SASS Wire Forum

Walk Home From School Costs Dad $200...and Probation!

Skid Roper

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/29/hawaii-man-gets-probation-for-making-kid-walk-1-mile-judge-calls-it-old-school/

How ridiculous.

I walked home from school every day up until I got a driver's license, never once thinking it was punishment and most of the time carrying a book bag, football pads and a tenor saxophone.

Uphill both ways if I remember right.

I don't know what the policy is now, but back in the 80's my school district could require kids to walk up to a mile to a pickup point. I doubt that is true any more, because I occasionally get stuck behind a bus that stops at each house in a row of five or six that are side by side. The kids are standing in their respective driveways and talking to one another.

We need to start slapping these Judges upside the head.

I usually walked a mile and a half from where the bus dropped me off from school. And at times I walked a mile and a half in the mornings to where the bus picked us kiddos up! Cold, Hot, snow.... we walked if dad couldnt take me. I now realize how abused I was as a kid... even got a spanking if I was bad... and oh was I a handful. I was just glad my dad didnt take me out.

The only harm I got out of it was making me a man and accept responsibilities.

Tascosa

When I was in high school, I used to walk 2 miles everyday to & from school. I was usually pretty tired on the going home walk as it was always after football, wrestling or baseball practice.

If I was the parent in this situation I don't think I'd be as contrite as this father. Today government is too intrusive in parenting!!

In the '50s and '60s when I went to school, you couldn't even ride the bus if you lived within a mile and a half as the crow flies from school. If you rode the bus, you walked to the end of the street or to a bus stop up to a quarter of a mile away! Sometimes on rainy days one of my parents would give me and my sister a ride to school, but we had rain coats and we used them.

One township that I lived in, you walked from my house down to the power line right of way, (about 200 yards) walked a mile along the power lines and a half a mile on a sidewalk along a four lane state highway! The sidewalk went over a bridge that transversed the New Jersey Turnpike. We never thought anything about it. It was just what we all did!!

That judge ought to have her tail kicked off the bench!!

I think the key thing here is the (unknown) age of the boy. If he was less than a teenager, I might think of another form of discipline. A high schooler.......keep on walking bub.

EC

When my son was in his first year of middle school He called me at work and told me he missed the bus home after school. He was given two options wait there until I finished work in about an hour or start walking to my office which was the police station! He chose to walk, I guess I should have arrested myself.

As for me I never saw a school bus we walked and I don't remember any such thing as a snow day

I grew up in a small North Georgia town. It's still a small North Georgia town. We lived about a mile from the school and my mother would take us in the mornings because we would constantly be late if she didn't. The afternoons, we were on our own. The police chief, Fat Albert, was there to help us cross U.S. 129. I guess we were too stupid to watch the traffic light and cross on our own. We had to walk home, up hill, in the blinding snow being constantly attacked by wolves, bears and wild Indians. I had the option of riding my bike in the morning so I would have a bike for the trip home after school, but I was too much into instant gratification to turn down the morning ride. I was so abused as a child which probably explains my lack of political correctness as an adult.

And lets not even get into the negligent abuses my parents heaped on me. No cell phone, no x-box, no cable television, no microwave. Nothing. I had to go out into the world and entertain myself.

We din't have no yeller school bus in Chester, it were for the local kids that lived out of town.

In grade school, I walked to school after I finished my morning paper route each week day morning, In the evening I walked home after delivering my after school paper route.

When I got to high school, I rode into town with my Dad and then walked the mile to school. After school, and football practice I walked the two miles home for supper.

However, Chester was not filled with sex deviates that tried to lure young kids into their car for nefarious purposes.

Maybe if we treated this scum a little differently in the penality department the kids could walk home.

The lusty use of a knife and rope come to mind.

When I was in 1st -3rd grade I had to walk about a mile, going through 3 gates that kept the cows in the right field. No sexual deviates, but I had to walk around a few cows that liked to lay on the dirt road. At the end of the road I would catch the bus. We had 45 kids in our 2 room school. 1-4th in one room and a teacher., and 5-8th in the other with the other teacher. I just have to laugh when my kids teachers say they have too many kids to give any individual attention. My first teacher taught 4 different grades in the same room. Even the teachers were tougher in the old days.

Apparently the Judicial system in Lihue, Hawaii has a very low estimation of the safety of their beautiful city. Of course, the judicial system is usually the reason for the level of safety so who would know better...

The problem now a days is that the pacifists that got laws changed so that you really can't do anything but talk to your kid or you get arrested. In my day all my parents had to do was threaten with the belt and I knew what would happen. Now the kids just tell the parents to go ahead and hit them and they will call the police.

This country will become helpless if it keeps going the same way with all these namby pamby laws and PC correct ramblings. I have noticed that many of the kids now a days don't even have any common sense. They have no idea about cause and effect.

enough ranting on my part......just had to say something

Allie does have a point, and I'm reserving my judgement until we hear how old the lad is. There's a difference between a first or second grader and a strapping high-schooler.

The news from Lihue on the same day has a story about a person pleading "no contest" to charges of sexual assault of a minor between the age of six and nine.

Now the kids just tell the parents to go ahead and hit them and they will call the police.

One of my kids tried that one time, I will not repeat what I actually said.but is some where along the lines of, Go ahead and call, I will even dial the number, but just wait till I get out

So it's dangerous for the kid to walk home because of traffic? Thank God he will be strapped in a vehicle, that has a 20 to 30 gallon potential fire bomb strapped to said vehicle as they negotiate traffic against speeders, drunks, and reckless drivers!

I got in trouble for letting my oldest daughter walk one block to school. Could watch her all the way to the front door. The bus ride would have been over thirty minutes and she wanted to use that time to sleep in a little longer. So I began to drive her on my way to work, they didn't like that either. Couldn't win either way.

When I was in 1st -3rd grade I had to walk about a mile, going through 3 gates that kept the cows in the right field. No sexual deviates, but I had to walk around a few cows that liked to lay on the dirt road. At the end of the road I would catch the bus. We had 45 kids in our 2 room school. 1-4th in one room and a teacher., and 5-8th in the other with the other teacher. I just have to laugh when my kids teachers say they have too many kids to give any individual attention. My first teacher taught 4 different grades in the same room. Even the teachers were tougher in the old days.

Exactly like the school I went to in Sandhill, Texas. Sack lunches, baseball at recess, and no indoor toilets.........no cows....just cotton fields. :lol:

Guest Half-a-Hand Henri

Wonder what a judge would have done to my dad...when my three brothers and I misbehaved while he was driving, he booted us all out of the vehicle and made us walk in front of the car for a mile or so!

I'd be sorely tempted to sell my car, take public transportation to work, and DEMAND that my kids be picked up curbside everyday by a big yellow school bus.

They want to take charge of everything, let 'em.

Tell the judge that when my $200.00 runs out to float another school bond to pay for the bus fare.

...you couldn't even ride the bus if you lived within a mile and a half as the crow flies from school....

That must have been the rule where I was, too. I lived almost exactly one mile from school. This was a very rainy town, and when the rain was particularly heavy, it was better to walk the half-mile AWAY from school to catch a bus than to walk the usual one mile to school in the rain. There was a special raincoat-drying area in each classroom. Don't even see galoshes (overshoes) any more.

When I was in school we had a range you had to live outside from the school before a bus would pick you up. I don't know what the number was but we lived a mile and a half from all my schools, which were right next to each other, and I walked, or rode my bike everyday. Growing up in the PNW that made for some very soggy strolls. That being said, I'd also like to know more of the details behind his. I'm hoping there was more to it than just making the kid walk to warrant judicial punishment.

Archived