We Lost a good man today

Dirt Merchant  # 61422

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RiverbendJune2013078.jpg
RiverbendJune2013076.jpg
RiverbendJune2013079.jpg
Matt always liked my "Screwball" matches like turning Starwars into a western, or the movie "Airplane!", or Zombies in UnDeadwood. He posed for this picture for "UNDeadwood"
RiverbendJune2013002.jpg
1fa425f3-642d-48ad-8ab1-785703f30e57.jpg
RiverbendMay2014078.jpg
RiverbendSeptember2013022.jpg
Click Picture to start Video
th_RiverbendSeptember2013032.jpg
RiverbendSeptember2013025.jpg
RiverbendSeptember2013021.jpg

Having never met the man, except here on the wire, I could tell that he was a unique, strong, loving person. My condolences to his loved ones.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

This is really horrible news; my heart and prayers go out to Matt's Family and Friends. Life can be cruel; may God Bless his soul1

Hoss C.

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

So very sorry to hear this. Never got to meet him but I have always enjoyed him on the Wire. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Matt was an easy man to meet, easier still to like. We relied on him to lead us in prayer at the start of the River Bend matches, and they were invariably thoughtful and from the heart. Matt was a gentle friend to so many of us, a man who lived passionately and well. He was quick to help with match reports, cooking or anything else that needed to be done. He was certainly an example for us, not only by way of his courage and strength in facing the adversity and pain of cancer, but by the grace with which he went through life. Rest now in peace, Matt, and may your family and friends find comfort in the truth of God's promises. Until our trails cross again--

Cass

Matt was always quick with a handshake and a smile. He was just a good, decent guy who was always there to help or encourage, as needed. He left a big hole in our North Georgia Cowboy community and I'm going to miss him.

Godspeed Mean Matt McCord.

Truly saddened by the news. Matt and I sent PM's to each other and he gave me helpful words of encouragement when I had my cancer. He was one of the people I wish I could have met.

Dammit!

I always read Matt's posts and enjoyed them. I never met him in person, and that is my loss, but I did swap PM's with him a while back and he was on my list of folks I'd like to shoot with. Now that day will have to wait until we meet again.

My deepest sympathies and most sincere condolences to his family and numerous friends. Our SASS world just got a little smaller and a whole lot poorer.

Condolences to family and friends

A top hand that rode for the brand

12 and Pat

Prayers up for the Family and Friends.

I did not have the pleasure to meet Matt. Clearly, if judged by the company here, that was my loss. Prayers up for his family and praise Jesus. †

I was headed to south river in March or April for the monthly shoot , ran into Mean Matt and GunWalker at McD's ,so we had breakfast together , Mean Matt had us laughing so hard we left there crying , that was one side of Matt I didn't know about , he was a natural.

RIP Mean Matt

The name was Mean but the man sure wasn't. A purer soul we haven't met. He was a good pard. Lucky to have him for the years we did, but it was just too short.

Ride on.

What happened to Mean Matt? Why is he gone? I just got back... and this is not good news.

Ahh heck... this is not what I wanted to come back to...

Please let me know..

ts

Hello TS. It is our loss that Matt was called up to the major league prayer posse last Tuesday. Krazy Kajun talked with Gunwalker yesterday afternoon and he provided information for the memorial service for Mean Matt McCord (Matthew Ogilvie). It will be held on Saturday May 31st at 3pm at the Crossroads Community Church in Woodstock. The church is located at 2317 Bascomb Carmel Rd, Woodstock GA 30189. Cowboy clothes are welcome. At River Bend, we will be holding a shotgun salute for our dear friend before the match on Saturday, June 7th. That happens to be the date for our Round Up at River Bend 8 stage annual match - so a lot of Matt's friends will be on hand for his cowboy sendoff. If you can't come and want to be part of the tribute posse - give me your name - we will write it on a shotgun shell and make sure it gets shot when we line up for his salute. Witch Doctor

Witch Doctor- if you would, please put mine and Opal Rose's name on a shell for the tribute salute for Matt.

I've known Matt for over 10 years and yet never met him. I've been a sales rep for aerospace manufacturers and he was my engineer at Lockheed I would talk with and work with. It took half that time to find out he was a Cowboy Action Shooter and we bonded immediatly after that. We would talk guns, stages, shooting techiques and just about anything SASS. We would talk about meeting up at EOT and giving it a try in NM. Matt had an open invite to come to So Cal and try our annual matches. Catherine was big on Roy and Dale and being in the RR_ Regulators I would send them stuff we would get at our matches associated with the Rogers. Some of the photos I've seen here show Matt wearing the gun belt I made for him and I was talking with him about making holsters to match. Opal Rose made him the blue arm garters he is seen wearing as well for esophageal cancer. He was a survivor and put up a hell of a fight. Unfortunately I didnt see this post earlier and called his wife to see how he was doing- I felt like I was hit by a freight train when she told me he was no longer with us. Matt was my friend and is missed. My prayers are for him and his family. Today is truly a sad day. Those of you Cowboys and Cowgirls that met or talked with Matt are richer for it. Happy Trails my friend. Stephen "Pack Rat" Read

Archived