Harris filed those illegal papers( what ever they are called) and the 9th circus court overturned itself ?? or did I just miss where they over turned what they had just overturned ???

is this the same one that Kamla Harris filed those illegal papers( what ever they are called) and the 9th circus court overturned itself ?? or did I just miss where they over turned what they had just overturned ???

It hasn't reversed itself, but did put a stay on it pending an en banc hearing. Unless I missed something in the past month, anyway. In either case, Peruta will likely end up in SCOTUS. Still not a bad thing.

Archived