SASS Wire Forum

Can ammo go off

This just came up in a discussion between my son and a friend and they asked me. Can ammo get hot enough in the back of a pickup, or anywhere else in an auto, to go off? I said no and I've never heard of it happening, but that doesn't make it so. I, and they, know it does go off in a fire. Anyone with the experience of it going off in a vehicle?

Probably not hot enough without a fire.......... Here's some fire/ammo testing , kinda long but interesting in places.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&feature=kp

Mink.............

It will not get hot enough to detonate, BUT it will get hot enough, if left long enough in constant heat to start degrading the properties of the propellent. Result, complete loss of accuracy.

I teach Concealed Carry classes in Southern Nevada and students are always forgetting or running short on ammo, so I always have a box of 45acp, 40 S&W, 9mm and 38spl in my truck. If ammo doesn't go off at 125 degrees (especially inside a truck where the inside temp will be 20 to 25 degrees warmer than the outside temp) - I don't think normal weather extremes will set it off.

Howdy,

Ever hear of desert warfare called due to ammo blowing up?

Best

CR

Nope, but you get tank ammo hot enough and it will - as Rommel and Patton both learned in WW II. The British I believe coined a phrase from it: "Brewing Up". Usually the amount of heat required was a gasoline fire in the main compartment. :ph34r: Well over a normal vehicle temperature.

The first component in our ammo that would be troublesome would be the bullet lube, at about 160-180 degrees F for some of the softer lubes. That's why boxes that keep the lubed bullet down are handy - can not ruin the powder in case the lube starts running.

Long term exposure to temps in the 125 degree range are reported to be detrimental to powder over a period of several years. The little bit of remaining sulfuric and nitric acids in the nitrocelluose tend to make the powder a little self-decomposing.

Good luck, GJ

I've heard that the spg lube used for bullets for BP will melt in really hot weather.

Rye

Two weeks ago I was up at the ranch shooting. There was chill in the air, so we had a fire going. I was shooting off of a table in front of the fire using my 223 H&R Varmint rifle. I started to close the action, but opened it again.... the ejector threw the round out and right into the coals of the fire..... we all moved back, and shortly heard a very small "poof"... I've got the round... the Ballistic tip is melted off, and the primer is gone. I've read that ammo in a fire would not blow up or discharge to any degree........... guess the article was right!

Snakebite

Probably not hot enough without a fire.......... Here's some fire/ammo testing , kinda long but interesting in places.............

Mink.............

Yep - pretty much answers all the questions.

It don't have to be very hot either-

That's why I use DGL.

LG

What's DGL??? I use Desperado bullets and they're lubed with Thomson lube which seems to hold up to extreme weather.

Rye

What's DGL??? I use Desperado bullets and they're lubed with Thomson lube which seems to hold up to extreme weather.

Rye

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/689293/dgl-bullet-lube-12-oz-tub

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Primers (largely lead styphnate) auto ignite around 600 deg F. So, smokeless powder will light up before the primer.

Winchester rates their powders a little higher for the auto-ignition temperature - 200 C or about 400 F.

Good luck, GJ

Mink.............

I've never seen this video, it is interesting in places.

Pretty much as I thought, no real danger in leaving ammo in the back of a truck on a hot day, just not best practices. And ammo in a fire goes off, just not dangerously in the vast majority of situations. I use SPG lube, didn't know about DGL

Thanks all!

Archived