SASS Wire Forum

my opinion of the new Winchester 1873....45

Hashknife Cowboy

Recently while driving past a gun shop in Prescott Valley, AZ, I suffered an indescribable urge to stop and check out what lurks within a gun store. Most of us involved CAS are infected with an affliction that draws us into gun shops wherever we are.

Much to my surprise, there one on the rack, a “new almost fictional Winchester 1873 in .45.”

Here is my opinion of the rifle that left the store with me.

Winchester kept to the original design, mostly. Except for a firing pin that is rebounding, multiple-piece design. My rifle is fitted with a round, 20-inch barrel, a crescent butt plate and a steel-capped forearm. The bluing is polished and nicely done. The wood is very nice walnut with a subtle satin finish and is very well fitted to the metal. The rear barrel sight is a buckhorn and the front is Marble’s gold bead. Older vision approved. There is a caliber engraving on the bottom of the brass cartridge lifter.

Before I shot it I just had to peek inside. I pulled off the off-side plate and much to my surprise all contact surfaces were brightly polished. Everything was fitted together nicely as one should be for the just over a $1000.00 price tag.

Range time was at 50 yards, factory Black Hills 250 gr lead and consistent grouping of 3 shots at 1.4 inches from a rest. Smooth action, clean trigger pull and not excessive, about 4 lbs. Even out to 100 yards it was still a consistent shooter. Granted, one could sip their coffee in the time it took the bullet to hit at that distance but you’d hit.

Overall, a tremendous rifle, built right and very glad I found one.

I just saw some available here in Canada on Line.

I can't handle it but I'm sure tempted.

Even more so after reading your post. Decisions Decisions!

Frenchy

Howdy Dave: Sounds to me that you got your self a good one. Have to look for one in .357 /.38. Still using Beretta Renegade and excellent shooting rifle.

Your description of the looks of it sounds great.

Take care.

JRJ

I feel very fortunate, needed a new 45 LC after mine went downat a match & was sent for repair. Happened to goto an auction that a collector was having. Watchingthe prices I thought I would not be in the running, but a 1972 NIB Saddle Ring Winchester 94 Carbine in 45 LC came up & I got.it for way under 1K an it is very consistant as well. Glad to hear someone else had good fortune as well.

Charlie

I recently purchase a new Winchester in 44/40. The fit and finish is great. The gun is very smooth out of the box. The inside of the receiver is nice and smooth with no tool marks. The only tool marks that I could find was on the lifting arm. The gun is made VERY WELL!! I would say it is made slightly better than the Uberti's.

It is much smoother out of the box than any of my Uberti's were.It shoots well, but it is not race ready. Competition ready yes, but not race ready. I am going to have Cody go through it and make a Cody Matic out of it. :)

Cheatin'

I have bought my last Uberti 1860/1866/1873. Tired of broken extractors, lever springs and rust in mag tubes.

I am shooting originals now that just seem to run fine, and 100+ year old guns have a mature finish that seems impervious to surface rust if you keep them lightly oiled.

I am hoping to find one of these new 1873s from Winchester-Miroku. Can't decide on a caliber since I mostly shoot .38-40 and .32-20.

Given I am not even competition ready yet and will never be race ready myself, competition ready will be just fine for me. If we get real the 92s I shoot are not slowing me down at all.

Come fall I will be in position to jump on one in 44-40 just in case I get seriously drawn to the dark side.

Welcome to the new winchester. Have had mine for almost a yr and just had Cody do his thing to it. You will want to sleep next to it at night that's how much you are going to like it. But do not let it come between you and your spouse. Just bought another case hardened one and Cody has that one also. Mine are 38/357. Have fun.

So who sells race parts for the new Japanese Winchester, such as short stroke links, lighter lifters, lighter springs, etc.?

PGW ... (likely others too ... or soon) ...didn't check others but noticed PGW had been selling stuff for them for quite a while ...

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/

I recently purchased one too.......it didn't even lever it before I sent it to Cody Conager.

Really? :blink: Not even once?! ;) Your a tough cookie, for sure! :) My curiosity would not stand for that! :lol:

Archived