SASS Wire Forum

We Lost a good man today

Dirt Merchant  # 61422

Witch Doctor- if you would, please put mine and Opal Rose's name on a shell for the tribute salute for Matt.

I've known Matt for over 10 years and yet never met him. I've been a sales rep for aerospace manufacturers and he was my engineer at Lockheed I would talk with and work with. It took half that time to find out he was a Cowboy Action Shooter and we bonded immediatly after that. We would talk guns, stages, shooting techiques and just about anything SASS. We would talk about meeting up at EOT and giving it a try in NM. Matt had an open invite to come to So Cal and try our annual matches. Catherine was big on Roy and Dale and being in the RR_ Regulators I would send them stuff we would get at our matches associated with the Rogers. Some of the photos I've seen here show Matt wearing the gun belt I made for him and I was talking with him about making holsters to match. Opal Rose made him the blue arm garters he is seen wearing as well for esophageal cancer. He was a survivor and put up a hell of a fight. Unfortunately I didnt see this post earlier and called his wife to see how he was doing- I felt like I was hit by a freight train when she told me he was no longer with us. Matt was my friend and is missed. My prayers are for him and his family. Today is truly a sad day. Those of you Cowboys and Cowgirls that met or talked with Matt are richer for it. Happy Trails my friend. Stephen "Pack Rat" Read

I will be happy (and honored) to do this for you Pack Rat. I have a list started. You don't have to tell us what a fighter Matt was. Every word out of his mouth was upbeat and he shot his last match - 3 weeks before he passed on - clean! He started every match for us with the cowboy prayer. Someone is going to have to step up and help us get the next match started with a prayer, knowing that we'll all be thinking about Matt the whole time. I have to imagine that he'll be looking down at us and touching us with his sunny - slightly goofy - smile. This is the hard part about how much we value those other folks in our sport. It hurts immensely when we lose them. I'm sorry for your loss, as well as ours. I'm starting to understand what a vast network of friends he had. Thanks again for your kind words and sending your names - Matt will get the message....WD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The service for Mean Matt McCord was very nice. The Cowboy Community was well represented. There will be another Memorial Service on Saturday, June 7th, at the Riverbend Annual Match (8 stages, $35).

Present at the Memorial Service were

Joe West and Jorgene West

Gun Walker

GA Slick, $3 Rose

Rufus Cogburn

Panhandle Peck

Bandana Redd

Buckshot Barry

Fast Eddie

McKensie River Drifter

Witch Doctor

Pig Iron Lane

Krazy Kajun

Rolan Kraps

Bea Itchin’

Yazoo City Gal

Judge‘M All Duncan

Cassalong Hoppity and Lisa

Whiskey Business

Bucky Buscadero

Paiute Pathfinder

John M. Bozeman

Little Maverick

Doc Griffith

I hope I didn’t forget anyone.

The service for Mean Matt McCord was very nice. The Cowboy Community was well represented. There will be another Memorial Service on Saturday, June 7th, at the Riverbend Annual Match (8 stages, $35).

Present at the Memorial Service were

Joe West and Jorgene West

Gun Walker

GA Slick, $3 Rose

Rufus Cogburn

Panhandle Peck

Bandana Redd

Buckshot Barry

Fast Eddie

McKensie River Drifter

Witch Doctor

Pig Iron Lane

Krazy Kajun

Rolan Kraps

Bea Itchin’

Yazoo City Gal

Judge‘M All Duncan

Cass Vickers

Whiskey Business

Bucky Buscadero

Paiute Pathfinder

John M. Bozeman

I hope I didn’t forget anyone.

You did miss a person or two, Rolan. Little Maverick was there with his mom - she had to drive him because Done Gone couldn't get off work today. Also Cassalong's beautiful wife Lisa was there with him. (you know - the Florida wife). It was a nicely done service and it was comforting to see so many of his cowboy friends gathered. Judge gave a nice talk too. It was wonderful to see him up and about. See you at Round Up....WD

I think that Matt would have gotten a chuckle out of the preacher's mistake as well...

"Matt had a passion for, uh, (to family) you need to help me with this, "Mascara"?

Naturally, he misread the notes. He meant "NASCAR". :)

We'll miss you Matt!

Archived